The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving

• Root Admin

Normally I would not suggest this but for testing can you try adjusting your Swap file size and see if that has any impact on this issue.

How to increase Page File size or Virtual Memory in Windows 10/8/7
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

You can also check your physical memory and see if that is an issue or not

How to check your Windows 10 PC for memory problems
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-your-pc-memory-problems-windows-10

• Staff

Hi @boogeyman,

Do you only see the error logged when shutting down/restarting the machine? If you exit out of Malwarebytes manually by right-clicking the notification area/system tray icon and clicking Quit Malwarebytes, do you see any errors suggesting the Malwarebytes service was slow to stop/respond?

Please provide the following event logs:

uViWDv6.png Export Event Logs

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type eventvwr.msc and click OK.
  • Expand Windows Logs.
  • Right-click Application and click Save All Events As.... Name the file application and click OK.
  • Repeat for Security and System.
  • Navigate to the location of the files. Highlight the three files, right-click one and click Send to followed by Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Name the Zip file EventLogs.zip and attach the file in your next reply.
Edited by LiquidTension

38 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Do you only see the error logged when shutting down/restarting the machine?

Yes.

39 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

If you exit out of Malwarebytes manually by right-clicking the notification area/system tray icon and clicking Quit Malwarebytes, do you see any errors suggesting the Malwarebytes service was slow to stop/respond?

No

I use a bat file from time to time to clear all events. That's why you only see 4 errors regarding MB service not shutting down in the enclosed Adminstrative.txt.

EventLogs.7z attached.  Thanks for your time.

EventLogs.7z

• Staff

Thanks for the data.

Could you try the Malwarebytes version 4 beta and check if you still see the issue please:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/249586-malwarebytes-4-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1323728

If you do, we'll need to collect additional data as this issue is not reproducible for us.

Enable Enhanced Event Log Data:

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click Settings.
  • Enable the Event Log Data setting.

Afterwards, reproduce the issue. Once the machine has started back up, please carry out the technical issue instructions in the post linked below:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

Installed Beta over top version 3.8.3. The beta opened after install.

Enable Enhanced Event Log Data and rebooted.

Following error appeared after reboot.

1910454036_MBerror.jpg.5efb002011eb8fc2d904d3a5296790ac.jpg

Event viewer shows 2 errors relating to MB.

171258506_MBEV1.thumb.JPG.31f9937a1fd49740fbb43dae971b0eae.JPG

1024335270_MBEV2.thumb.JPG.f81acf1bb6276229e45e40e5c5e5fa9d.JPG

The beta 4 refuses to launch showing error "Unable to connect to service".

I will PM you the mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

Hi @boogeyman,

Thank you for your continued testing.

The issue you ran into after the reboot is a known issue that we have a defect filed for.
After you initially installed the Malwarebytes version 4 beta, did you encounter the Malwarebytes Service shut down issue when the machine was restarted?

This isn't a problem we've been able to reproduce with version 3 or version 4. It's important for us to determine if you still encounter this with version 4.

Please could you try the following:

• Uninstall Malwarebytes version 3.8.3.
  • Reboot the machine.
  • Install Malwarebytes version 4 beta.
  • Enable Enhanced Event Log Data once more in Settings -> General.
  • Reboot the machine.

Do you still see an issue with the Malwarebytes Service not shutting down correctly in the System event log after version 4 is installed?

If you do, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool once more and provide us with the generated mbst-grab-results.zip along with your System event log.

Followed your instruction. Uninstalled MB from Control Panel> Programs and features.

Rebooted.

Installed beta 4.

Enabled Event logging.

MB1.JPG.fd6edeea682ee6cdf66351faac64eb09.JPG

Rebooted and there was NO log in event viewer like before.

I shut down my PC. Did a cold boot and there was NO log in event viewer like before.

Where do we go from here? Should I keep Beta 4 and Activate it?

Thanks a lot !

Update:

I shut down my PC at 4:09 PM EST 8/28/19. Booted it up an hour later and this was in the EV.

The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.

I've cold booted or restarted 6 times since installing the Beta and this is the first time I've seen it.

I will PM you the mbst-grab-results.zip

@LiquidTension

You've posted here as recently as 10 minutes ago. Can you please take 1 minute and let me know if there is any activity on this issue?

Tell me you are either done investigating or it is being looked into. Letting a customer just hang is not good business I'm sure you would agree.

Thank you.

Can a mod poke him again?