Windows Update\Defender stopped running, can't install Malwarebytes

Windows Update produces an error and Windows Defender doesn't start.

I haven't installed any third party security software. When I tried to install Malwarebytes (as well as mb-support-1.4.0.615) an error message says it's blocked by the admin for my protection. I'm using the admin Windows account.

In services.msc the "Security Center" options (start/stop etc) are greyed out, though its status is "Running."

Last update for Windows update is listed as July 2.

I also tried setting these registry entries to "0" and it didn't change anything;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Policy Manager]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection]
"DisableBehaviorMonitoring"=dword:00000001
"DisableOnAccessProtection"=dword:00000001
"DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"=dword:00000001

Also, there is a "CFGOptions" in my registry at
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MsMpEng.exe
which I saw on one website that says it should be deleted. I haven't yet.

FRST.txt and Addition.txt attached.

Addition.txt FRST.txt

Hello Jeff23 and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Continue with the following:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file when running FRST fix"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

If you do not have Malwarebytes installed do the following:

Download Malwarebytes version 3 from the following link:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Double click on the installer and follow the prompts. If necessary select the Blue Help tab for video instructions....

When the install completes or Malwarebytes is already installed do the following:

Open Malwarebytes, select > "settings" > "protection tab"

Scroll down to "Scan Options" ensure Scan for Rootkits and Scan within Archives are both on....

Go back to "DashBoard" select the Blue "Scan Now" tab......

When the scan completes deal with any found entries...

To get the log from Malwarebytes do the following:

• Click on the Report tab > from main interface.
  • Double click on the Scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click Export > From export you have two options:
    Copy to Clipboard - if seleted right click to your reply and select "Paste" log will be pasted to your reply
    Text file (*.txt) - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply

• Please use "Copy to Clipboard, then Right click to your reply > select "Paste" that will copy the log to your reply…

Next,

Please download AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes and save the file to your Desktop. https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner
  • Right-click on the program and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • Wait until the database is ?updated.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • When finished, please click Clean & Repair.
  • Your PC should reboot now if any items were found.
  • After reboot, a log file will be opened. Copy its content into your next reply. ?

Next,

Download Microsoft's " Malicious Software Removal Tool" and save direct to the desktop

Ensure to get the correct version for your system....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

Right click on the Tool, select “Run as Administrator” the tool will expand to the options Window
In the "Scan Type" window, select Quick Scan
Perform a scan and Click Finish when the scan is done.

Retrieve the MSRT log as follows, and post it in your next reply:

1) Select the Windows key and R key together to open the "Run" function
2) Type or Copy/Paste the following command to the "Run Line" and Press Enter:

notepad c:\windows\debug\mrt.log

The log will include log details for each time MSRT has run, we only need the most recent log by date and time....

Let me see those logs in your next reply, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns..

Thank you,

Kevin.

fixlist.txt

"FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt" attached.

Windows Defender still doesn't start and Update won't work.

I was getting error 0x80070424 for Update, then I did steps 1,2 & 4 from here;
https://appuals.com/fix-windows-update-error-0x80070424/
And now Update is giving error 0x80080005. Windows Update is not listed in services.msc.

So I tried the first solution posted here;
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-error-0x80080005/07b6e544-a501-4492-851d-83fcb80e8f2f
When I was at the step for restarting the services in the command prompt, for "wuauserv" it said the file cannot be found.

Addition.txt FRST.txt

FRST is reporting Windows Defender as "Enabled" and "Up to date" what do you mean by " Still not seeing the windows anti virus though"

If you want to see defender on the taskbar select start (windows flag) scroll down to "Windows Security" in the programs list. Right click on windows security, select "More" then "Pin to Taskbar"

Check WD settings, type services.msc into the search function next to start flag, hit enter. Scroll to Defender in the service list and check it`s settings...

defender.JPG

There seems to be some stuff missing, it's not working as it should; screenshots attached.

There is also no "Scan with Windows Defender" option in the right-click context menu, when it used to be there. I'm assuming whatever disabled Windows Update messed with Windows Defender as well since it happened at the same time.

Also, pinning to taskbar is not the same as a system tray icon.

security.png

services.png

Download FixWin10 by The Windows Club from here:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloading-fixwin-10

Some AV programs can alert to this tool, it is very safe and trusted, allow it to download and run.

Unzip the file to your Desktop, open the unzipped folder and double click on Fix Win 10.1.exe to run the tool. From the main interface select "System Tools" scroll to the option to "Repair Windows Defender" select the fix option, that will reset all WD settings to default. Close the tool on completion and reboot your system...

Does that help...?

Tools.JPG

Didn't seem to change anything. It said some changes were successful but others gave error messages.

I noticed my computer also won't let me add this key manually in regedit (it's not there currently);

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WinDefend

I can add other key names in that folder, just not one called WinDefend. I'm worried I still may be infected with something, or maybe the changes it made are still in effect somewhere...

Frustrating! I appreciate the responses though.

error.png

This sounds as if the full reg key for Windows Defender is either corrupt or totally broken.. I`ve attached WinDefend.zip to this reply, download that file and save to your Desktop. Unzip that file so you now have WinDefend.reg on your desktop. Double click on that file, agree any alerts or merges. Reboot when complete...

Does that help..

WinDefend.zip

Edited by kevinf80

That gives the same error message as window #2 in the pic in my previous post. Something is stopping the "WinDefend" key from being created. Gives the same error if I try to manually create it in regedit. The key is not there at all currently.

Download Portable Windows Repair (all in one) from the following:

www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip

Unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop. This tool is best run from safe mode, that option is available from the main interface.

Open the folder, double click "Repair_Windows.exe" to run the tool. Wait for the tool to run and do its checks...

From the main interface select "Reboot to Safe mode"

Open the tool again when in safe mode, from the main interface select "Preset: All repairs" then select "Start Repairs"

Let the tool finish, when done reboot.
Edited by kevinf80

Thanks for the update, run this please:

Download Farbar Service Scanner from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/ and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender

• Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.