memory use

There have been a few smattering reports of this recently. Malwarebytes Real-Time Protection doesn't actually scan all of the time. It keeps watch over selected areas and scans when something new or changed shows up, but it does need to keep some amount of RAM occupied to do so. My first question would have to be exactly what processes and how much RAM are they using with your setup? My RTProtectionDaemon runs from around 60 to just over 100 MB. Malwarebytes when open (there is no need to leave it open all the time) takes less than 30MB and the Agent around 13MB.

You don't indicate what you are doing in an attempt to purge, but Apple strongly recommends against purging RAM. Ever since the introduction of Mavericks, the OS has become much more efficient at memory management to save time and reduce delays due to needing to continually reload the same code from drives. To determine if it's doing it's job refer to Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor and don't routinely use any 3rd party memory management utilities.

If your setup is showing excessive RAM use that macOS is unable to properly manage you will need to Upload logs to your ticket using the Malwarebytes Support Tool for Mac, then open a ticket with Customer Support and upload the results there, as it may contain information best not publicly posted.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

Thanks for the prompt, good response.

Now I am more confused. Sorry. So, last night when I checked ActivityMonitor and saw that item with several hundred MB used for one item I quit Malwarebytes. I had seen several (6+) processes, the one with 300+ MB was named something like MWBscan, the others some variation of MWB. And now? A few hours ago I started the full app and keep checking. I intended to do and post a screenshot of those processes. ... I see nothing like what I saw last night! I see Malwarebytes itself and I see its Agent. That's it. Feel like I'm losing my mind. Sigh.

So, thanks again. If nothing else your response was not wasted as it did get me to fire it up.

As for how I purged memory? Ran purge from command line in Terminal.

If you should observe this happening again, please post a screen shot of Activity Monitor showing these processes.

Command Line RAM purging is likewise discouraged. It will only result in slowing things down and causing inefficient RAM usage for you.

• Staff

First, I'd like to caution you against trying to manage your memory in any way. Modern macOS is designed to maximize usage of RAM, since empty RAM is wasted RAM, and caches a lot of data in RAM to keep the system running at peak speed. Purging RAM or otherwise interfering with this process will only harm your system's performance.

That said, though, there are no processes associated with Malwarebytes that are named MWBscan, or anything else with a MWB prefix. Processes are named RTProtectionDaemon, SettingsDaemon, Malwarebytes Agent, and Malwarebytes. If you see something on your machine with those names again, I'd be very interested to see a screenshot!

I'm well aware of the effects of manually managing RAM - use purge maybe once a year at most., normally relying on ActivityMonitor. In this case I saw a process not responding as expected and I wanted to see if there would be an effect. I normally simply use AM or restart the app/system if I suspect something amiss.

As for those processes? I swear I wasn't hallucinating nor drunk or otherwise altering my consciousness. I am getting old but ...

At least I've gotten your confirmation of what it/they were not. I will be on the lookout.