I have a scan that has been running 404:58:26 and the number of items scanned is stuck at 343,632 (see screen shot).  I cannot cancel the scan as it reappears after confirming I want to cancel it.  Any ideas?

2019-08-14_7-04-33.jpg

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello and Welcome @hhh703

I have seen this happen from time to time, a simple reboot usually corrects the issue.  In your logs I can see you have quite a bit of files that are pending to be renamed, so a reboot is required for those to happen. 

I would reboot the computer and run another scan to see if it completes.

Thanks, but a reboot does not seem to help.  I have cancelled the scan and killed the malwarebytes process and it always starts up at the same point in the scan.

Greetings,

Please restart the system and then try the following to see if it corrects the issue:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

If the issue still persists then please try disabling AVG temporarily to see if that makes any difference.

You might also try disabling Fast Startup if it is enabled.  You will find instructions on how to do so here as well as here.

I would also strongly recommend against terminating Malwarebytes' processes via Task Manager and the like as this can actually cause the software and system to become unstable due to its drivers and services not shutting down from memory properly.  Instead, either try exiting Malwarebytes by right-clicking the Malwarebytes tray icon and selecting Quit Malwarebytes and clicking Yes to the User Account Control prompt, and if it still remains running, try restarting the computer.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

@hhh703

There are only just 3 logs of completed scans, dated from July 16 to July 19.   Odd, in that we would expect one scheduled scan daily.

The last triggered auto-scan was on the 28th.

There appears to be some kind of hiccup trying to access a file on the D drive.  What types of files are on the D drive ?

If the D drive is a removable device, please disconnect it for now.

My view is that you should do a clean new install of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Start by first, doing a Windows Restart so that there is a new session.   It can help a lot.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using our Support tool. Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Disconnected external hard drive (not D which was DVD drive) and rebooted.  Scan was gone.  New scan completed successfully.  Thanks for the help.

I am very happy to know the scan completed without a glitch.   You are very welcome.

One other thing, I suggest you check up on the Scheduled Scan task's   Time to start.

You should have it set to some time in the day other than 2 AM  & much preferably a time that is like 30 minutes past your normal time to start work on pc.

Here is what I typically advise.
As far as when the scheduled automatic scan is scheduled for, you can review it and adjust as needed.
Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings button.
Click on Scan Schedule tab. Click the line *normal* ( column type) and click Edit button ( as needed) to view and make adjustment as needed.

Be sure you select a good time of the day when the computer and Windows will be on. Either your lunch hour perhaps, or after the end of your work-day or else, at the start of the work-day.

( For example on time, I have mine set to 9 PM when I know it is the normal end of my need for the day)

What I would do ( when the Scheduled Task is on-screen), click the Advanced button.
Then look to the right, under Recovery Options.
Put a check mark on the box for "Recover missed tasks"
On the list selection, choose 23 hours.

Click the OK button when done.

See our Help article online How-To: Set up a scheduled scan in Malwarebytes for Windows Premium

Let me know if there is something else that you need.

Sincerely,

Maurice