3.8.3 Web blocking - all browsers - Sophos also installed

Go to solution Solved by tetonbob,

While running the free version of MalwareBytes (MB), when prompted, I updated to latest version, which automatically installed the Premium Trial 3.8.3.2965

Shortly after this I had problems with Opera browser failing to load pages. The same happened with Chrome, Edge and IE.

No sites other than Bing would load in Edge.

I didn't link the issue with the update of MB as I had installed another program around the same time.

Steps taken (not in this order though)

• uninstalled that other program (a MIDI editor).
  • uninstalled Opera, as that was had only been installed the previous day.
  • uninstalled Chrome.
  • ran CCleaner, with registry cleaner up
  • tried LAN to router instead of WiFi.
  • I could ping the router and google, but couldn't load the router admin page or google website (or any other site)
  • manually set DNS servers
  • reset the network connections
  • Disabled windows firewall
  • Ran SFC Scannow

It was only when I turned off the Web Protection on MB that web pages could be accessed.

The issue is repeatable by turning web protection on/off in MB.

Installed on Windows 10 Pro

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

I believe there is a known issue with the web protection component in Sophos that causes the symptoms you describe.  I believe you should be able to either disable the web filtering component in Sophos and keep the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes enabled, or keep the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes disabled and keep the web filtering component in Sophos enabled to restore connectivity.

That said, there were also many issues with Web Protection that were resolved in the most recent release so I'd advise trying a clean install of Malwarebytes to see if that makes any difference at all before giving up on using Web Protection:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Additionally, if you do end up having to keep either web filtering component from either product disabled (or even if you don't, as it still would augment your protection either way) you might consider installing the Malwarebytes browser extension beta which is available for Chrome (and other Chromium based browsers such as SRWare Iron, Vivaldi and Microsoft's new Chromium based Edge browser; I'm not certain if it works with Opera or not, but it may since Opera is based on Chromium as well) and Mozilla Firefox.  You can learn more about it and find download links in the following topics:

Chrome
Firefox

• Staff
  • Solution

I believe there is a known issue with the web protection component in Sophos that causes the symptoms you describe.  I believe you should be able to either disable the web filtering component in Sophos and keep the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes enabled, or keep the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes disabled and keep the web filtering component in Sophos enabled to restore connectivity.

This is accurate. For now, the only solution to run the two products together, with Malwarebytes in Premium or Trial mode, is to choose one's Web Protection, or the other.

7 hours ago, tetonbob said:

This is accurate. For now, the only solution to run the two products together, with Malwarebytes in Premium or Trial mode, is to choose one's Web Protection, or the other.

Many thanks for the prompt response and all the information provided. Glad it's something so simple.

• tetonbob changed the title to 3.8.3 Web blocking - all browsers - Sophos also installed
  • AdvancedSetup locked this topic