Alwithaprob

Windows 10 + Malwarebytes recent update

erm...

now it says 

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

access is denied. i have just tried unblocking hidden folders again  ( via the batch file in option 3 ) just in case it was a 1 time thing and it still did not fix it

I regret reading that.  Lets skip over that one thing.  Proceed with the other remaining lines.   Go forward.

Okay so I was able to download all updates possible but it didn't show build 1903 as an option. I was able to go to the catalog though and find  1903 should I download it? 

So Windows Update did not show any updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Be sure you close and save all open work files & save your work.   allow the update run exclusive use of the machine.

Yes click the Update now.   My suggestion is to use the EDGE browser to do all this.  Have lots of patience, infinite patience  ( my term)  and let the run take as much time as it takes.   Monitor the process.

IF later on you see what looks like a all dark screen, do not panic.  Just move the mouse pointer and make circular motions  and eventually that will get the display to come alive.

No panic.   Good luck.  Just monitor the process.

Hello,

Still attempting to get the  1903  update to fully  update.  I want to say it finished downloading ??  But I get this error now

"Something went wrong

You can contact Microsoft Support  for help with this error. here is the error code 0x0020036" 

It seems this issue becomes more and more complex and just well...strange! So I left my machine on last night while it was downloading the update via the  linked software by Microsoft. I noticed though my computer kept restarting 2-3 times on it's own. A friend of mine at work today suggested I take a look at the event viewer. It appears the event viewer is getting a crazy amount of errors. (this is the event viewer in safe mode with networking ) 

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service TokenBroker with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
Windows.Internal.Security.Authentication.Web.TokenBrokerInternal
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service RmSvc with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{581333F6-28DB-41BE-BC7A-FF201F12F3F6}
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

From what I've  read (via my phone ) part of my computers problem could be the DCOM as it can cause constant reboots if the graphic driver is not up to date?  At least that's kind of what I gather? 

Just wanted to mention this in case it may be of use to you any. 

Still following you directly,

-Al

Regret to read of all that.  By the way, the Windows upgrade process does indeed do several reboots.  That is normal.

It seems this box ( Windows ) has at least 2 or more deficits.  One is with the Windows Update.  The other with having some services that are failing to start.  Those 3 or 4 are listed just above  ( in your last port).  Those do not have a relation to graphics driver or to the reboots.   ( A Windows Version Upgrade does normally do several reboots ! )

We are quite close to the point where I will be referring you elsewhere to get these issues taken care of.

Lets give this one try.  I am assuming that your Windows is NOT now in the update run.

Just one try only    for this.

Get  ( and save) the Windows Update Troubleshooter to automatically diagnose and resolve any software issues related to Windows Update.

Just double-click the latest WindowsUpdate.diagcab file to run the troubleshooter. Then, select Next and follow the steps in the wizard to find and fix issues with Windows Update.

So it said it was applying fixes and the following two results appeared 

1) Windows Update Componets must be repaired "not fixed" 

2) Potential Windows Update Database error detected "fixed" 

So...

something slightly alarming. I can't load into  regular Windows 10 anymore. It constantly reboots. Never gets to the  login screen. I can get to  safe mode just fine via f8. 

I was working on this write up here, before I got your very last message.  I do not know why your system is doing the reboots. !

Thanks for that preceding  information.   Lets not try any further Windows Update.  I am going to be referring you to the Sysnative forum for help on that.

I am very much hoping you can do all of the that follows in Normal mode of Windows.

Without spending a whole lot of time;  lets just have you look at the status of some Windows 10 services.

Press and hold the Windows-flag-key on keyboard and tap the *R* key to get the RUN menu option.

type in

services.msc

and press Enter key. 

The list of Windows services should be displayed in alpha order.  If they are not, click once on the column titled "Name".

Locate DCOM Server Process Launcher    then   right click  on that line and go to Properties.

In the Startup type select Automatic.

look on the Status column for that service. 

IF it does not show Running .... then look on the upper left corner and click on Start service.

Scroll down the list. Look for "Remote Procedure Call ( RPC )".

Does it show in the list as Running?
If it does not, then click the line "Remote Procedure Call ( RPC }  to be sure it is selected

look on the upper left corner and click on Start service.

Scroll down the list. Look for "RPC Endpoint Mapper".

If it does not, then click the line "RPC Endpoint Mapper " to be sure it is selected

Scroll back UP  the list. Look for "COM + Event System".

If it does not, then click the line "COM + Event System "  to be sure it is selected

Scroll down the list. Look for "Shell Hardware Detection".

If it does not, then click the line "Shell Hardware Detection " to be sure it is selected

I am very much hoping you can do all of the above in Normal mode of Windows.

After this, I may have you do one or 2 scans just as a safety check to see that there is no infection now.   Then I am going to refer you to SYSNATIVE forum for other help on Windows and on Windows Update.

Sincerely,

I am unable to get it to load into Regular windows. It reboots after getting to the Windows 10  logo/spinning wheel  part. 😨

Get it into SAFE mode with NETWORKING

you can temporarily ( just only for limited purpose) put the system into Safe Mode with Networking,
which would hopefully allow means of doing some things ( later).

Let us see if you could simply just get this machine into  Safe mode With NETWORKING just so we could look around. That would be strictly temporary.
*Do unplug all devices from your computer, including: Printers, scanners, copiers, external attached devices, etc.*
*The only devices you should leave attached to your computer are your monitor, mouse and keyboard, if the computer is a desktop.*
*And if this PC is a laptop or notebook be sure it is directly connected to Power with power cord.*

Turn off your pc. Wait about a minute.
Restart your pc. And right away, tap & retap the F8 Function-key on your keyboard. 
You should see Windows Advanced Options menu.
Select Safe Mode with Networking

NOTE: if the F8 function key-method did not prove usable, some systems may use F5 instead. 
And on some systems you may need to press the F2 function key to get hardware boot options.

Yes I am currently  in safe mode with networking 

only devices connected 

-mouse

-keyboard

-monitor

-power cable 

-netgear network adapter

Then please stay like that.   by the way, we seem to be having very very rapid back and forth replies.  Lets slow down the pace.

It just happens I am working other cases too.

Re-Review my preceding reply in post # 36  about Services.  Lets be sure that those services are NOT disabled.

Next, do one new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.   There should be no malware reported.  Let me lnow.

Next, do one new scan at Microsoft

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

take a minute to locate & then send the log that it made, named msert.log

It should be at C:\Windows\debug\msert.log

Hi Maurice Naggar, 

Apologies for going at too fast of a pace there! Will most definitely slow down so you can perform your duties appropriately. 

As far as the services mentioned above all of them except the last two (The COM one and the Shell one) are already automatical and started. The last two (the two I just mentioned) say they are automatic BUT can't be started in safe mode so not sure if that will have any effect on your troubleshooting. 

Both scans came back clean again. See attached logs. 

msert.log mbamreport3.txt

The Microsoft Safety Scanner reports no malware.  The Malwarebytes for Windows scan reported no malware.

The services appear to be set normally.  So that is good news on that.

We have not found malware on this machine.  We have pretty much reached the end of our quest here, and I am referring you to a forum that has experts on Microsoft Windows Updates.

I highly recommend that you get further help on the failing Windows Update and on the Upgrade to Build 1903.
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/

It is free to join and free to get help.  They specialize in Microsoft Windows Updates.
Read the pinned topic  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.4736/

Then make your help-request-post as a new one at this sub-forum  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/forums/windows-update.88/

You should mention that you had a case here at Malwarebytes forum.  And that we did not find an infection.

If you have questions at this point, let me know.   I do wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Hi Maurice Naggar, 

I will do as you say and reference them to this topic after following their beginning steps. I just wanted to take the moment to say thank you for everything you have done and I wish you the best yourself as well. 

I have not lost the faith in this amazing team here. 👍

You are very welcome.  I had hoped some of the earlier attempts would have yielded a good Update result.

Best wishes to you.

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks