Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Stop multiple regs

Hi.

I have a lifetime licence and appreciate the fact that it's supposedly now 1 machine only, rather than the previous unintended 3... so why can I register on another machine? Means I have to go into my online account and delete it if someone uses my code, no? How do I prevent multiple activations - accidental or otherwise?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Once the software has been activated on one machine it can no longer be activated on another until you either deactivate your license on that machine using the Deactivate License button in the Malwarebytes UI, or uninstall the software from that device, or deactivate your license using your account at My.Malwarebytes.com.  This means that for someone to try and use your key when it's already in use by you, they would first either have to gain access to your machine to deactivate your key in your copy of the software, or they would have to access your account at My.Malwarebytes.com.  This is one of the reasons the My Account/My.Malwarebytes.com license management system was created so that customers such as yourself could have full control over your license keys and devices, monitor where they are installed/activated, and more easily deactivate them to move them to other devices if you ever need to (if, for example you got a new computer and needed to move your license to that new system from your existing system).  Before the new My.Malwarebytes.com license management system existed, and especially while multiple activations were still allowed on single device license keys it was much easier for someone to steal another user's license key and use it on their own device without the actual owner knowing about it or being able to do anything about it, but now with the new system you can not only deactivate your key from any device where it has been activated remotely via My.Malwarebytes.com, but now you can also see where the license key has been activated so you can quickly identify whether the active device is your own PC or not.

Yes, I think I understand how it's SUPPOSED to work - what I'm saying is that I have my licence in use (on my mother's PC) and I am able to register it on my laptop at home. It then shows up in my online account as having activated it on more machines than it's licensed for - what I am asking, is can I just stop it from doing the second activation AT ALL? Once I have allocated the licence I want to forget about it, not worry about someone else using it as they potentially can just now,

image.thumb.png.921614b4664958537951b80221955a07.png

I had bought the lifetime edition years ago.  Today, I got a "your premium trial ends in 5 days" message.

I was a little confused, as this should be a lifetime license.

So I clicked on the ACTIVATE LICENSE button, entered my license info, and it said that I have too many active computers, or something like that.

Read the forums, saw I did have three computers (where there should only be one), so I clicked on the Deactivate All link.  It said it was successful, and I had 1 license available for use.

So I went back into the Malwarebytes software on the computer, tried to activate it, but it still says "The usage level has exceeded the maximum installations allowed.  There is a problem with your license key and we are unable to activate your license."

How can I fix this?

This reply is for the original poster atiw.    @atiw

According to the MyAccount information, this license is only a single seat  ( One device) license.

This is a lifetime license.  It is counter ( against) the terms of license to have it on more than one machine.

You should do a Deactivate  ( using that link in blue)  on the machine you do not want to have this license.

I would think that this situation has been so for a longer period in the past,  The recent changes on the licensing system would have stopped that 2nd activation.

# 2.  Its not another outsider who did this.  According to what you wrote, the license is in use on your mom's pc  and on your latop.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

7 minutes ago, atiw said:

Yes, I think I understand how it's SUPPOSED to work - what I'm saying is that I have my licence in use (on my mother's PC) and I am able to register it on my laptop at home. It then shows up in my online account as having activated it on more machines than it's licensed for - what I am asking, is can I just stop it from doing the second activation AT ALL? Once I have allocated the licence I want to forget about it, not worry about someone else using it as they potentially can just now,

image.thumb.png.921614b4664958537951b80221955a07.png

That is odd; it's supposed to prevent the second activation from happening.  You're supposed to get the error message that the license is already in use.  You'll probably need to contact Support to find out why that happened and see if there is anything that can be done to prevent it in the future.  You may contact them by filling out the form on the bottom of this page.  In the meantime I'll be reporting this to the team for review; hopefully it's just a bug and they can get it fixed soon.

4 minutes ago, Elk Grove Jim said:

I had bought the lifetime edition years ago.  Today, I got a "your premium trial ends in 5 days" message.

I was a little confused, as this should be a lifetime license.

So I clicked on the ACTIVATE LICENSE button, entered my license info, and it said that I have too many active computers, or something like that.

Read the forums, saw I did have three computers (where there should only be one), so I clicked on the Deactivate All link.  It said it was successful, and I had 1 license available for use.

So I went back into the Malwarebytes software on the computer, tried to activate it, but it still says "The usage level has exceeded the maximum installations allowed.  There is a problem with your license key and we are unable to activate your license."

How can I fix this?

Please try waiting a few hours and then try to activate the license once more to see if that resolves the issue.  If it does not, then please contact Malwarebytes Support by filling out the form on the bottom of this page and they will assist you.

@Elk Grove Jim   To Elk Grove Jim.

One thing you need to do is to take a inventory of all your machines to see which machine is using the same lifetime license,

Malwarebytes >> Settings >> "My Account Detilas" tab.   Write down a inventory list on paper.  For all machines.

After this inventory, you need to Deactivate on the excess machine(s) beyond the one allowed.

One lifetime license is for use on just only one machine.

Hi. It definitely doesn't precede the recent changes... I did it today, twice! I deactivated my laptop using the link and was able to reactivate it again. And the first time I did it today there was only the 1 activation at the start of the process (ma's pc)... I was basically trying to test this new licence mechanism.

It was today! The licence is pretty old and I know I did have multiple activations against it in times gone by but I'm pretty sure it's been single device for quite a while now... Like year+, rather than weeks or months. 

I would suggest you run the Support tool report so QA can review, please.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

• tetonbob changed the title to Stop multiple regs
  • 4 weeks later...

i have exactly the same problem like atiw.

my account shows multiple family activations even that i want to have just one, why is this possible that system allows multiple activations even that product states clearly 1 activation allowed. system should not activate the same license again.

it is system problem which needs to be sorted nothing else with our computers.

@deejay2

Sorry to read of your situation.   Please understand that your case may or may not be the exact same as someone else's.

The licensing system has been changed to insure that license terms are observed.

We do not know what type of license you have or how many seats it is entitled to, nor how many machines you activated on.

That said, you can help yourself by doing research yourself & by using MyAccount portal and following tips.

Please go slow and steady on all that follows.

Then login onto MyAcount at Malwarebytes portal and do a Deactivate all on that site.

( a )

Assuming you bought licenses directly from Malwarebytes, you would have supplied a Email at the original purchase.

That same email is what you should use to login to Malwarebytes MyAccount.

https://my.malwarebytes.com/en/login

If you have misplaced or do not have the password for that login, use the blue "Forgot password" link.

Keep in mind that the Email has to be valid and active.

( B )

Do a Deactivate all for the License.  when on MyAccount page for your license, look for the chevron symbol  & click it until you see your History on MyAccount

Do a online Deactivate.

You may refer to this help article  --   Manage subscriptions in My Account  https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1032

[ C ]

Now do a license activation in the program Malwarebytes for Windows.

See   https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1142

Sincerely,