Kaspersky and Malwarebytes

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello rarebuff.    :welcome:

This pc has Kaspersky installed, so it is worthwhile to review it and be sure it has the adjustments that are needed, such that it treats Malwarebytes as a trusted application.
*+Kaspersky antivirus /3rd party firewall+:*
To set exclusions for Malwarebytes in Kaspersky please do the following:

# Open Kaspersky 
# Click the Settings button on the bottom left (looks like a cog/gear)
# Click *Additional*
# Click *Threats and Exclusions*
# Click *Specify Trusted applications*

image.png.2905ac52c169f703b9658da05c870a9d.png

In the new window that pop up click *Add* at the bottom right
Under *File or folder* click *Browse*
Navigate to the following folder (or your install location for Malwarebytes if it's different from the default location):
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
Click Select
Make sure that ALL Protection components are selected and the Status is Active
Click Continue on the Confirmation popup

As an add precaution you will also want to disable Advanced Disinfection.

image.png.dcbf12bf312fe89324c534fb94f0d90e.png

Open Kaspersky 
Click the Settings button on the bottom left (looks like a cog)
Click *Additional*
Click *Threats and Exclusions*
*Uncheck* the box next to *Enable Advanced Disinfection technology*

When all done, use the Windows Start menu and do a Restart.

Your Kasperky trusted applications should look like this

image.png.a6a43de5aca518e841a302bbb8bc35d3.png

After a windows Restart, and allowing system time to settle in

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Yes, it's perfectly safe to use them both.  Malwarebytes is not an actual antivirus and it's been deliberately engineered not to interfere with an active AV so it is very good at avoiding conflicts.  You can run Malwarebytes alone if you wish, however you may keep your AV alongside Malwarebytes if you would prefer to do so in order to have an additional layer of protection.

2 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Malwarebytes Premium is not a traditional ( actual ) antivirus.  I just want to note, if your Windows is Windows 10, you can save money by doing without the Kaspersky and using the built-in Windows Defender antivirus.

I have that setup on 100's of my client's and works like a charm. But, I also recommend using Firefox or Chrome with Ublock origin installed. I also recommend regular IMAGE backups as well.

You bet.  It goes without saying to practice safe pc use, along with safe daily practices, and beefing up all web browsers.

We should also mention that for Windows 10 Edge browser, Microsoft store applet has browser ad blockers.

Beyond regular Backups, and keeping up with Microsoft Windows Updates, the following is probably the next most important tips:

Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

On 7/16/2019 at 5:28 PM, rarebuff said:

Can I use Malwarebytes premium and Kapersky Internet Security at the same time? Both with full protection enabled.
Will there be any conflicts?

Of what benefit would there be by using both, as Kapersky already defends against malware. Thanks in advance for any response.

7 minutes ago, jbobrien said:

Of what benefit would there be by using both, as Kapersky already defends against malware. Thanks in advance for any response.

I all depends on which one you are willing to pay for/trust. Personally, I have been using Malwarebytes since before it was called Malwarebytes. I have been a reseller since 2009 and have trusted 100's of my clients computers with it just as long.

Each program has its strength's and weaknesses. But Malwarebytes is one of the very few that can work along side most other AV programs. In my case it is Win 10's Defender.

18 minutes ago, jbobrien said:

Malwarebytes includes many layers of defense that Kaspersky and other AVs do not.  You can learn more about the various components in Malwarebytes Premium by reviewing the diagram and information found on this page and you can see live data in real-time of actual threats being detected by the free version of Malwarebytes (on-demand scanner only) where an active antivirus is present (and I'm sure you'll see Kaspersky on the list after a bit, as I usually do, though it is live data so it's dynamic and changes all the time) by visiting this page.  Also note that the heat map I linked to does not include any PUP or PUM detections (Potentially Unwanted Programs or Potentially Unwanted Modifications) so only actual malware threat detections get counted and displayed on the map and list of detections.

I just grabbed a screenshot of the page I linked to with the heatmap after allowing it to run for a few minutes in the background and here is what it shows so far for detections by Malwarebytes where each of the listed AVs is installed; obviously the most common will be Microsoft since Windows Defender is by far the most commonly installed AV as it ships with Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, but note all the other AVs listed there as well and the numbers of threats that Malwarebytes detected even though those AVs were present:

missed.thumb.png.4116d666f73ecc468df4763ebc5a2550.png

This is one of the many reasons that we are confident in Malwarebytes' effectiveness as it proves itself in real world scenarios against real malware.  It is obviously up to you entirely, however I've been using Malwarebytes since it was in its first beta (pre-1.0) and in all that time since I started using it all those years ago (all the way back to 2008 if you're curious) my systems have been infected by malware exactly 0 times.  I do take additional security measures to secure my systems obviously, however seeing the number of items that Malwarebytes detects/blocks when I'm browsing the web, I'm confident that if I didn't have it I would have gotten infected many times throughout the years.