ThomasRiis

Malwarebytes takes way way to long to scan??

So yesterday i updated malwarebytes(free) to it's newest version, And decided to do a custom scan.

I selected only my c.drive which have only 117gb of data out of 400(And it's an ssd drive), I also selected to scan for rootkits. I was expecting it to scan for around 30 minutes+ - but it took nearly 3 hours????, How is this possible??? i never experienced this on other versions That is not acceptable).

2 hours ago, ThomasRiis said:

I was expecting it to scan for around 30 minutes+ - but it took nearly 3 hours????, How is this possible???

Full scans are generally not recommended. Threat scans will scan everywhere malware hides.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:15 PM, exile360 said:

The Threat scan is recommended because the Research team finds all the locations used by threats in the real world and this is what comprises the Threat scan.  It is also dynamic, so whenever a new location is used by malware the Research team can add that new location in a database update (in other words it doesn't require a new Malwarebytes build/version release to change the locations checked by the Threat scan) so it is very efficient.  One thing to also keep in mind is that the Threat scan checks all running processes, threads and modules in memory, so even if an active threat were using some new/previously unknown location (even a location on a drive other than C:\) Malwarebytes would still can/detect it because it checks the files for all running processes in memory.  Of course Malwarebytes also checks all the usual loading points found on disk and in the registry for startup items, so even if a threat is installed in an unusual location it should still get caught because there is no way off-disk for a piece of malware to load on boot/startup.