SteveRC

Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23 dramatically slows down Mac startup

Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23 dramatically slows down the startup process on my Mac (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6) unless both "Real-Time Protection" features "Ad Block" and "Malware Protection" are unchecked prior to startup. This issue only started with version 3.9.23. With the features unchecked, startup on the Mac is quick -- under 20 seconds from turning my machine on until reaching the Login screen. With Real Time Protection engaged prior to startup (both Ad Block and Malware Protection checked), it takes 3-4 minutes to reach the Login screen.

However, on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6), startup runs quickly and is not slowed down by Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23.

Any clues? I troubleshooted the issue for over an hour with a senior level Apple tech before discovering that Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23 with both Real Time Protection features engaged dramatically slows start up on my Mac running Mojave but not my MacBook Pro running High Sierra.

Malwarebytes is having problems with V3.9. Go back to the working version 3.8 until a fix is released.

Thank you. It must be only issues with Mojave as the slowdown doesn't occur on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Until the fix, I will just disengage the real time protection features before shutting down so they are off when I start up the machine.

Posted (edited)

Hello @SteveRC and :welcome:

Similarly to @Popeye's attribution above, @treed has advised the forum that in-house resources have been identified that may provide useful data regarding the v3.9.23 difficulties:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/250138-just-updated-to-3923-and-have-issues/?do=findComment&comment=1327966

On the Mac in question, it may be quite helpful for devs/staffers to select the Apple Menu Icon  -> About This Mac -> System Report... and in a reply to this topic, site the entry under: Hardware Overview: Model Identifier e.g. MacBookPro11,3 etc.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hello @SteveRC:

51 minutes ago, SteveRC said:

iMac17,1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Perfect.  Thank you.

23 hours ago, SteveRC said:

Thank you. It must be only issues with Mojave as the slowdown doesn't occur on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Until the fix, I will just disengage the real time protection features before shutting down so they are off when I start up the machine.

We're still not sure what the cause is... it seems to be affecting machines of all ages, and with systems from Sierra (10.12) through Mojave (10.14). It's affecting a small enough number of machines that it has been difficult to guess what they might all have in common, and we haven't actually been able to reproduce it here. But I think we're getting close to finding a solution, thanks to an individual with an affected Mac who has generously volunteered his time to work closely with our developers. :) 

I had the same problem, or one very much similar, running the trial Premium on my Mac, El Capitan, 10.11.6.   Even after I logged in, web pages loaded very slowly.  Bottom line was my Mac is old and so is the operating system.  I had an even worse problem with a competitors product, Avast which drove me to stay with MB. I really wanted the upgrade but until I get a new Mac, I am limited to the free version.  

Hello @brcd:

Would that make your Mac's identifier an iMac9.1  Please feel free to correct me in a reply to this topic.

Thank you kindly.

You are correct. iMac 9.1 configured as follows:

iMac (24-inch, Early 2009); 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Still runs good.  I can read news from around the world, store photos, visit BBQ forums, and FaceTime with my family. Some day it will crash, and I will upgrade to a new iMac.  Till then, all is well.

Hello @brcd:

Thank you very much as your Mac's Identifier confirmation as it could be valuable to the devs/staffers.

Cheers!

I can appreciate MB updating their product on a constant basis.  I can also see where there would be some diminishing returns on keeping it fully backward compatible.  Even Apple has stopped sending updates. 

Hello @brcd:

My MacBookPro11,3 is no spring chicken either.  Apple's Catalina 10.15 may be my Mac's last OS update.  All good things...

Hi there,

We've seen it on pretty much every Macbook Pro Non-Touchbar 2017 model since the recent MWB update. Not seen it on any other MAC. Exclusively 10.14.5 and later, no earlier OS. No other MACs to date. Removing MWB resolves the issue.

Thankings you!

Barney Buoy®

Posted (edited)

Again, we need to know what version of MWB. There was an issue with the first build or two of the latest on selected Macs, but that has reportedly been solved with the most current.

Edited by alvarnell