RobertCope

Cannot Upgrade from Free Malwarebytes to Premium!

My wife has been running Malwarebytes Free Version for a few weeks.  Today, we decided to Upgrade to paid version.

Tried to buy with credit card with all required info.  Was denied !

Checked with my card company card and they said a $39.99 charge was made!  Told them to cancel this, as something

was wrong!..Never got an email, etc. with a License ID or Key Number.  What is going on here?   Everything was done correctly.

Guess she'll just have to stick with the FREE version.           7/10/19     7:10 p.m.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Sorry to heard of the issue.  Double check the Email account in Inbox, Spam, and junk forlders for the sales receipt confirmation, and the license Key.

From whom did you make the purchase ?

also very very important, see if you can look up the charge record at the CC company website.  Look for "name" listed there for the payment handler / sales company.

Does it show 2CO  ( 2Checkout) or else, does it show Cleverbridge?

There are some unforeseen occasions when the Email with the Key can be delayed in being sent out.

p.s.  By the way, I'm slightly confused by your mention of "denied".  Was the purchase payment denied at first ?

Second confusion, you say you tried to cancel the purchase ??

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thanks for your response, Maurice.     As info, This was for my wife's laptop.   I went into  her Malwarebytes free version and clicked on "Upgrade" or

something to that effect.   I put in the email address she likes to use, her name, MasterCard account #, expiration date, security code, etc . Click on "Order" or

something like that. I check her email (later others) to see if she had the License and Key.  Nothing there    In a few seconds a red box came up and said  could not process-- to

check with bank or credit card company to see what was the problem. I called MasterCard --  they said I had  a balance of $39.99 and the merchant was

"2COCOM*MALWAREBYT."

I told them  to cancel (deny) the charge, as I had not gotten a confirmation or information to get her the paid version. It looked like I was being charged and getting nothing!

So, that's what happened -- a waste of about an hour or so of my time and hers.  I've had this software on my desktop and have never run into anything like this before on any

online purchase.

7/11/19       3:15 p.m.

Hello Robert,

What you describe doing is - - a in-product license purchase.   The charge was for the license subscription.  It was handled by 2Checkout ( 2CO )  ( one of the companies Malwarebytes uses for processing of payments for subscriptions).

I can assure you that 2Checkout and Malwarebytes can get that squared away.  You would need to do that on a Support ticket.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/contactsupport/pages/home-support

Maurice.  Have written down the link above and I'll go to my wife's laptop, etc. to see what we can do.  If this doesn't work, I'll give up.  She'll stay

with  Free -- or I'll uninstall the Free version and start over again.  This is taking just too much of my time --- and the problem is on Malwarebytes side (company

they use to handle purchases).

7/11/19         7:29 p.m.

It is all resolvable.  The important thing is to not be too hasty or to get too wound up.  The installation on your spouse's pc would have a free Trial period of 2 weeks from the time of installation.  In Trial mode, it is protected with Premium protections.

You may also email 2Checkout   support@2checkout.com    relaying date of purchase, Full name, Email address, and the details from the transaction from your CC.

The purchase was only just today, so I would suggest to have some patience.

Sincerely,

Posted (edited)

Good morning,

The issue at hand is the getting of the License Key from 2Checkoout for the in-program purchase made on Wednesday.

There may be 2 or so potential issues involved.  One is that the system at 2Checkout is delayed.  Or, another potential source, is if the Email typed at the purchase has a typo. It takes just only one character missing or mis-typed that can cause a inability to accomplish a email delivery.

I have seen the latter happen a few times.

I would re-encourage you to contact Support  ( hopefully you have had a Support ticket request all along)  and to also contact 2Checkout.

They can search for the purchase and the License if you will provide them your (billing) full name, billing address, along with the last 4 digits of the credit card.

I hope you will take this advice to heart.   I assure you Malwarebytes and 2Checkout will do right by you.

I also meant to mention, 2Checkout is one of the payment processors used by Malwarebytes for new orders & payments.  They would be the one,  in your case, emailing out the License key.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added note

Hello @RobertCope

Please check your support ticket 2658974 as one of the Agents has replied and should be able to assist you directly with your issue. They may need your wife's email address if you used that and not your own to help track down the issue.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you

Ron

On 7/12/2019 at 1:15 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @RobertCope

Please check your support ticket 2658974 as one of the Agents has replied and should be able to assist you directly with your issue. They may need your wife's email address if you used that and not your own to help track down the issue.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you

Ron

Thank you, Ron, for writing.  Got an email from one of your guys.  Wanted me to " Reply Above the Line."  Easier said than done!  Could not do. No space to click on.

Today may wife got an email from you all. Looks like she could buy the Premium version and leave your free version.  But no, you (or2Checkout) wanted her to use a different credit card or PayPal or other card, despite what your email said.  And we do not want to Fax with all info and a photo ID.  If she can't use MasterCard, she said to just forget it.  I have spent way too much time on this for something that's pretty simple to do.  Ever since  I clicked on Upgrade for her on her free version, it's been nothing but trouble. Think you are should drop "2Checkout" and go back to Cleverbridge or Digital River or other one that can handle Upgrade purchases better.

Finally, it's a good thing I'm writing you instead of my wife., if you know what I mean.    Will give you her email address that was used, but not here.

Robert C.          7/14/19               2:50 p.m.

Just some more tips from someone trying to help.

Be sure that you provided to Support the last 4 digits of the charge card so that they can do a search for the transaction at 2Checout.

To post at the very top of the reply box on the ticket,  click one time with the mouse on the Reply box area, and then click CTRL + Home keys on keyboard.

Sincerely,

Maurice, I truly appreciate your help, believe me!    This whole escapade has been a nightmare, and I'm tired of my wife raising hell about a screw up on such a simple effort to purchase a piece of software with a credit card.  She no longer likes Malwarebytes  - but I'm trying my best to get it done for  I've had the product for years on my desktop computer and love it.

I have printed out your response above and will try again Monday afternoon.   Will let you know what happens.  And again, thanks for being there for someone to talk to and getting advice.

RobertCope             4:55 p.m. EST   7/14/19

Malwarebytes Premium has multiple layers of protection, including anti-ransomware.  I expect and hope her PC shows in Trial mode.

Much additional patience is needed on your part, plus as I mentioned before, do not get "over wound up" on this.  Malwarebytes will make good.

And their is reduced staff on the weekend.  Just make sure you provide the CC data on the ticket and have them do a new search on 2Checkout.

The date of transaction helps, the 4 last digits of the CC card really help,  and I would provide them your billing address.

The incident is regrettable.  And if your card was charged, they will get this squared away.   as I said, don't let this get you "stewed up".  Do not get "fixated".  While it is human, it wont make for progress.   Also know, only Support can address this.  We here on the forum are only volunteers and trying to advise.

Cheers,

Hi, Maurice, I'm back as promised and pleased to give you a good report from Malwarebytes.  Heard from their tech guy, "Jason", with a free License Key" for a one-year subscription.  Put it on her laptop and now she's in business -- out with the free version and on with the Premium!  I would have done the same for a customer trying for almost 3 hours trying to buy my software product.  So, I thank Malwarebytes!

Again, I truly appreciate you for being a faithful sounding board and advisor during this long process.  It meant a lot to me, and I am grateful.

Cordially,            Robert C.           3:30 p.m.      7/15/17

You are very welcome.  I am very pleased to have this news.

All best wishes to you.     😎

Thank you for updating us on this @RobertCope very glad to hear the issue is resolved now.

I will go ahead and close your topic, but if you do need anything else please let us know.

Take care and have a great week. Thank you for the extended help as well @Maurice Naggar greatly appreciated.

Ron