The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving

The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control. Event ID 7403

I've seen other posts regarding this issue but suggestions did not fix it for me. I'm running version 3.8.3.

I would ignore the error in event viewer but the error causes my PC to take about 15 seconds longer to should down and log the error. I believe it all stated after Win 10 64 1903 update.

Any possible fixes.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I'm sorry that this issue occurred, but hopefully we can get the problem fixed quickly.

To start, please try disabling Fast Startup.  You'll find instructions on doing so here as well as here.

Once that is done, try rebooting your system a couple of times to test and see if the issue is resolved (it may still occur on the first system restart, but hopefully won't on the second one and going forward thereafter).

If the problem still persists then please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system configuration to try and determine what the cause of the issue might be:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes, and if necessary, provide the requested ZIP file.

Thanks

Thanks.  It looks like UAC isn't set to defaults and Malwarebytes had a problem deleting some files that it would normally remove.  Resetting UAC to its default settings might fix it.  To do so refer to the information on this page as well as here.

Next, reboot your computer and then perform a clean installation of Malwarebytes to remove those files I mentioned and start fresh to see if that resolves the issue now that UAC has been reset:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks

Thanks.  What happens if you right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon and select Quit Malwarebytes?  Does it have any problems terminating completely from memory?  You should be able to see all of its processes end on their own in Task Manager, usually only taking a matter of seconds depending on what's going on at the time.  I'd like to know if it hands up there too.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Yes, all items relating to MB terminate after a few seconds and after doing so, shutting down does not create an error in event viewer. Shut down happens faster.

I also found for what it is worth my registry does not have WaitToKillAppTimeout or HungAppTimeout.

OK, thanks.  I have noticed on my own system that Malwarebytes definitely holds up shutdown a bit, but it's only a few seconds and I have no errors in Event Viewer; of course I'm running Windows 7 so that is likely why.  I'm really not certain what else we might try short of simply exiting Malwarebytes each time you're going to shut down, though that obviously isn't ideal.  You could try disabling each component of protection individually and try restarting your system each time to test and determine which precise component it is that may be causing it (assuming it's one of the drivers for protection loaded under MBAMService.exe and not MBAMService.exe itself).  I would suggest starting with Web Protection.  To disable it, right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon and click on Web Protection: Enabled and click Yes when prompted by UAC, then wait a bit for things to settle down as it unloads its driver and web block databases from memory, then try restarting the system.  If the error still occurs, re-enable Web Protection and move on to Exploit Protection and repeat the process.  Do the same for Malware Protection and Ransomware Protection (this one is also a likely candidate) and let us know what you find out.  If we can isolate the individual component causing it, that info could be very helpful for the Developers to try and fix it.  You can also see if disabling self-protection helps.  The setting for that is found under Settings>Protection near the bottom.  Click on the switch to toggle it off and confirm when prompted by UAC, again wait a bit for it to settle down and fully unload, then try rebooting the system once more.

If you decide to do this testing please let us know how it goes and which component of protection seems to be at fault, assuming disabling any of them works to resolve it.

Thanks

The other thread was me with the problem. Turning off Ransomeware and or others did not resolve my issue. Still exists. I could resolve it but MB does not allow its service to be stopped with "net stop mbamservice". Just wanted to chime in sorry if inappropriate.

3 minutes ago, boogeyman said:

I could resolve it but MB does not allow its service to be stopped with "net stop mbamservice".

Yes, that is because if it were allowed then it would be too easy for malware or a malicious hacker to do the same via a script or remotely executed command or batch file.  That said, if you simply right-click the tray icon and select Quit Malwarebytes it will terminate from memory completely, including the service and all loaded processes and drivers (which is also much safer and more stable, as the service is what loads/controls the drivers, so unloading the service without the drivers could lead to major stability issues; something I've seen in the past through testing by terminating the service via Task Manager and other similar tools without shutting it down properly).

Lucky that this command not worked... A lot of ransomware use this command's in a batch file or with Power-shell, to shut down services so it can do it's job!

If it was so easy like that, then we would not need to use an anti-malware program, because you can shut it down simply.

That was short lived. I shut down at 11:54 AM EST and restarted at 1:14 PM. Two errors show upon getting to desktop in event viewer.

Listener Adapter protocol 'msmq.formatname' attempted to communicate to Windows Process Activation Service and failed. The Listener Adapter is now in a bad state.  Cause: This is caused by Out of Memory issues or failures between Windows Process Activation Service and Listener Adapter.  Fix: To fix this condition, stop Listener Adapter then Windows Process Activation Service, restart Windows Process Activation Service, and finally restart Listener Adapter.

and

The Malwarebytes Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.

Crap.