rgam

No indication revert to free?

First, let me say that I appreciate the apology/post by Bdubrow currently at top of this forum about the licensing system change.

Second, I'm not yet convinced I want to keep doing biz with the company - still haven't resolved devices/licenses, problem exacerbated by this hitting at same time upgrading/replacing some of the computers.

But, the main reason for this post - it appears to me that with the newest/newer versions of MB, the system tray icon gives no indication that the Premium version has been reverted to Free. So, all the people I've told to "make sure you see the bat icon as 1 solid color/no !/etc" is no longer sufficient: a system that's been silently changed to Free by MB still has the same icon that Premium would - no indication!? 

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello,

Take one or two seconds, and hover your mouse pointer over the icon on the Notification area.   You should see "Malwarebytes Premium" displayed if in Premium status.

Notes:

The behavior of the icon and display has not changed over several versions.

As to the unfortunate reversion to free on some machines - - - I would advise as a precaution, to always do a Windows Restart first before actually applying a upgrade start.

That helps a lot in case of a needed reboot  and minimizes cycles or delays due to reloading open apps that may interfere or take up cycles ....that may slow down communications.

e.g.

Dismiss the Upgrade notice box.  Plus close all open user programs.  Then do a Windows Restart.

Next, Start Malwarebytes.  Click Settings.  Click on Install Application Updates.  follow prompts.  Click yes to proceed when re-prompted.

H.T.H.

My experience with my few hundred clients is when it breaks it is usually after a version update or a major change like a bios update or programs like Ninite upgrades it goes into TRIAL mode and it starts popping up notices that the trial is expiring and that gets my clients calling.

WHY would anyone want MB running in System Tray all the time when it has reverted to FREE version with NO REALTIME Protection?

The de-licensing that is happening doesn't go to a trial with real-time protection, it goes to NO realtime protection, but still shows the system tray icon as if you are protected? That's crazy! And I never thought that was the case.  

The free version of Malwarebytes 3 has always run in the tray.  It's for convenience so that if the user wants to run a scan they can more easily and more quickly.  That said, if you don't want it to run in the tray you can disable the option to have it start with Windows and if you've run it, if you don't want it to continue running in the background you can right-click the tray icon and select Quit Malwarebytes.

Still think this behavior is insane and potential legal liability for MB...........

Beyond insanity to take up resources (and sending telemetry to MB?) for free version when it is just as convenient to put an icon on desktop to start up the software.

I know how to make it not start with Windows and how to stop it when it's in the tray - but most of the people I'm dealing with do not.

I suspect that if someone doesn't know how to exit the application, they probably aren't going to be too bothered about it running in the tray.  It consumes very little resources without any protection running, and as far as I know the only telemetry Malwarebytes collects in free mode comes from the scans performed by the user (i.e. for detections etc.).  I can't see any legal issues with it as it's a pretty common practice for many freemium applications like Malwarebytes to continue running in the background even when in free mode.  In fact, the older versions of Malwarebytes were actually outliers in that area as most of its peers at the time like Spybot, Ad-Aware and SUPERAntiSpyware would actually remain resident in the system tray when not in use, even in free mode so Malwarebytes 3 is now actually more inline with the expected behavior as established by other products in the same category than it was when it didn't remain resident in the tray in free mode.

I have a machine (that is primarily unattended) that has had the same damn thing happen on more than 1 occasion. Utterly ridiculous.

Completely disappeared from Desktop, System Tray, and Add/Remove Programs (Windows 7).

I AM ROYALLY UPSET with this. This is totally unacceptable, and 1 of the reasons why I will not continue to recommend MB.

Support is pretty worthless/useless at MB.

(I would add that on this machine where the software is totally gone, I have an 'instlrupdate' folder in the Malwarebytes Tree that has an mb3-setup----3.8.3... executeable sitting there, and it is impossible to delete even with administrator rights.

This file has a date stamp of July 18, 2019, and I would guess that's when MB got uninstalled - probably as MB decided it should update itself (unattended?) and probably ran into some issue.

This is unacceptable. But par for the course with MB.

This is the issue:

I've told everyone that I had use MB to always look at the System Tray for the 'M' bat icon and make sure there is nothing but the solid blue color. Because if real-time protection isn't on, it changes.

I guess I never was using/recommending MB when it was free, and until recently I don't think MB did this silent reversion to Free version. 

So, while you can have Premium and get a warning that you don't have real-time protection, apparently you can't count on getting the warning as MB can decide to deactivate your Premium without any notice whatsoever, and the tray icon remains identical to all protections enabled. 

This is ridiculous. 

Use the mouse pointer and HOVER over the Malwarebytes icon and it will display "Premium" if it is in premium mode.

also if it is in Premium mode and something is not right, there will be a red triangle with a white exclamation mark.

Also, start the Malwarebytes and look at the Dashboard summary.   That provides status information.

As to the last mention of the license going away, that is a case by case situation.   Some of those are unfortunate upgrades.  On others, seek help with Support.

On the occasion of getting a Upgrade version notice .....follow best practices to get a better outcome.

Dismiss the mini-window & close all open user programs.  Then do a Windows Restart.

Next, Start Malwarebytes.  Click Settings.  Click on Install Application Updates.  follow prompts.  Click yes to proceed when re-prompted.

The Windows Action Center/Security Center will also alert you if Malwarebytes has been registered there, which it will be by default if you aren't using a third party AV on your system.  You can also enable the feature manually if you choose to do so under Malwarebytes settings.

Yes true, they should give you a warning. This happens when you used the key on more computers then only one. Because of the new system Malwarebytes is now using all your computers will revert to free version, until you reset your license on your account. Even after a system restart your Premium change to Trial without any notice, until you hoover over with your mouse or open the menu. I have seen on many computer's that not even the windows action center give you a warning.

If your key becomes blacklisted, the same thing happens. No alert from Malwarebytes, support could clear this error for me. This can be a trap for young players, thinking everything is OK while it is working in trial mode without any protection enabled. Many people even not go look in the action center from windows, even when it is colored read. They don't know what it is, and don't want to touch it, so leave it alone like this. Malwarebytes should give you a warning on screen when it suddenly change to trial, so that the user is warned and can take action!

Just for clarification, if Malwarebytes reverts to the trial (not free mode), then all Premium features, including real-time protection will still be active, at least for the 14 day duration of the trial.  Prior to the trial expiring it will notify you that your trial will soon expire and that you'll lose real-time protection.  Obviously this doesn't help those where the product has reverted to the free version, but at least for those where it reverts to the trial they will still be protected and will be notified before they lose that protection.

I had many people calling me that there was a red mark in the action center, when i did go look malwarebytes was in the free version after upgrade to 3.8.3.

She could not remember she see a warning of malwarebytes. On some computers this does not work, or the user changed this setting in the action center. Now everything is working okay again.

Yes, in her case Malwarebytes was registered with the Windows Action Center and it reverted to free mode.  Hopefully in most cases this won't happen at all or at least it will revert to the trial but I'm not sure what controls whether it reverts to free or the trial (it likely depends on whether the user has ever used the free trial or not) but hopefully only a small number of users will be impacted by these issues while Malwarebytes transitions to the new licensing system.

In the meantime, I'd highly recommend everyone sign up at My.Malwarebytes.com to track and control your licenses and devices.  It makes deactivating and moving your licenses to new devices much easier as you don't have to wait on Support to do so and you can see where each license is active.

Yep! I did do that for all the users i know, and made an account for them. I also did give them some advice and learn how to work with my account, Malwarebytes and the action center in windows. Now everyone is protected and can safely go on the internet. 😉

Normally they always call me when they have a warning on screen, and not know what is going on. Later when i just was passing by, i noticed Malwarebytes was in free mode. She swear she had not seen any warning on screen. Just upgraded to new 3.8.3 version she told me.  Malwarebytes should change this in a new version later, so that the user knows it is in free mode working.

1 minute ago, SPDIF said:

Malwarebytes should change this in a new version later, so that the user knows it is in free mode working.

Currently after MB upgrades it automatically opens the GUI. The GUI right then will show free, trial or premium at the top.

Yep told everyone now to look good after any upgrade is coming on screen, and call me when they see something they not understand.

10 minutes ago, SPDIF said:

Yep told everyone now to look good after any upgrade is coming on screen, and call me when they see something they not understand.

I have a very close relationship with my 17 yrs of clients. It also helps that I do not charge for Malwarebytes support calls (Get very few most of the time). Usually a quick remote session takes care of 99% of issues.

My clients are not far away and most of time i take my motorbike. And they appreciate if you come buy personally. A little chit-chat, and yes i am a real talker... 😋

8 minutes ago, SPDIF said:

And they appreciate if you come buy personally.

If I did house calls still that takes me away from other computers I am working on and would not be cheap or free.

10 minutes ago, SPDIF said:

and yes i am a real talker... 😋

I have that "problem" as well. I could probably give you a run for your money on that.