CathyScheibner

Help for removing outbound trojan

Hi,  Cathy      :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Thanks for the reports.  I see that Firefox browser is involved.   Did you write down the address of the website  ( in the address bar of Firefox) ?

Were you viewing some specific site ?   Were you reading online Email ?

Did you delete all browser Cache for Firefox ?

For Your Information:

The website  Block message indicates that a potential risk was blocked by the malicious website protection. 

The Malwarebytes web protection, by default, will always show each IP block occurrence.

The Malwarebytes Webs protection feature will advise customers when a known or suspected malicious IP is attempted to be reached (outgoing) or is trying access your PC.

See our info page https://www.malwarebytes.com/lp/ip-blocking/?ipblock=true

Incoming block notice can be ignored, our software is blocking the threat and there is nothing more that can be done.

On Outbound blocks, any attempted connection was stopped.

No action is required unless you’re also experiencing malware symptoms or there are multiple (different) IPs (ex;123.23.34 and 4.44.56).

A browser is not required to be running, just an active Internet connection with processes running,

such as Instant messenger clients, SKYPE or Peer-to-peer software, to trigger these alerts.

These are also triggered by banner ads running on websites which is the most common form of alert.

[ 2 ]

Delete the Cache & history for each web browser, Firefox and any other you use.

while  in the web browser, press and hold SHIFT + CTRL + DELete keys to start the process to delete all browser cache & history

[ 3 ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

also, if you use Chrome or Firefox browser, install the Malwarebytes beta browser extension.  There is one for Chrome & another for Firefox.

To get & install the Malwarebytes beta Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

[ 4 ]

Windows 10 has the Microsoft Windows Defender which can run the Windows Defender Offline scan.
Windows Defender Offline in Windows 10 can be run directly from within Windows, without having to create bootable media.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Click Virus and threat protection   & next click on the blue Scan options

Look down the options list.  Tick on Windows Defender Offline scan.   Then click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Thank you, Maurice.
As you instructed, I have deleted the cache and history for each web browser on this computer: Firefox, Chrome and Edge and disabled push notifications on each of them.  I use Firefox 99% of the time and always have Firefox open when I am using this computer at work. 

I ran Windows Defender offline scan and nothing popped up.  It ran the scan and my system rebooted.  I then downloaded the Malwarebytes beta Firefox extension.

So far today I have not seen the blocked outbound connection notification pop up.  Fingers crossed?

I will have gone to the www.unud.ac.id website years ago when we had a student attending that college, but since then I cannot recall ever since going to that site.  I did have a Firefox bookmark for that site, but I deleted it yesterday.

The notifications of the blocked outbound connection started months ago - Malwarebytes scan and protection logs prior to February 2019 were deleted, but since then the blocked notifications for website came as noted below - fairly infrequently but then they increased in number as I have been spending all day on 8/12 & 8/13 going to various American college websites to search for any updates to addresses for my work's mailing list to professors.  All blocked notifications of blocked outgoing connection are for the domain www.unud.ac.id and the same IP address except as noted below. 

2/25/19
3/5/19
5/9/19
5/15/19
5/22/19
5/23/19  1:34 pm
5/23/19  1:46 pm
5/23/19  2:49 pm (Malvertising)
5/23/19  2:49 (Fraud)
6/6/19
6/10/19  1:02 p.m.
6/10/19  1:02 p.m.
6/11/19  1:07 pm
6/25/19  9:33 a.m.
7/9/19
7/10/19  1:26 p.m. (PUP)
7/10/19  3:50 p.m. (PUP)
7/12/19  8:52 a.m. (PUP Optional Solvusoft - quarantined)
7/25/19
8/12/19  1:47 pm
8/12/19  1:55 p.m.
8/12/19  1:59 p.m.
8/12/19  2:13 p.m.
8/12/19  2:17 p.m.
8/12/19  2:19 p.m.
8/12/19  2:31 p.m.
8/12/19  3:25 p.m.
8/13/19  8:17 a.m.
8/13/19  8:46 a.m.
8/13/19  8:58 a.m.
8/13/19  9 a.m.
8/13/19  9:05 a.m.
8/13/19 9:34 a.m.
8/13/19  9:34 a.m.
8/13/19 9:53 a.m.
8/13/19  10:01 a.m.
8/13/19  10:09 a.m.

Cathy

Hi.  I am glad to read

So far today I have not seen the blocked outbound connection notification pop up. 

Today is the 14th.  You report that Windows Defender did not show new information.

You may do a run to check for adwares.    

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Version 7.4 of Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

I  encourage you to take a look at the announcement blogpost to learn more this new detection category: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2019/07/your-device,-your-choice:-adwcleaner-now-detects-preinstalled-software/.

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Hi Cathy.

Thanks for those reports.   I think this pc is good to go.  I will keep this case open.  Make a note to let me know by Friday afternoon about this pc.

Sincerely,

Maurice - my apologies for not replying yesterday. I got caught up at work. 

I have not had any further occurrences of the blocked Trojan since installing the beta web browser extension. 

I think we’ve succeeded. 

Many many thanks for your help. 

Cathy 

Cathy,

You are very welcome.   I am happy to have helped.

Some best practices tips, going forward:

Safer practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Sincerely,

Maurice

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks