andreamaff

NEED HELP DESPERATELY!! I've had this software now won't open

Hi, @andreamaff     :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Thanks for the report file.   Allow me a few minutes to dig thru it.  You do not need to be clicking the "Quote" button.

Sincerely,

I do not see Malwarebytes for Windows on this Windows 7 pc.   You can install it.

Please prepare by first closing any open work; saving any work in progress. Close them so you can have better view.

Ideally, if possible, do a Windows Restart. Then proceed.

the Malwarebytes installer is at this link

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first.

1.    Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.8.3.    to start the Malwarebytes for Windows setup.
2.    Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.

Watch all of the process. Have lots of patience.
Let me know how it goes. When setup has completed, my suggestion is always to do a Windows Restart.

Please let me know how this goes.

Sincerely.

I just noticed before your reply that Malwarebytes mysteriously disappeared--the icon on the desktop is gone.  Don't know how but it somehow got uninstalled (I have had this for over 4 years!!).  I will install again.  What is going on?  Is there a virus (which I suspect) on my computer that did this?

You have pushed the Quote button.   You do NOT need that.   Just when ready, put all your input on the white box

when all is there, then click on Submit Reply  button  ( at the bottom)

Most likely what happened was that the new 3.8 version was downloaded and was proceeding with the upgrade installation process but didn't complete for some reason which happens occasionally which resulted in the original version of Malwarebytes being removed but the new 3.8 version not being installed so your system was left without Malwarebytes on the system any more.  To correct the situation you simply need to reinstall the latest version as mentioned by Maurice above and you should be all set.  Once it is reinstalled, open it up and make sure everything checks out and that you are able to perform a scan to completion and you should be all set.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

added notes:

Situation is not one of a infection.   There was a installation run on July 7.   For some reason, the program was uninstalled.

Maybe what you had tried to use was the shortcut link on the Desktop ?

But in any case, a new install as outlined is all that is needed.