thelordpuffer

Just updated to 3.9.23 and have issues

Since my question wasn't answered Post #40 Maybe next update like this should be put in beta to knock out the bugs before release, just a thought.

Seriously how hard can it be to see what changed in App Block from the last reliable & bug free version to the latest buggy version, then fix it.  This thread has gone quiet, but another thread just started with the issue and it was quickly replied too.

Posted (edited)

Hello @GuruGuy:

19 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

Seriously how hard can it be to see what changed in App Block from the last reliable & bug free version to the latest buggy version, then fix it.

The v3.9.23 responses, seen by some, do not encompass the entire spectrum of Macs.  It is quite likely this is why this was not uncovered in Alpha/Beta testing.  How many Mac models are involved?

Will the proposed fix be effective across all models and compatible with the release version of Catalina 10.15? (Which does not exist yet.)

I do not envy the devs/QA at this point.

With great respect...

Edited by 1PW

I believe reports have come from 2011-2015 Macs of selected models.

I'll also add that @treed has been on travel this week, so he hasn't been able to follow the diagnostic progress and report back to us. 

9 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

I believe reports have come from 2011-2015 Macs of selected models.

I'll also add that @treed has been on travel this week, so he hasn't been able to follow the diagnostic progress and report back to us. 

I originally posted several days ago and specifically mentioned that all of my systems are less than one year old, so no, not just 2011-2015 are affected.

6 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

I originally posted several days ago and specifically mentioned that all of my systems are less than one year old, so no, not just 2011-2015 are affected.

It might be helpful to the development team if you would list all affected model numbers.

Also does disabling Application Block solve it for any of them?

24 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

It might be helpful to the development team if you would list all affected model numbers.

Also does disabling Application Block solve it for any of them?

Support has all the info.  Disabling the feature did resolve it.  However my trust was gone and the software was uninstalled on those four systems.  Additionally about eight others have had it removed.  I’ve been watching this thread to see how MB handles it and so far I’m not impressed.  I went through a similar issue with MB before where systems were totally hosed up.

11 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

Support has all the info.  Disabling the feature did resolve it.  However my trust was gone and the software was uninstalled on those four systems.  Additionally about eight others have had it removed.  I’ve been watching this thread to see how MB handles it and so far I’m not impressed.  I went through a similar issue with MB before where systems were totally hosed up.

Four are fairly new multi year licenses, the rest are multi year licenses nearing expiration.  Four are money lost by me.  Long term though MB is out $$ from me for 12 multi year licenses.  

5 hours ago, alvarnell said:

I didn't know that. If it was posted I've must of missed it. Thanks for the info @alvarnell :)

The reason i mentioned that older models were the ones being impacted was that those users were unable to resolve the issue by disabling App Block. You and I have newer models that can use that workaround.

In my case I would rather be able to manage Quarantine, so turning App Block off isn’t a it deal for me, but realize other feel differently.

6 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

However my trust was gone and the software was uninstalled on those four systems.  Additionally about eight others have had it removed.

Hello @GuruGuy:

Disabling the App Block feature in 3.9.23 is perfectly understandable on those computers with issues.

However, uninstalling without reinstalling 3.8.17.2526 might be more difficult for many to fathom as it is a viable alternative.

17 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @GuruGuy:

Disabling the App Block feature in 3.9.23 is perfectly understandable on those computers with issues.

However, uninstalling without reinstalling 3.8.17.2526 might be more difficult for many to fathom as it is a viable alternative.

It's not difficult at all to fathom if you've lost complete trust in the product.

On July 31 this problem was first reported to MB via this forum/topic.  Over a week ago.  Like a number of other peopler here I am far from impressed by the way it has been handled by MB. I  ditched the new version & went back to version 3.8.17. That works for me........for now.  I only have one Mac to look after & my subscription is not up till December.  Whilst I have lost some trust in MB It is not a complete loss of trust........yet.  I am going to be watching  what happens over the next days/weeks.  Lets hope that MB can get this train wreck out of the ditch & back on the rails.  I like this  program, it works well for me & I want to keep using it, but after this muck up my renewal will not be automatic.

21 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

Seriously how hard can it be to see what changed in App Block from the last reliable & bug free version to the latest buggy version, then fix it.

How hard is it to find a bug in three months worth of code changes, when we can't actually reproduce the problem on any machines here, and when the bug is actually affecting a very small number of Macs so it's hard to figure out what they all have in common? Pretty hard, actually. 😐

I didn't want to post further here - especially while traveling! - until I had more concrete information. However, at this point, it seems necessary. We don't have a fix yet, but I believe we are close, thanks to one individual who has graciously given his time by working closely with our developers - even allowing remote access to the affected Mac! (I will be personally making sure that that individual is rewarded for his assistance.)

Once I have some more concrete information, I will provide it here.

FYI, I was sent a test build from support 3.9.26 which worked fine and the issues were resolved.  Support then sent me the final release 3.9.27 which I have installed and also works fine for me.

Glad it's working for you again and hope it's stable for everyone when posted.

5 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

When will it be posted?  Website still has 3.8.17

6 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

And can we have an explanation of what the issue was and the fix?

I am certain it will be posted when ready (Malwarebytes policy is to never predict the future).

The details you requested are much more than have been released in the past. There is a need for higher degrees of confidentiality when dealing with security software, so as not to reveal vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malware to defeat it, but @treed should be able to give us some idea.

Personally, I could care less about such things as long as it works as advertised.

Edited by alvarnell

58 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

I am certain it will be posted when ready (Malwarebytes policy is to never predict the future).

The details you requested are much more than have been released in the past. There is a need for higher degrees of confidentiality when dealing with security software, so as not to reveal vulnerabilities that could be exploited by malware to defeat it, but @treed should be able to give us some idea.

Personally, I could care less about such things as long as it works as advertised.

It didn't work as advertised and caused issues for the users, both those that use it for free and those that paid.  So, I would like an explanation and assurance that it won't happen again.

I can certainly understand your frustration, but would just remind that it continues to work perfectly for me and apparently most other users. I don't know of any released software from any vendor that has never caused an issue for at least some users. That very much includes Apple.

The build is now ready to share more widely, as it seems to solve the problem for everyone affected that we have shared it with. For now, you can get it through the following Box link:

https://malwarebytes.box.com/shared/static/otu4m6ln8kbs1hfjor6zhq7qqwdzrt5x.pkg

We will be releasing this through the official channels tomorrow, so it will be available for download or via in-app updates then.

As for what happened... it turns out to have been a kind of race condition between our daemon and our kernel extension. They could end up in a situation where each was waiting for the other. This did not happen unless the machine in question had some performance issues. Normally, initialization would happen quickly enough that the problem would not occur, but on a slower machine - such as an older machine or one that is experiencing other problems causing performance issues - that initialization process could take long enough that the race condition got triggered.

This was a very tricky bug to find, and I apologize that it took so long. I'd like to thank those who were able and willing to help us find the source of the problem!

2 minutes ago, treed said:

The build is now ready to share more widely, as it seems to solve the problem for everyone affected that we have shared it with. For now, you can get it through the following Box link:

https://malwarebytes.box.com/shared/static/otu4m6ln8kbs1hfjor6zhq7qqwdzrt5x.pkg

We will be releasing this through the official channels tomorrow, so it will be available for download or via in-app updates then.

As for what happened... it turns out to have been a kind of race condition between our daemon and our kernel extension. They could end up in a situation where each was waiting for the other. This did not happen unless the machine in question had some performance issues. Normally, initialization would happen quickly enough that the problem would not occur, but on a slower machine - such as an older machine or one that is experiencing other problems causing performance issues - that initialization process could take long enough that the race condition got triggered.

This was a very tricky bug to find, and I apologize that it took so long. I'd like to thank those who were able and willing to help us find the source of the problem!

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting about what you said about machines with performance issues.  All of my machines are less than one year old and maxed out spec wise.  They are used heavily and we've never had any performance issues and they perform very well with some intensive tasks.

Thank you Malwarebytes Team and Forum Members for all the hard work put into getting this bug fixed. Kudo's. :)

Edited by Popeye