Internet abnormally slow

Hi,  @lprkn

:welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Thanks for the reports. I would like you to run a special Malwarebytes standalone tool.  The anti-rootkit tool.

Please read all of these lines first so that it is all clear to you about our plan. I need a one time run of MBAR like listed here, please.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from this link here

and save it to your desktop.

Doubleclick on the MBAR file and allow it to run.

•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.

•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.

•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.

•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next', then click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes:

1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. .

Please attach the log it produces, you'll find the log in that mbar folder as MBAR-log-<date and time>***.txt . Please attach that to your next reply.

Thanks for the MBAR report.   It is re-assuring to have that result reporting no malware.

[ 1 ]

Lets do a special Threat scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.   Even if I would expect that it too will not find malware.  We just need to do this, one time.

It wont take long.

Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
Start Malwarebytes from the Start menu.

Click Settings. Then click the Protection tab.
Scroll down and lets be sure the line in SCAN OPTIONs for "Scan for rootkits" is ON
Click it to get it ON

Click the SCAN button.
Select a Threat Scan ( which should be the default).

When the scan phase is done, if it tags some item (s) , be real sure you Review and have all detected lines items check-marked on each line on the left. That too is very critical.

Then click on Quarantine selected.

When you next reply, be sure to tell me the result of that scan.

[ 2 ]

Windows 10 has the Microsoft Windows Defender which can run the Windows Defender Offline scan.
Windows Defender Offline in Windows 10 can be run directly from within Windows.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Click Virus and threat protection   & next click on the blue Scan options

Look down the options list.  Tick on Windows Defender Offline scan.   Then click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

[ 3 ]

Special NOTE:

this machine needs  to upgrade to the Windows 10 build 1903.  You should be able to manually get it thru Windows Update.

It may take repeated tries with Windows Update till your pc is able to see that Update.  You should make a try each day, from here on out, till you see it offered.

The suggestion I have is to go to the Start menu, click the Windows Settings icon. Select Update & Security.  Click on Windows Update.

The Windows Update ( eventually) will have a display like this when it shows up.

Note that the display will show the new build in a new way, in the middle of the display.  You will need to click on the blue line marked "Download and install now"  when ready.

image.png.dd41586213f8c112be62cd90b7da27fa.png

Getting that Windows build update will put this pc in a better position for a more secure operating system.

This build is metered and controlled by Microsoft.  If you do not get offered 1903, do keep trying.   I'd suggest trying every day or every other day, at the top of the hour.

Hi,    I have had you run 3 different scans of the system.  And we have not had indicators of a actual infection.

Lets have you run the Windows 10 Network troubleshooter.

if the pc is only using a connection thru WIFI, then lets have you get a cable to directly connect it to the internet-router box.

Then, press the Windows-key on keyboard to get Start options, then click the Settings icon.

Then click Network and Internet off the list.

Then click Show available networks.    Do you see your network listed there. 

Note there should also be a Network Troubleshooter listed.  You can click that to let it do a diagnosis.  Pick the Network troubleshooter.

In the following image of the Network section, I have highlighted a few areas you can use to diagnose the Network connection.

image.thumb.png.ab252c13b8d0d6a37877616ccc95f6a8.png

I do not know your internet service provider.   BUT you can use this page to test the speed of the internet connection

http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

Also see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75371-see-network-adapter-speed-windows-10-a.html

Also see  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94754-view-troubleshooting-history-details-windows-10-a.html

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks