Snootch

Malwarebytes alerted for ransomware

The other day I was interrupted by a full screen alert from Malwarebytes saying it had detected ransomware. It had a small spinning indicator that it was analyzing files. It took did this for about a minute then it just went away. Nothing said it was finished or cleaned it, nothing. It still had the analyzing files up when it vanished and it said it would take a while. I found this odd that it would take over my screen with this full screen alert then tell me nothing when it was finished. I went it into Malwarebytes right after it was like it never happened. Nothing on the notification bar either. 

The alert reminded me of those full screen obnoxious ads that you can't back out of that say your infected and was wondering if this was one of those or was actually an alert from Malwarebytes.

So what happenened? Subsequent scans showed I'm clean. 

Hi @Snootch

This warning is from our advanced ransomware scanner.  Apps that have elevated privileges and that have been installed using side loading (anything installed outside of Google Play) are flagged as potential ransomware.

Installation from outside the Play Store plus elevated privileges are big red flags. Therefore, we warn our customers that a suspicious app was installed that displays ransomware like properties. It’s up to the user to ignore our warnings or not.

Ransomware is particularity dangerous, and this warning gives users the ability to cut it off before it’s too late.

Thanks for reaching out,

Nathan

Yikes well now I'm worried. So some clarifications. I did not sideload any apps. The only app I've sideloaded on this tablet was the XDA forum app which has zero perms other than contacts. Like I said, I did let it do it's thing, I didn't ignore anything at all. It told me it was analyzing files and then nothing. The screen went away and there was nothing else anywhere that gave any info regarding this alert. 

If that file is cleaned or removed or even ignored will there be anything anywhere (logs) that says what occurred?

Hi @Snootch,

Do you recall what it said it was blocking?  If you like, I can check your mobile device.  All you need to do is send me an Apps Report.

To send an Apps Report with Malwarebytes for Android use the following instructions.

1.Open the Malwarebytes for Android app.

2.Tap the Menu icon.

3. Tap Your apps.

4. Tap three lines icon in upper right corner.

5. Tap Send to support

Choose an email app to send Apps Report.

Your email app will open with the Apps Report included. Send the Apps Report to create a ticket.

Private Message (PM) me the email used and/or the ticket number assigned.

Nathan

I don't recall it saying what specifically it was blocking. I'll get that report out tonight. Thanks!