Adware.MailRu.BatBitRst keeps coming back

Hi, @scarter520     :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Maurice

NOTE:   

This Thread/topic is for member  Scarter520 only. who is the topic starter.

If you are not  Scarter520   , do NOT post here  

Hi Scarter520,

Thanks for the report file.  The website block notices are happening when Chrome is used.  Often enough, the Google Chrome sync feature gets in the way of cleanups.

Lets get that Sync option turned off.

need you to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[ 2 ]

while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check "Empty the cache"

[ 3 ]

Chrome has settings for Startup URL s   that include "mail.ru ".    That needs removal.

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) to the Downloads folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe  is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Kindly attach the Fixlog.txt with your next reply

Fixlist.txt

You did well.  The fix run has removed "mail.ru" from the Chrome startup.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner.

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner from here:
Click the blue Download button.   ( do not pay attention to the other text displayed on that screen).

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click AdwcleanerGUI  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

Thanks.  Keep me advised.   Let me know how things are after all this.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Hi,  Thanks for the log report.  A worthwhile run.  It removed a few adwares.

What I need to know from you:  Has the adware.mailru   gone away?

This will only take a few minutes:  Do a new Threat scan with Malwarebytes for Windows.

What is the result at that point?

If it detected some stuff, please provide a copy of that run report.

Otherwise, do let me know if you need something else.

Regards,

Hi,

I started a custom scan and found something in temp, quarantined Adware.DNSChanger found in C:/Temp, and restarted.  The file is sitting in quarantine, where I have the option to select files for restore or delete. I'll be permanently deleting the file shortly.

I ran a threat scan afterwards and it came up clear. Let me know if you want me to re-do any of the steps we went through above.

Sarah

7.14 quarantine tab after restart.jpg

7.14 threat scan log.txt

Hello Sarah,

This last scan is just fine.   No malware, no adware, no P U P.

Your pc runs on Windows 8.1.   Right ?   You should be able to run a full scan with the Microsoft Windows Defender.

Windows Defender is built in with Windows 8.1   ( also in Windows 10 too).

1. Select Start , and then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Security  > Virus & threat protection .
  2. On the Virus & threat protection screen, do one of the following:
    • In an up-to-date version of Windows 10: Under Current threats, select Scan options.
    • In previous versions of Windows: Under Threat history, select Run a new advanced scan.
  3. Select Windows Defender Offline scan, and then select Scan now.

image.png.e560db6746096f11dfcb3df31a71ef5b.png

You'll be prompted that you're about to be signed out of Windows. After you are, your PC should restart. Windows Defender Offline will load and perform a quick scan of your PC in the recovery environment. When the scan has finished , your PC will automatically restart to Windows.

To see the Windows Defender Offline scan results:

1. Select Start , and then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Security  > Virus & threat protection .
  2. On the Virus & threat protection screen, do one of the following:
    • In an up-to-date version of Windows 10: Under Current threats, select Scan options, and then select Threat history.
    • In previous versions of Windows: Select Threat history.

NOTE:  IF your system does not show "Windows Defender Offline" option, see this Microsoft article to download it from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Keep me advised.

Sincerely,

Maurice

I don't have any options for Windows Defender Offline scan.  My tabs are Home, Updated, History, and Settings. I'm doing a full scan but that's going to take quite a while. I'm a little over 20 mins in and about 1/3 done. Should I be doing a custom scan of just the C drive? 

Defender Options.jpg

Sorry about that.  You can download the Windows Defender OFFline from Microsoft.  Look at te bottom section of the article at Microsoft.

IF your system does not show "Windows Defender Offline" option, see this Microsoft article to download it from Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Hi,  Lets give this a try.

Do Option One in the following article   https://www.eightforums.com/threads/windows-to-go-startup-options-boot-usb.53305/
and
Go to & do step 5 , under the Option TWO of this article 

Then do a Windows Restart with the USB in place.

Hoping this will result in a direct way to boot from the USB

Will try this and get back to you. Enabled USB startup options. Restarted and got a black screen with a blinking cursor, like on command prompt. Let it sit there for a while and nothing happened.

I shut down my laptop with the power button and removed the USB and started up normally.

OK.   You can put that USB aside.   Lets do a entirely different scan.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Click on the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

added notes about the ESET scan.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Hi,

Thanks for the Eset scan log.   That is a good run & cleanup.   Is there anything else that you need at this point ?

You may delete the tools I had you download.

Safer practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Check in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com 
Windows Update and install any Important Updates offered.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Regaards,

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks