Licensing - yet another customer lost

Preparing for a trip last week, I noticed Malwarebytes on my home computer wanted me to upgrade, so I did.  I've bought the 3 license version and used it for years, with no issues and faithfully renewing it...in fact, we bought another 3-license version for my wife's small business home computers.  To my surprise, the update informed me that I was now starting a trial, as there were too many computers on it.  Nothing has changed, but I checked online and found a list of 3 computers with only one with a vague description...the other 2 had no info.

Now I've never given my license number to anyone, and the reseller is a reputable dealer with never any issues.  I do, however, switch machines around a lot, and keep MB on my home computer, my laptop, and my back shop computer.  Since I've been a hobbyist for years, I frequently change machines, but the older ones are generally disassembled or assigned to media center etc. where there is no need for MB.

I had no time (or desire) to deal with this; leaving on a trip and I don't need more silly nitpicky stuff to deal with.  While it's possible one of the media center computers may still have MB on it that I forgot about, the last thing I needed is to worry about that.  So now I suspect I'll get home and find out my main home machine is now on a "trial" version.  Do I want to waste my time policing my older computers etc. to see if I can find a forgotten installation?

MB could have easily verified that the IP address was the same; I can only use one computer at a time regardless of whether it was on every piece of equipment I have, which it is not, but what's with the license  mentality?

You guys might take a lesson from Android; I buy an app, and I can use it on whatever machines I own...in fact, I could add my family to most of them if I wanted to bother.  Just install it, no license butting in with "whoa, you have it on too many machines..."

I may try to track this down when I get home, in hopes of getting the remaining 6 months use that I paid for.  But when renewal time comes up, forget it.  Same goes for my wife's machines, which I provide tech support and repair for.  While I do understand that you don't want 600 people using a license key that someone handed out to all his friends, as I pointed out you could have easily seen that wasn't the case..perhaps it was a forgotten install, perhaps I hadn't paid enough attention to exact numbers of installations at what times, perhaps I tried to sneak in an additional machine...big deal...if you think I'm going to buy another license, forget it.  You just lost 2 regular customers.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
edited out potentially offensive language

Greetings,

All you need to do in order to resolve this issue is create and login to your account at My.Malwarebytes.com (instructions on doing so can be found in this support article) using, if possible, the same email address you used when you originally purchased your licenses (not a requirement, but it does make it easier during the initial setup to sync your licenses to your account automatically).  Once that's done and you've logged in, use the Deactivate all function described in this support article to reset your license key/device status so that any out of service/no longer in use devices will be removed from the active device list thus freeing up all 3 of your device activations for use on your current system(s).

If that failed to fully resolve the issue, then please contact Malwarebytes Support directly by filling out the form on the bottom of this page and they will assist you in getting things setup and your license/device activations reset.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to Licensing - yet another customer lost