bowbow

Error 5 prevents install/update

Hi!

I've seen similar posts and tried solving this on my own, but the solutions seem very specific and I can't get it to work.

It seems I managed to get infected with a bunch of malware. I tried installing malwarebytes, but installing it to the system drive got blocked with the infamous "Error 5". Installing it to a different drive worked, but starting the program didn't work, because "an administrator has blocked you from using this app".

I managed to get malwarebytes to work after I installed it with the chameleon tool. I also deleted the list of untrusted certificates that were blocking anti-virus software.
I had to run the chameleon tool normaly though, because booting to save mode with networking resulted in windows crashing (I don't know if that's relevant).

I could then run malwarebytes and remove a bunch of nasty stuff. I attached the log. 

Afterwards Maywarebytes didn't find any new threats, but asked me to update. The update process however stopped with Error 5 after it removed the old installation and now I am without Malwarebytes once again. I attached the logs that the support tool collected as well.

It would be great, if you could help me get Malwarebytes working again.

malwarebytes.txt mbst-grab-results.zip

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

You have what appears to be a few issues going on. Let's try to get them corrected

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Ron

Thank you but I need the other log please.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Ron

Oh sorry. It wasn't on the desktop though. It was in the folder with the FRST.exe

Is this the one you're looking for?

Fixlog.txt

Okay, please go ahead and run FRST again and make sure you place a check mark on the Additions.txt check box and attach back both new logs.

Hopefully that fix worked but the new logs will tell for sure.

Hey again,

the additions checkbox was checked, but it only produced the fixlog.txt. I couldn't find another file neither on the desktop, nor in the directory with frst.exe and the fixlog.txt.

Fixlog.txt

Great, that looks like it worked. Now let's try to fix your VSS - Volume Shadow Copy Service

Please download and run the following  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Diagnostic Tool from Acronis

Acronis VSS Doctor

Free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Download link on the bottom of the page.
Download - Acronis VSS Doctor

In many cases, it can correct the issues on its own. If not, then it will give details on what may be causing the issues. Please save the report in text format and post back that log on your next reply.

You can also try the tool from Macrium Reflect if the Acronis tool did not work.

Macrium Reflect Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Repair Tool

Once you've run the repair tool you need to restart your computer.
Then check your Event Logs to see if the error was corrected. You can post new logs from FRST which will also show the Event Log entries 

If you don't have System Restore enabled then please take this time to enable it. If possible choose 10% of your C drive to store Restore Points.

System Restore disabled or greyed out? Turn On System Restore in Windows 10

Thank you

This error is still there. Was this before you ran the fixes or after?

Error: (07/13/2019 03:24:22 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User:)
Description: The Windows Shadow Copy Service service did not start because of the following error:
The service did not respond in time to the start or control request.

Please follow the directions from the following topic to reset Chrome.

Then go ahead and try to install Malwarebytes now and update it and do a Threat Scan and post back that log.

Thank you

Ron

Hi!

I tired following the instructions, but part of that is running malwarebytes which I still can't because of the "Error 5 Access denied".
Even with sync cleared and deactivated.

Okay, please uninstall Malwarebytes from Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove

Then use our Malwarebytes Support Tool again to do a clean removal.

Then let me know if it will install now or if you're still getting the Access Denied message