NaniwaTiger89

Possible Malware causes High CPU temp

Hello again Exile,

I removed the traces of Avast using using the uninstall utility (Kinda weird to find traces since I already removed it using the uninstall utility on safe mode as well upon Ron's advice). I searched about this High temp issue a few days when I noticed it and saw other MSI users complaining about the high temp but I was unable to link it to the intel 7th gen chip temp issue so I took a guess that it was caused by a malware since it was the first time i noticed the coolers flare out loudly like that. I appreciate the suggestion for de-lidding but I am scared that i might screw up the chip (might be my very last resort). I will stick to undervolting for now, I will try for -100.6 MV on the core and -100.6 MV on the cache voltage and -40.0 mv intel GPU  on Throttlestop and see if it I am comfortable with the temps. I will also order the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut next week once payday arrives since the thermal grease that was re-applied was just a cheap one. I am curious what is your Laptop's average idle temps and also Gaming temps on mid/heavy loads an also what multiplier you use on Throttlestop since mine was defaulted to 38 and I lowered it to 28. Thanks!

I have my CPU overclocked to 4.6GHz across all cores and my idle temps are in the low to mid 40'sC and my gaming temps are in the mid 60'sC~mid70'sC.  Under an extreme load (like AIDA64 etc.) it can get into the low to mid 80'sC depending on the workload and ambient temps in the room (the hot humid weather we get sometimes around here can definitely affect my computer thermals, but since I delidded and applied the Kryonaut I've never had a single instance of thermal throttling or out of control temps).  The absolute highest temps I've seen are in the low 90's C, but that's incredibly rare and only possible when under a huge load and on a very hot day.  Gaming doesn't actually push the CPU nearly that hard so the highest it might get for a particularly demanding game might be into the upper 70's or low 80's at the most, though it's quite rare for it to even get that hot, especially if I turn up the fans (I also tend to adjust my fan profiles accordingly when doing anything particularly taxing such as playing an intensive game or running a benchmark).

Much also depends on the cooling solution in the laptop though as well, and it's entirely possible that the heat sinks and fans built into the laptop just aren't doing the job to dissipate enough heat from the chip in which case something like a cooling pad with fans might also help.  It's also a good idea to make sure you use your laptop on a flat surface where it gets plenty of airflow.  If you sit with it directly on your legs or on top of a blanket on your bed or on something soft like a pillow then its airflow will be impeded greatly and it will get hot very fast.

Anyway, I think the undervolting should definitely help, as will the Kryonaut (I've found it to be better than even other pricey thermal pastes such as IC Diamond and Arctic Silver and it's the only paste I'll use now; it's also what I used to tame both my current 7700K as well as my previous system).

I don't underclock at all, though I do have some saved profiles in ThrottleStop that do allow the clocks to drop when idle, though typically I just keep it on my gaming profile of 4.6GHz as I like everything to be as snappy as possible.  Basically it's just the difference between enabling features like the lower power C-states for the CPU by changing the value for the Speed Shift EPP setting (0 for my gaming profile at full 4.6GHz (which is 100MHz above the default top speed for a single core under Turbo Boost by the way; such speed would not be possible if I hadn't used Kryonaut; I know because I tried) and my non-gaming profile uses a Speed Shift value of 60 and a multiplier setting of 44 instead of 46).

Hello exile,

Thanks for the info. Undervolting definitely did help! I was able to reduce my temps by 10-20's C. My idle temps are mid 40s to 55 now while having Warframe Launcher open is now only high 60s - 70 C flat. While in-game with it was 70s-80s C while playing with a full squad of players, before it was 80s C while playing solo or reaching high 80s - 97s C or even reaching 100 C for a split seconds when playing with other players. I also have my Shift Speed set to 110 in Throttlestop. My laptop is also sitting on a cooling pad with 6 fans in slanted elevated position which i bought after noticing the flaring sounds of the cooler and high temps on MSI after burner but it only manage to reduce the temps to about ~3 C before i did the undervolting.

That's excellent news, I'm glad that it helped :)!

I'm a high-end laptop enthusiast, so undervolting and tools such as ThrottleStop have become my best friends in eking every last bit of performance out of my machines while still maintaining reasonable temps (and most importantly, avoiding throttling down to lower clock speeds :P).

I'm certain that once you apply the Kryonaut to your CPU and GPU that things will improve even more; I know it's always been that way for me at least (in fact, my current system came from the manufacturer with the CPU delidded and Kryonaut applied between the silicon and the IHS, as this is a service/option they offer to unleash the power and potential of the systems they sell).

Anyway, it sounds like things are going well now.  Was there anything else you needed our assistance with or are you satisfied with the results at this point?  There's definitely more we could do, but if you're happy to leave well enough alone then it's totally understandable.

Hello again exile,

Its awesome that yours came already de-lidded with high quality thermal paste applied. So far I am currently satisfied with mine as long as it doesn't reach high 90s C temps. If I ever go the de-lidding route and have questions or questions about the options we could do to improve the temperature more I'll shoot you a PM if. I hope de-lidding and Kryonaut would enable me to run games without needing to undervolt. Thank you guys so much for all the help and advices!

Yep, agreed, as long as your temps are under control then you should be just fine, and once your order for Kryonaut comes in and you re-paste your CPU and GPU I'm certain your temps will improve even more so you should be just fine without needing to delid the CPU.