OSX/CrescentCore: Malwarebytes protects you from?

I can confirm that it does. @treed & I participated in discussions with the author that led up to the publication of that article.

But since then it's been observed to be used to distribute additional variants and types of malware, so it's reasonable to expect additional protection updates to guard against these, going forward.

It could also show up on additional web sites. The ones discovered so far have been sketchy and probably not places a savvy user would ever visit. But highly respected sites have been known to have been hacked in the past, so there's always that possibility.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 2.34.05 PM.png

Edited by alvarnell

11 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Does anyone know if Malwarebytes protects against OSX / CrescentCore, the malware mentioned in this article OSX/CrescentCore: Mac malware designed to evade antivirus of Intego on 28 June 2019?

Thanks

Greeting

That was certainly an interesting article.  I learned a lot regarding Flash.  So far I have the current version per Adobe.  I went to my down load file and saw the Flash Fake removal tool.  Still present since I got burned some time ago. I suppose it is OK to send the tool to trash but I kept it "just in case".   Something I have often wondered about is can one safely remove updates be they from Apple or Adobe or wherever from the download file once the update has been completed?  In other words, if everything is running fine, can the hard drive image with the update be sent to the trash?

And thanks for the link to the article.

If you must use still use Flash Player for some reason, then use System Preferences->Flash Player for each and every update. I allow auto updates, but at a minimum you should have it check and notify you of an update. If it fails for any reason, go only to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer to download the installer. Lots of users have given up on Flash Player and Adobe has announce it will abandon it.

Recent versions of macOS now offer to delete installers as soon as they complete there work, so that's certainly a clue as to whether to keep or not.

Unless you have tight limits on how much you can download, you can always grab the latest version if you later have problems and need to reinstall. Needing to revert to a previous version is rare these days, so there is little need to hang on to anything older than the last version that worked for you. And if you are running tight on free space on your drive, old installers in your Download folder should be first to go.

Edited by alvarnell

I have the latest version of Flash Player.  It just runs in the background .  I checked Safari Security and it is turned on.  I suppose I could turn it off and see if the sites I visit need it or not. I have read that something called HTML5 is replacing FP and is better .  Any thoughts on me down loading it?  And who makes it?  Thanks. 

It doesn’t actually run in the background, at least it should not. If you are seeing evidence of that, let us know. It just sits in your browser's plugins folder and automatically runs when you allow a web page to use it. You might want to change your setting to “ask” until you find a site that you need to always allow it.

HTML5 is just a standard. No developer makes it. It's built into all browsers, so nothing to download, if a website is coded to use it, then it will just happen. Problem has been web site owners have been slow to update their sites to provide it, either totally or as a choice.

I said it runs in the background because I have never seen it actually pop up or anything.  So I just figured it ran automatically.  I will take the advice and un-check it in Safari and see what happens. I subscribe to WAPO, NY Times, USN&WR, Christian Science Monitor, Townhall, CNS News, Christian Post, SRN, ARCA, BBC and a host of other sites as well as some better known news sites. So I will see how they work. Thanks for the help.