Windows Update\Defender stopped running, can't install Malwarebytes

Maybe your account is having permission issues.. Try the hidden Admin account, see if that makes any difference..

Select Windows key and X key together, from the list select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

At the prompt type or copy paste net user administrator /active:yes select enter.

Close out and reboot, you will see a new account "Administartor" select it and follow the prompts through.

When that account is set see if you can merge WinDefend.reg

Thanks for the update, we need to close out that special account for now....

Select Windows key and X key together, from the list select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

At the prompt type or copy paste net user administrator /active:no select enter.

Close out and reboot.

Next,

Open Regedit, select this key "Hkey_Current_User" then select "Edit" then "Permissions" In the new box select your user account that has admin status.. Does "Full Control" show as allowed..?

Next,

Highlight this key "Hkey_Local_Machine" then select "Edit" then "Permissions" In the new box that opens select the Administrator account... Does "Full Control" show as allowed..?

Hello Jeff23,

Those permissions are exactly as they should be, so we are just not finding the problem... If this was my PC I would now go for a system refresh, that is all your personal stuff would be saved and Windows reinstalled.. Unfortunately any programs/software you`ve installed yourself would be lost and need to be reinstalled. How do you feel about that option...??

Kevin...

Well, I guess if that's  the only option left I don't really have a choice...

I'm not sure what it means when it says it will keep my "personal files" though. What about, say, a game installed to C:\Folder_I_Made\Game\ or media files in C:\Movies\ ? I'm not clear on how it determines between a "program you installed" vs. a "personal file."

You are using the free version of Malwarebytes, that should have no effect on WD. I personally have the premium version of Malwarebytes, it runs without issue, as does WD...

Have a read at the following link regarding System Refresh: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

One other point, maybe worth having a look at system restore, are there any restore points available pre this problem starting...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

There's a restore point on Jul 2 with the description "windows update" so I guess that was before the update problem, I don't know if that's before or after the windows defender problem... I'm assuming they happened at the same time. I guess it's worth trying...

Probably the best option now is to take this to the Microsoft Community, explain the problem with Defender after the update. Also give link to this thread...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

I`m sure those guys who are specific to Windows will have an answer for you. Can you let me know outcome please...

Thank you,

Kevin...

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks