C0nrad

Trojan site blocked/font file

I had removed some malware from a machine a few weeks ago as noted in this thread 

Malware from dl.okblcm.co on computer

I have noticed that Malwarebytes has been blocking a trojan site several times a day and this is the report

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 8/13/19
Protection Event Time: 7:41 AM
Log File: 4764e77c-bdbf-11e9-8a91-fcaa1421364a.json

-Software Information-
Version: 3.8.3.2965
Components Version: 1.0.613
Update Package Version: 1.0.11983
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, , Blocked, [-1], [-1],0.0.0

-Website Data-
Category: Trojan
Domain: 
IP Address: 121.156.134.3
Port: [51131]
Type: Outbound
File: C:\ProgramData\DataFiles\Microsoft\Fonts\up.exe

(end)

In the previous thread I noticed that this file was picked up by MSRT but is still present on my machine. How do I go about removing the file to prevent further trojan site attempts.

Hi,  @C0nrad

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.623.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Hi.  Thanks for the support tool.  The block notice from Malwarebytes is helping to protect this PC.   The file Up.exe cited in the block message is a trojan.

For more information please see the following:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml&threatid=2147735505&enterprise=0

I have  procedures below to help out.  The first custom procedure will upload a copy of that Up.exe to Virustotal for analysis  & then remove it.

There is a lot listed below in 5 parts.  Take your time.  Do all of them.  Just go down the list as time permits.

First, set Windows to show all folders, all hidden folders

see   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

[ 1 ]

This Thread/topic is for member C0nrad only. who is the topic starter.

This fix is for C0nrad only.

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It will involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) to the Downloads folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe  is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your reply.    Also advise on the situation after this run.

[ 2 ]

Make an adjustment in Malwarebytes for Windows.   Start Malwarebytes for Windows.

Click Settings. Click Application tab.
Scroll down to Windows Action Center.

click on the line "Let Malwarebytes apply the best"

[ 3 ]

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Start Malwarebytes from the Start menu.

Click Settings. Then click the Protection tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).

When the scan phase is done, { if anything detected}   be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

Be sure all items were removed. Let it remove what it has detected.

When that is completed, kindly send the report.
In Malwarebytes.
Click the Reports button ( on the left )
Look for the "Scan Report" that has the most recent Date and time.

When located, click the check box for it and click on View Report.
Then click the Export button at the bottom left.
Then select Text File (*.txt)

Put in a name for that file and remember where the file is created.

Then attach that file with your reply. Thank you.

[ 4 ]

Run a scan with the Windows' Windows Defender antivirus.   I would recommend a FULL scan with Windows Defender.

Type “Windows Defender” in the  Windows  search box and then press Enter. Click Settings and make sure there is a checkmark on Turn on real-time protection recommend.

[ 5 ]

A further scan that I suggest.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Let me know the result of this.

Fixlist.txt

Hello thanks for your help thus far

Below is the fixlog, along with the scan report from step 3.

However, I can not complete step 4. Upon opening windows defender there is a pop up that states "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." 

After going into the action center of control panel and under the security tab, "Malwarebytes is turned on" is listed under the virus protection where I would normally find Windows Defender. Is this correct? I have the end point protection from Malwarebytes

Thanks

Fixlog.txt scan report.txt

Thank you for the reports.  This pc has the consumer Malwarebytes for Windows, version 3.8.3.2965

The last scan run found no malware;  no P U P

The Fixlist run indicates that the "up.exe" in the Fonts sub-folder is no longer present.   That would tend to mean that the original block notice should be no more.

As to the display in Windows Security Center / Action Center, make this adjustment here.

go into Malwarebytes.
Click Settings. Click Application tab.
Scroll down to Windows Action Center. .

IF it is now on "Let Malwarebytes apply the best" then in that case, click on the line "NEVER register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".

Close the window when this is done.

Let me know if you need other help.

Sincerely.