Raedor

Mac App Remover - Quarantined immediately

Hi All,

Is there any reason why this "Mac App Removal" app is immediately quarantined upon installation. I know there are a huge number of these app removers and I could easily try others, but I have used other apps from their sister companies without any undue problems.

( https://www.uninstallmacapp.com/  )

This is the URL if you want to browse over  and have a look yourself.

Many thanks for any help you provide .

I see it contains an embedded.provisionprofile, which is often a sign of nefarious intent.

15 of 59 scanners detect it as at least PUA/PUP on VirusTotal.

It is signed with a valid Apple DeveloperID: Developer ID Application: AngularTech Inc. (K84RXEDN48)

Software made by that developer has been known to show some undesirable behavior, and has been promoted through scammy methods (such as fake user reviews and false claims of 5-star ratings by Mac tech magazines). Sounds like we're blocking that app's execution, but not actually removing the app. We'll get that fixed.

As for these kinds of generic "app uninstallers," the use of such programs is discouraged. Many of them are scammy, and even the legit ones will usually either not remove everything they should or will remove too much. Apps from the App Store can be removed by simply dragging them to the trash. For third-party software not from the App Store, you need to consult with the developer and use the uninstall method they recommend... this may be an integrated uninstaller (either part of the app or installed on the system as part of the software), an uninstaller available for download, or in some cases, manual removal instructions.

Hello Thomas,

Many thanks for your clear & concise response. I suppose plain laziness combined with a very old Windows hangover from left over files got me to use these so called uninstallers in the first place. And I must agree with you that the traditional Mac App drag to trash removal method has to be the safest and no doubt efficient as anything else offered.

So thanks for your help.

13 minutes ago, Raedor said:

I must agree with you that the traditional Mac App drag to trash removal method has to be the safest and no doubt efficient as anything else offered.

Note that @treed only recommended drag to trash for apps from the Mac App Store. For all others (including Malwarebytes) you will need to seek developer recommendations to prevent active processes from being left behind.