Status Bar When Updating

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Honestly, most updates are so minuscule that there wouldn't be much point in displaying a progress bar or percentage, especially if you update regularly as through the default scheduled updates as most updates will be mere kilobytes in size as database updates are incremental, meaning only the changes (new additions, modifications of existing threat signatures, and removed signatures) are downloaded and processed.  This saves massive amounts of time and bandwidth vs downloading the database files from scratch each time an update occurs, especially since Malwarebytes typically receives updates 10 or more times per day depending on how busy the Research team has been throughout the day in developing signatures for new threats and adding entries to the Web Protection block databases.

With regards to notifications here on the forums, it should be configured to notify you by default unless a recent update to the forums changed this setting for some reason.  I'll ping the forums administrator to find out.  @AdvancedSetup are you aware of any recent changes to the default setting for forum thread reply notifications?  This user found that their account was set not to notify them of new replies to this thread by default.

Anyway, I hope I've been helpful, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Hello Exile:

Regarding email notifications, the white circle is toggled to the left by default (so I have to toggle it to the right (so that it shows the checkmark) before submitting this response.

I have no idea why it is not turned on (toggled to the right) by default.

Yes, I'm not certain either, because I know that normally it would be enabled by default.  It's supposed to be configured so that you will be notified whenever there is a reply to any thread you post in.  If you check the notification settings for your profile by clicking the small down arrow next to your profile name in the upper right hand corner of the forums and selecting Account Settings then clicking on the Notification Settings link under Other Settings on the right side of that page it should look similar to the following:

1863870376_notificationsettings.png.b814e08d8d2e49c7ebf78e0718212de4.png

1444947980_notificationlist.thumb.png.bcf85796090cf784a09f7220037aabdc.png

Exile:

After typing this message, I checked and notifications is toggled on so I am wondering if notifications has to be manually toggled on the first time that a message is posted and then the forum 'remembers' that setting.

Nonetheless, I will check my forum settings and update here in a few mins.

I checked the settings and, even though 'a notification when new content is posted' had a checkmark beside it, there were no checkmarks beside 'automatically follow new content I post' and 'automatically follow new content I reply to' so I added checkmarks to both of therm.

Options 1-3 and 9 have a checkmark in the email column, Options 4-7 have a checkmark in the notification list column, and Options 8 has a checkmark in both columns; Are these the corrtect settings?

The 'notify me of replies' for this message still has a checkmark beside it.

That's my signature, not part of the screenshot (it is displayed at the bottom of all of my posts).  The links in my signature are for the Malwarebytes browser extension beta which is available for both Chrome (and other Chromium based browsers like Microsoft's new Chromium based Edge browser, SRWare Iron, Vivaldi and many others) as well as Mozilla Firefox.  It uses new behavior based techniques to detect and block many malicious types of webpages like tech support scams, phishing sites, clickbait sites/links and also blocks many ads as well as trackers (to protect your privacy while browsing).  It works great on its own and also makes a great companion for Malwarebytes Premium and works well with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes.

As for the 'Reveal hidden contents'; that's just what is known as a 'spoiler tag'; it's a way of hiding information that is optional to save space and so as not to annoy users who do not wish to see it.  In my case, I'm using the spoiler tag to hide my system hardware specs which I include in case anyone is curious about the type of system I am running.  If you click where it says 'Reveal hidden contents' you'll see it for yourself; it will list all the info I put there in my signature about my system.

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, Happy78 said:

*Also, why isn't 'notify me of replies' enabled by default?

I assumed it was, posted the thread, then realized that my previous message cannot be edited to change the email status?

You will not get any status update alert, list, or email from any of your own replies or new posts. Only from other members. Right now, me replying to you will only get an email. It won't be in your notification list. If you do not get an email then it is probably something on your ISP or email provider. There is no special setting per member. If email or notification alerts did not work it would affect ALL users including my own account.

This is part of your current settings.

image.png

I would personally recommend that the top two items also be set for your notification list so that even if you don't check your email but you're on the site you'll see that someone did reply.

Some of the settings are not automatically set because some users don't want it and with stuff like GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) we have to try to err on the side of not sending stuff if people don't want it.

With you manually setting though you should get it either added to your Notifications or Email, or Both.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Ron:

By default, the 'notify me of replies' still has a checkmark beside it and I received an email when you replied so that setting works now.

To be clear about email/notifications, which specific option mentions 'replying to my thread' because none of them state that.

1a. Was the screenshot of my settings or your settings?

b. All I want is to receive email notifications when someone replies to my thread:

Does 'New content for things I follow' (Email with checkmark), ‘Someone comments on something I follow’ (Email with checkmark), ‘New Content for things I follow,’ and/or ‘Someone comments on something I follow’ do that?

Out of 'New content for things I follow' (Email with checkmark), ‘Someone comments on something I follow’ (Email with checkmark), ‘New Content for things I follow,’ and/or ‘Someone comments on something I follow,' which one or ones should be 'checked' in order to receive email notifications?

I am confused so it must just be me-Please answer each question separately:

1a. Does 'New content for things I follow,' ‘Someone comments on something I follow,' or both mean that I will receive email notifications?

b. Why is 'New content for things I follow' listed twice, once in the checkmark section and again under Emails/Notifications and why is  ‘Someone comments on something I follow' also listed twice, once in the checkmark section and under Emails/Notification?

Surely, an option stating 'receive email notifications' with a checkmark option would be a lot clearer.

Disregard the above message-The following is what I want to know and I have worded it clearer:

1a. I only want to receive email notifications when someone replies to my post-Does a checkmark get placed beside 'Automatically follow new content I post,' 'Automatically follow content I reply,' or both? 

b Does a checkmark get placed in the Email column for 'New content for things I follow ,'Someone comments on something I follow,' or both?

c. What is the difference between  'Automatically follow new content I post,'  'Automatically follow content I reply to,' 'New content for things I follow,' and 'Someone comments on something I follow? Surely, an option simply stating 'receive email notifications' with a checkmark option would be a lot clearer than all of this confusing options.

There are two columns for each setting because one is for the forum notifications displayed in your web browser while viewing the forums (that's what the first column is for), and the other is for receiving email notifications.  There are different categories; for example, if I start a thread of my own as you did here in this topic, the setting for 'Automatically follow new content I post' applies; however another category would be someone else's thread that you reply to; for example, you started this thread that we are chatting in right now, however I want to be notified whenever anyone replies to it since I am now a participant in it and this is what the 'Automatically follow content I reply to' setting is for.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.  Basically by default you will receive an email whenever someone replies to this topic, and you will receive an email if anyone replies to any other topic that you post in (at least by default).

Exile360:

Yes, I understand the difference between the terminology of the two columns and the various options listed under each.

However, why are there the two options (with checkmark options) plus all of the options under the two columns?'

None of the options are clearly titled 'receive email notifications when someone replies to my thread.'

For my purposes in order to receive email notifications only, there should be checkmarks beside 'a notification when new content is posted',' 'automatically follow new content I post', and 'automatically follow new content I reply to' and  Options 1 and 2 have checkmarks under the Email column. 

Is that correct?