asianmusicguy

Software Suggestions for blog post?

Which cd authoring  program does the MBAM community use thats free I ask here because I do not trust the current internet landscape 

Edited by asianmusicguy

I guess it depends on what kinds of CDs you're making and what features you need.  I used to use Nero for years but haven't in a very long time (basically not since MS implemented much more powerful CD authoring capabilities in Windows and Windows Media Player natively).  That said, if you're talking about something else like creating/writing bootable media and the like then I'd probably suggest tools like Rufus and UltraISO (the latter is very handy for editing and modifying existing disc images).  I also used to use Alcohol 120% years back, but again I haven't used that in years either (I don't write CDs these days really as I have no need for it since I have my MP3 player for my car and I have no TV so I don't burn any DVDs/CDs for viewing/listening etc. as I just play everything on my computer now).

Well in the past ive used imagburn and cdburnerxp but those have all been infected in the mist recent years so dont trust using them now 

Yep, I've used ImgBurn as well, but as with the others I mentioned, I haven't used it in a really long time.  I'm guessing what you are referring to as 'infected' is actually some kind of PUP(s)/bundleware unless they had some kind of hijacking/infection incident like CCleaner had a while back.

3 minutes ago, asianmusicguy said:

Well in the past ive used imagburn and cdburnerxp but those have all been infected in the mist recent years so dont trust using them now 

I still use those 2. Using Ninite you can still get non-infected versions without having to dig for them.

Well to be fair ninite is great but only downloads from official sources which is great unless you dont trust the official source ?    

@Porthos can you verify your copies for me also which one do you prefer 

Edited by asianmusicguy

2 minutes ago, asianmusicguy said:

Well to be fair ninite is great but only downloads from official sources which is great unless you dont trust the official source ?    

I use Ninite to download those 2 all the time. Ninite is famous for stripping out or using the non infected (more hidden) links from official sources.

Everyone for the most part monetizes the free software one way or another. Donations to software devs are not paying the bills. 

8 minutes ago, asianmusicguy said:

The reason why is actually because I wanted to updte my recommended software blog post here

https://itstotallylife.com/totally-life-recommended-computer-software-setup/

I would change Acronis suggestion to Macrium Reflect. (free for personal and business).

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, asianmusicguy said:

thats a interesting one  I have always used true image any reason you perfer Macrium ?

Free, Never let me down, Plenty of features in free.

It is installed on every computer I work on. Many of my clients use it(those with external drives at least).

Edited by Porthos

5 minutes ago, asianmusicguy said:

any thoughts on the others i have listed or maybe something I am missing ?

I personally do not believe in software like Open Shell. Too much of a chance of a Windows update to break it.

Also do not endorse(personally or professionally) apps that neuter Windows 10 for (privacy) reasons. I will only turn off the settings that are native in the OS itself. (Settings app> privacy settings) MS just like Malwarebytes needs basic telemetry to keep it working properly. I set Windows to Basic.

As for AV, Defender in the current build of 10 is very capable (for those who like "tests") . It will not get in the way (screw up) cumulative and feature updates. Malwarebytes Premium is the only program I supplement Defender with. 

I have only encountered 5 infected computers since Win 10 was introduced. None of those were Win 10 and none had the paid version of MB  on them.

Just my experience as a repair tech.

I'm not onboard with Macrium Reflect myself , but if you can't afford Acronis I suppose it's better than nothing. Having used both (as well as many others) I find Acronis faster and less restrictive myself. I use File and Folder backups and Macrium free does not support it. I also use RoboCopy for file, folder syncing for some specific cases.

Chart of Macrium Reflect versions. If you were going to pay for Macrium I would suggest getting the Workstation version which has a couple other features and better support than the Home version. Home: $69.95 Workstation: $75.00 so for $5.05 you get better support if needed.

image.png

Here is a list of backup/imaging software that we have listed on the site

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

Since the topic starts to get into recommendations I'll go ahead and also post my generic advice for helping to protect the computer as well as your privacy and data.

Let's get real. If you're not backing up your data and you're still using Google Chrome then you're just not serious about Privacy, Safety, and protecting your data. Malwarebytes is a fantastic program but you still need to back up your data and you still need to block scripts and Ads in your browser. 
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. For more advanced users you might consider installing NoScript as well (it does have a higher learning curve though)

Help Secure your browsers

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock for Internet Explorer
How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018

This video tutorial above explains how to use uBlock Origin in advanced user mode and all the advanced settings to protect your online privacy and help prevent unwanted sites from changing your browser settings

Delete Cookies Automatically

Cookie AutoDelete plugin
Chrome  | Firefox 

Browser push notifications: a feature asking to be abused
HTTPS Everywhere
NOTHING TO HIDE documentary

Review your email and Office choices

Quit Gmail for free encrypted email - Tutanota
Why ProtonMail Is More Secure Than Gmail
LibreOffice - Free and open source office suite

Use Password Management software

Bitwarden
KeePass Password Safe

Encrypted Instant Messenger and Voice Calls

Riot
Signal
Wickr Me

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes  as your preferred security protection software and tell your friends and family too. We're here to help.

Stay tuned for a new free product we'll be releasing soon that really shows promise I think.

Ron