malwarebytes won't start, hijack this won't run

daryl

I am running windows xp pro, my machine has been infected for over a week. I have tried all kinds of tool that I download from cnet but nothing works. I changed mbam.exe to winlogon.exe and it will not launch. this is a new version after uninstalling an earlier one.

Problems started with a popup of "Windows Antivirus Pro" then "Windows Police". I have used "RegiGuard"," A-Squared anti-malware", "Auslogics Registry Cleaner", and more. I don't get the fake antivirus popups anymore, but my system is unstable, crashes or hangs frequently.

I am currently running in safe mode. The only way I can get on the internet is to wait for a windows error report which comes up eventually stating "internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close", then I click "send", then click "more information" link in the error report. Firefox is my default browser. It will not launch manually, neither will internet explorer. When I try to launch "HijackThis" I get an error that says" Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

Please help