Periodic Freezing Due to Randsomware Protection

For the past few months I've noticed periodic freezes with my computer while online. The most noticeable were using Chrome and Twitch as the stream would lock up. This extended to all uses of the internet and even some of my games, though only online ones. These freezes wouldn't fully freeze my computer as things were still happening like my mouse moving and Windows itself still reacting to me. It seemed to be the programs themselves. During the last few ones I noticed Malwarebytes spiking in CPU usage on my Task Manager. I decided to do some testing by turning off the protections and turning them back on one at at time and noticed that the randsomeware protection seems to be causing these issues. I've run the Support Tool and have done multiple fresh installs without any changes. I also know my computer and all of it's drivers and components are up to date and there are no viruses or such effecting my computer. I also was doing some digging in the forums and noticed randomsware protection has caused some problems in the past and that they have updated versions to try and fix these issues. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try and fix this issue but keep the full protection of Malwarebytes active as I don't really want to keep randsomeware protection off.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this performance issue, but hopefully we can assist you in getting the issue resolved.

Please begin by opening Malwarebytes and navigating to Settings>Application and enable the option for event log data; this will cause Malwarebytes to create more detailed logs about what it is doing which will hopefully provide insight for the Malwarebytes staff as to why this is happening and hopefully lead to a solution.  Once that option is enabled, replicate the issue a couple of times, or if you can't reliably replicate it deliberately, then simply wait for it to happen again and make a note of the approximate time that it happens.  Once it has happened again, respond to this thread with a fresh set of logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool along with info on when you saw the issue return so that we may correlate the data in your logs with the approximate timing of the events to determine what was going on with Malwarebytes at the time.

I would also suggest, if you are able to do so, creating a memory dump of the MBAMService.exe process using Task Manager while the issue is occurring; it might be tricky to do so, but could prove most valuable if you are successful.  To do so, follow the following instructions (I recommend keeping Task Manager open/active and proceeding with steps 1-4 while trying/waiting for it to happen in order to save time and increase your chances of catching it in the act):

Create Memory Dump using Task Manager in Windows:

1. Open Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc on your keyboard or by right-clicking on your taskbar and selecting Start Task Manager
  2. Select the Details tab (click More details at the bottom if you don't see the tabs) and click the Name column header to sort the processes alphabetically if they aren't already
  3. Scroll down the list until you locate MBAMService.exe
  4. Right-click on it and select Create Dump File; Windows should proceed to process your request
  5. Once it completes it should reveal the name and location of the dump file in a small dialog
  6. Navigate to that location in Windows Explorer and copy and paste the file to your desktop or any other convenient location where you can easily find it
  7. Right-click on the copy of the file you created and hover your mouse over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) folder
  8. Zip and attach the ZIP file you just created to your next reply, or if it is too large, upload it to a file sharing service like WeTransfer.com and post the download link here

Once that's done, go ahead and disable the event log data option in Malwarebytes again (you don't want to leave this option enabled as those logs can get pretty big really fast with all those additional entries).

Edited by exile360