MB 4.0.1: New Interface

siliconman01

• Staff
5 hours ago, roger_m said:

Thanks for the reply.  When you click above or blow the bar in the scrollbar, instead of the usual Windows behaviour of moving up a down page, the bar moves to where the mouse pointer is.

The second issue, is that there no way to select threats individually.  There no option to be able to select or deselect every file and registry key belonging to a particular threat, other than manually clicking on every individual files and registry key that belongs to a particular threat.  This is a serious limitation.  Due to the very aggressive detection of PUPs, there are often programs detected, that I don't want to quarantine.

I'm not sure what Windows behavior you are referring to, but I just tested both in Chrome and Windows Explorer (in Windows 7; it may differ in 10) and the scroll bar goes to where the mouse pointer is.

As for detections, while it is true that there is no way to select all detections related to a specific application/infection, you can use the empty checkbox at the very top of the list to select all/clear all checkboxes so if you have a PUP detection you wish to exclude, just click that checkbox and everything in the list will be unchecked, then click 'Next' and select the option to always ignore the remaining items and they will be added to your exclusions.

16 hours ago, exile360 said:

I'm not sure what Windows behavior you are referring to, but I just tested both in Chrome and Windows Explorer (in Windows 7; it may differ in 10) and the scroll bar goes to where the mouse pointer is.

That is exactly what I was referring to.  The scroll bar should not go to where the mouse pointer is, it should go up or down a page.  That is standard Windows behaviour.

As for detections, while it is true that there is no way to select all detections related to a specific application/infection, you can use the empty checkbox at the very top of the list to select all/clear all checkboxes so if you have a PUP detection you wish to exclude, just click that checkbox and everything in the list will be unchecked, then click 'Next' and select the option to always ignore the remaining items and they will be added to your exclusions.

That doesn't help if there are multiple PUP detections and you want to exclude just some of them.

Interesting.  I am on Windows 10.  I just tested in Chrome and Windows Explorer and in both it doesn't go where the mouse pointer is, it goes one page at a time.

Bill

• Staff
1 hour ago, roger_m said:

That doesn't help if there are multiple PUP detections and you want to exclude just some of them.

True, it's only really useful if you wish to remove or exclude all or most of the detections listed.  If the ratio is about half and half then it's still quite tedious.  Another issue is that, even if Malwarebytes did include this functionality, it is often the case that different components of the same program/PUP may be classified differently under different detection/vendor names due to the signatures used to detect them, as some are specific signatures for that particular PUP/program, while others may be more generic for multiple PUPs or across families of PUPs using similar components that can be targeted more generically.  Unfortunately for such cases even the functionality you describe would not eliminate the issue, though it would still at least help with much of it I'm sure.

I believe the MB UI is QT based - and in (most flavors that I have installed and used of) Linux, the behavior is as Roger describes - if you have a scrollbar, and you click in the empty space, the bar moves to that space.  In Windows, it moves the content one 'screen' at a time until the bar gets to the location that the mouse is at (caveat: unless you hold the Shift key down - then it mimics the behavior in Linux - moving directly to cursor position)..  This has been a very big distinguishing difference in the UI actions between Windows and Linux for a long time (and it's been a while since I used any type of MacOS, so I don't remember, but I suspect the behavior there is more akin to the Linux method).

A good way to see it, though, is to open Windows Explorer to your Windows directory, which should have more than enough files in it so that the scroll bar is not large, at bare minimum less than half the size of the window - then click in the open space near the bottom right above the "down nav button" - you'll see the window scroll only one screen of info off at a time until the bar reaches where your mouse is.

As I am constantly switching from Linux to Windows and back, sometimes on a daily basis, I often get caught in one OS attempting to use the methodology of another (and usually, it's in Linux and I click anywhere and the bar moves to where I am at, when I am expecting a single screen of data to shift).  That usually lasts no more than about 5 minutes, as I acclimatize to using the Linux UI again.

But for a user who is only using Windows or hasn't used Linux in a long time (if ever), this can be a disturbing behavior, to be sure.  After decades of on and off Linux use, it still gets *me*.

And, while personally it's not a big deal for me, I do agree with Roger that, as this is a product developed for Windows-based machines, the behavior should be the same as the stock, basic Windows UI.

Edited by John L. Galt
Added caveat, spellchecked

Cool, I thought it was QT, but wasn't 100% sure. 

I've almost never had to use a scrollbar in MB since back in the MBAM 2.x days, and before that around ver 0.7.  But the private ßeta testing had a lot thrown at my systems, and conversely, I threw a lot of my system storage at MB 4 - and I had 98 (FP) reports on my desktop.  No avoiding the scroll bars there!  lol.

But, on behalf of all the regular Windows users out there, I thank you for submitting this to the team to evaluate for the UI.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, throkr said:

One question: where / how can I see if the update package component is up to date (the main UI of previous versions had a line in the bottom right corner showing this information) ?...

+1 to throkr's comment.  When I open the main GUI of a real-time security product the first thing I want to confirm is that my background updates are working and keeping my definitions up-to-date.  Seeing the actual time of the last update and scan (e.g., "Last Database Update: 4 hours ago"; Last Threat Scan: 2 days ago) rather than the generic "Updates: Current" that now appears on the v3.x interface would also be nice.

20 hours ago, lmacri said:

+1 to throkr's comment.  When I open the main GUI of a real-time security product the first thing I want to confirm is that my background updates are working and keeping my definitions up-to-date.  Seeing the actual time of the last update and scan (e.g., "Last Database Update: 4 hours ago"; Last Threat Scan: 2 days ago) rather than the generic "Updates: Current" that now appears on the v3.x interface would also be nice.

Agree completely.