Malwarebytes license issue

I have used MB for perhaps a decade or more on multiple devices. Last week. after an update, it told me my lifetime license had exceeded allowed devices. When I attempted to deactivate on a different device, it tells me that my email address is no longer valid - so I can't deactivate on a different device. When I called support, although they were very cordial, I was informed that I don't exist. They ask me for proof of purchase. Who has proof of purchase for something they bought 10 years ago ?

When I pointed out that I had a support issue in 2017 and it was resolved using what I thought was my valid email address I was told - oh but that is in our support database, not our license database. That sounds like a poorly thought out design. Two customer databases ?

I guess at this point I will just try to make Norton perform its tasks as well as MB's as well in the future.

p.s.  Malwarebytes PRO Lifetime license is for one Windows machine.  One license = one machine.

You mentioned you have multiple devices.  Take an inventory and see which machines are using the same license.

Start Malwarebytes.  Click Settings button.  Click "Account Details" tab.

Thank you for your reply Maurice.

When I had the MB support person on the phone I asked them to try all the email addresses I can recall from over the years and they said they did not recognize any of them. btw - to get support I googled for a support number and it picked up almost instantly - but that would have been early in the morning and he sounded perhaps Irish. 

To be honest - and my memory is a little hazy on this - but I believe the original product I purchased supported more than one device BUT it was not 'PRO'. Somewhere over the years it was MB that changed my license - without my asking. I attributed it to their wanting to simplify things (for themselves). Guess that was a different company. 

I can tell you frankly and honestly, that Lifetime licenses are one license for one computer, unless you specifically bought multiple licenses, one for each device.

It is quite important you recall which company you bought the license from.

Do you have the license Keys,  ID  and Key ?   Yes or no is what I am asking.   Do not relay the actual license keys on this open forum !

Do you recall how you paid for the purchase?

Unless you bought at a retail store, you should have a purchase confirmation Email.

If you made the purchase thru Cleverbrdge, they can look up using your original purchase billing address & with your full name.

If you bought from Cleverbridge, it would help to have the Cleverbridge Reference Number.

Cleverbridge email ( web form) contact page

Cleverbridge telephone support  ( during business hours)

I'm an old man. I can pretty much remember where I purchased my cars from over the years - but software ? Even Amazon/Ebay only go back a handful of years for purchase history. Heck - I think you are only supposed to hold on to something like 3 years of tax returns for the IRS !!

Is it possible that I purchased a lifetime license AND MB did not enforce this one device limit ? I could almost live with that. MB needs to bend a little. Not every one of their customers is a crook !  I can tell you this - I do not recall ever receiving anything physical from MB. Perhaps THEIR database was hacked and they have their current attitude due to their own inadequacies ??

Yes I have a license key - but that is all I have at this point - and who knows - perhaps I was given this key from some MB employee over the years as a solution to a problem... 

Please stick with the Support ticket.  By the way, Ebay sales are not supported.   Ebay sales on any Malwarebytes  are infamous for being bogus.

I will repeat just one more time, Lifetime licenses always were for one license, one device only.  Never intended to use the same license ( lifetime) on more than 1 machine.

This next image is a sample sales receipt for two (2) lifetime licenses thru Cleverbridge.   Note the quantity is 2  and is two licenses.  Note the terms 1 license per PC.

198724128_SampleCleverbridgereceiptLifetime.PNG.f55d2be1d1daaef681fd7e4c761fd49c.PNG

If you need to Deactivate the license on a machine, here is how.

Start Malwarebytes.  Click Settings.  Click "Account Details"  click the button "Deactivate License" button.

Thanks again Maurice.

This morning I have uninstalled MalwareBytes from my laptop. It is amazing how short that process was - it felt like 2 or 3 seconds ! (pretty light weight I guess).

For the moment I have Windows Defender turned on. I'll read up on it some and if need be I'll install bitdefender.

No - my original issue was two-fold. a)  MWB did not like my license but they threw up a message box that didn't say that but rather that I had exceeded the number of devices for my license AND then b) MWB could not find my email address (or any email addresses I have used over the years) and therefore said I was never a registered user. Therefore - I could no longer 'deactivate' a device (which I have been able to do in the past).

At that point - MWB was of little use to me - as I will never be able to produce proof of purchase. I checked today - apparently even Paypal will only go back 12 months or so...

You describe getting a message about excess activations on a license.

How many machines have Malwarebytes installed ?  More than one ?

Can you look at each, then take a inventory of what machine (s) are using which license ?

Start Malwarebytes.   Click Settings.  Click "Account Details" tab.   Keep a inventory list.   But dont mention the license key(s) on this public forum.

The inquiry is how many devices are using one same license.

One lifetime license is valid for just one Windows pc.

I'm afraid you are not hearing me. I just deleted malware bytes from all my machines. If I try to activate my license I am told the possible installations for my license have been exceeded. It then offers me the option to deactivate on another device - BUT - when I go to log in it tells me I can not be found.

4 minutes ago, lhpdiver said:

truth is I have no idea where I purchased it many years ago.

I think they can search the license # and IF It exists in the system, They Can fix it. If It does not exist, It was probably created fraudulently and there is no recourse with out a receipt. There were and still are fake keys being sold all the time. (not saying yours is).

As a reseller myself, Back then I bought several licenses at a time for resale. Malwarebytes does not have any of their emails on file because there all under my name/email. But when searched, The key is recognized and can be assigned to a new email address when I request it.