RTProtectionDaemon using 99% of CPU

When scan is running, the RTProtectionDaemon is using around 99% of my CPU, which is heating up my mid-2015 MacBook Pro running Yosemite and subsequently causing my fan to run continuously. What is the remedy for this? I don't recall this being a problem in the past, possibly prior to an upgrade of Malwarebytes? I'm on v 3.8.17. What can I do short of uninstalling Malwarebytes? Thanks.

OK. I uninstalled/reinstalled and the first scan ran. I see no improvement in the amount of RAM the RTProtectionDaemon is eating up during a scan. The first screenshot is with Malwarebytes running the first scheduled scan. The second is after it's completed. Outside of Malwarebytes and Activity Monitor, I only had Mail and Chrome during the screenshots. What to do?128409954_ScreenShot2019-07-16at10_07_30AM.thumb.png.d047fff01ae57970e5c2b12985230c59.png128409954_ScreenShot2019-07-16at10_07_30AM.thumb.png.d047fff01ae57970e5c2b12985230c59.png.1607447043_ScreenShot2019-07-16at10_09_19AM.thumb.png.6842e35822a98acbacc35bf94994fc24.png

In fact the percentage goes up a lot; from 0.2% to 30% in the first attempt, to 48% in the second, to 55% in the third during the tests with manual scans one after the other; then return to the end of each scan at 0.2%.
However, since the scan lasts about 10 seconds, I must say that this is not a particular concern for me at the moment.

The fan never run. I only had Activity Monitor and Malwarebytes open in addition to system processes.

Edited by MAXBAR1
Added list of open software and fan work

Your numbers all sound good, Maxbar1. Mine, however, are different and have not changed since the ininstall/reinstall. I started a manual scan and it is still using 99%+ or -. The scan took 6 minutes. I don't mind that in and of itself but last night while streaming and a scheduled scan was running, the computer was heating up and the fan was running. So it seems I don't have a solution yet.

Perhaps, I should schedule less frequent scans per day? It's now set for default which is hourly. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am working with Aditya who advised me to download the Debug-MWBInfo.zip file as part of an effort to provide more information to MWB support. Chrome is giving me a warning that the file "is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous." It's not even downloading the file. Thanks, Angela

I'm not familiar with "Debug-MWBInfo.zip", cannot locate anything with that name by searching all Malwarebytes sites and since you didn't provide a link to it I cannot check it out in Chrome or any other browser. Mac users are normally told to download the support tool from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbst-mac for troubleshooting purposes. If you are asking whether the file is dangerous, I would ask Aditya about it or give us the link so that we can check it out. For safety purposes, don't make it a clickable link by using the "<>" icon to display it as code.

I normally advise users to avoid Chrome due mostly to the fact that it's a resource hog (RAM & CPU) but also because of Google's reputation with regards to user privacy. I suspect the warning is coming from a Chrome extension that you have installed, but might also come from Google Safe Browsing services. If you are asking for a way to download the file, then use a different browser.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been experiencing the same issue with the RTProtectionDaemon process since I installed Malwarebytes Premium last week. This process runs no less than 55% CPU at all times. It is commonly around 67%. I have a 2019 Macbook 16" running MacOS 11.0.1. 

Between the recent buggy MacOS Big Sur update, and now this, it sounds like the fans in my Macbook Pro are going to explode. Please help.