CCleaner may install CCleaner Browser and remap file associations

I'm still active on the CCleaner forum. (Although I rarely use CCleaner these days, I wrote my own cleaner).

We have been nagging them for years (well before Avast acquired them) about the pre-ticked offer boxes.
And there have in the past been other problems with bundleware being installed without the option even being shown.
(I once got an install of Avast that wasn't offered so there wasn't even a box to untick. That made for an interesting thread on the forum, especially when it happened again but I caught it before it actually installed).

We know that they are working on a new installer, but they haven't confirmed yet if that will still include pre-ticking as well.

It can be a pain to remove these downloaded/installed offers if you aren't paying attention and leave the box(es) ticked when updating.
This issue with the new CC browser 'hijacking' the file associations is just the latest consequence if you inadvertently download/install the browser.
TBH most browsers do this when you first install them, CCleaners browser is not unique in that respect.

Most CCleaner 'regulars' do not use the 'Standard installer', or update from within the programme itself.
Instead we go to the CCleaner 'Builds' page and download either the 'Slim' installer which does not contain any bundled offers, or the 'Portable' which does not need to be installed.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

In fact I will usually download the 'Portable' zip file, copy the new CCleaner.exe/CCleaner64.exe from within it, and overwrite the existing/installed CCleaner.exe/CCleaner64.exe.
That gives you the latest version on your PC without running any installer.

I also delete the following after any actual install that I do. (And I have them as an 'Include' in CCleaner, so it deletes them itself when first run following an install):
The first in the list is their 'Emergency Updater' with which they can change things without asking you first, that's a security hole and has to go.
C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCupdate.exe
C:\Program Files\CCleaner\Lang\*.*
C:\Program Files\CCleaner\Setup\*.*
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\CCleaner Update

I just uninstalled the entire program!  Looking for another software program. I see more than a 1/2 a dozen others out there but - I never used any of them... If someone can post a

program (besides "Disk Cleanup")  please let me know how its working for you!   Still using Win 7 (SP1)   TIA... regards...

Hello @yardbird:

Almost three-dozen known Windows cleaning utilities exist.  Yet, you may wish to look at BleachBit.

BleachBit is a highly regarded, powerful, multi platform, open source, freeware utility whose origins go back to 2008.  BleachBit may be conventionally installed in Windows or run as a portable app.  BleachBit is quite compatible with the most recent Windows 10 1903 release build.

To maximize its abilities, the user's learning curve could be steep for some but well worth your time.

HTH

I looked at one or two 3rd party junk cleaners, and just what they were finding to clean, then took a plunge and wrote a batch file to clean what I wanted from my computer.

A long time since I had done any coding, but I found it easy enough to do.

Because it's basic (no error handling), specific to my particular machine, and only cleans the browsers/apps that I actually use, it's like a rocket.
It will finish a clean of cookies,supercookies, browser history/cache, some recent file lists, etc. in about half a second. (Less time than it takes a cleaning app to launch).
It also cleans some Windows stuff, but I generally leave that to Storage Sense to handle on a daily schedule.

I'm still developing it and add new things now and again.

Edited by nukecad
  • 4 weeks later...

I emailed Piriform about the (Top Post) & got a reply today (almost a month later) here's there reply below:

First of all, I sincerely apologize for the delayed response as we've recently received a much higher than normal volume of support requests.

Unfortunately it is true that at this current time, installing CCleaner Free with the option to "Make CCleaner Browser my default browser" will change various file associations in Windows so that by default, various different types of files will be opened via the default CCleaner Browser, rather than the files opening in the programs they did previously.

I can however completely understand how this would be unwanted in many situations, resulting in the end user having to reconfigure file associations in Windows according to their preferences, and I'll send this feedback to our development team.

Furthermore, we do plan to modify the behavior of the installer so that it will no longer change the file association for PDF files, and it's very possible that we'll continue to make additional modifications like this as well, especially as we continue to receive feedback like this.
Regards,

Megan Sparks | Piriform Support - San Antonio, Tx

Product Docs: http://www.piriform.com/docs
Help Center: http://support.piriform.com

Since last posting in this thread I've become a moderator on the Piriform (CCleaner) forum.
So I can now access the private 'staff' forum there and see a bit more about what they are intending, which is in line with what your email says.

Not mentioned in that email is that they are also making changes the behaviour of the pre-ticked offers, we'll see just what they do.

As far as the hijacked file associations we have seen a few complaints about it on their forum.
Not as many as I was expecting TBH, maybe because the browser is only being offered to 'a few' users at the moment.

I'm sure everyone here knows how to reset file associations, but just in case:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/54518-a-warning-about-the-latest-update-and-fix-for-pdf-files-hijacked-and/?tab=comments#comment-308428

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

Since last posting in this thread I've become a moderator on the Piriform (CCleaner) forum.
So I can now access the private 'staff' forum there and see a bit more about what they are intending, which is in line with what your email says.

Not mentioned in that email is that they are also making changes the behaviour of the pre-ticked offers, we'll see just what they do.

As far as the hijacked file associations we have seen a few complaints about it on their forum.
Not as many as I was expecting TBH, maybe because the browser is only being offered to 'a few' users at the moment.

I'm sure everyone here knows how to reset file associations, but just in case:
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/54518-a-warning-about-the-latest-update-and-fix-for-pdf-files-hijacked-and/?tab=comments#comment-308428

Nether email is mine, post 1 is from Ghacks... The reply on post 11 is from Piriform - keep us posted....  ( I already installed BleachBit)  Cheers.... 

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)

Just came across this again, so a bit of an update.

As promised the CCleaner 'standard' installer was changed so that any bundled offers from Piriform or Avast now appear on a seperate page with very clear 'Decline' or 'Accept' buttons.

image.png

However you should note that there is occasionally a Google Chrome offer that still uses the old style pre-ticked box which is easier to miss.
That's been shouted about but it seems to be a condition imposed by Google and not by Piriform. (That's yet to be fully confirmed).

CC pre ticked bundle.JPG

Edited by nukecad

Years ago I too used CCleaner. For many years now though I've stopped using it. Just don't really find the need anymore. Once in awhile, I'll ask a user to run the Speccy tool but really wish I didn't have to warn them about the installer.

NOTE: Due to changes from Avast please review the following installer settings

image.png

image.png

Why You Shouldn’t Download CCleaner for Windows anymore
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

Here’s What You Should Use Instead of CCleaner
https://www.howtogeek.com/361112/heres-what-you-should-use-instead-of-ccleaner/

Avast (CCleaner, Speccy) Privacy Policy

Yes. Speccy, Defreggler, and Recuva still have those old style installers which can catch users out.

Speccy hasn't had an update for a while now and can struggle with correctly identifying newer CPU's and drives.
It often reports temperatures wrongly as well, although it's usually obvious that they are reported much too high.

I wrote my own batch to clean up browser caches/history/cookies and some other stuff.
TBH I only have CCleaner now because I'm a mod on their forum.