Did my Lifetime License change

Hi Blanda,

Curious as to where that was purchased.   and if you have a copy of the purchase that shows 3 licenses are paid for.

The PRO-lifetime license was always one license for one Windows machine.   That was the best $25 anyone paid ever for a lifetime one-time pay for a single seat.

Attached is a sample sale on 2 lifetime licenses.   Note the statement on the left Lifetime license 1 PC

Note on the right the quantity is for 2 licenses.   on this example, 2 licenses entitle the purchaser to activate premium protections on 2 Windows machines.

1409501199_SampleCleverbridgereceiptLifetime.PNG.960385679a4435eac5c8855da4e66324.PNG

I had the same problem.  Got a deal through Cleverbridge for a lifetime license for 3 pcs for $24.95 Jan 2013.  Was able to download and run on 3 computers using the same ID and Key to install.  During the last week when I did an update I ended up with 2 computers with the trial and 1 with the Premium with lifetime license.  The invoice did not state 3 pcs or Lifetime license but obviously I was able to have it on 3 computer for 6 years.  I have a ticket into support. 

Yes, that's correct.  In the past before Malwarebytes deployed their new enhanced license management system they allowed for a certain number of additional installs for instances where a user might have reformatted their system and reinstalled Windows, requiring them to be able to reactivate the software afterwards or for cases where their hard drive might have failed and they needed to reactivate the software on their new drive.  They did this to avoid inconveniencing users since they had no way of knowing if each activation for each license was still active or not and no easy way to reset the number of available activations to allow the user to reactivate the product using their license key so they had this 'grace' of 2 additional activations built in, that way users wouldn't be stuck waiting on contacting Support to get their keys reset so that they could continue using them.  Now, however since Malwarebytes has implemented the new My.Malwarebytes.com license management portal, users have a way to manage and deactivate their own license keys/devices so they don't have to contact Support every time they need to reinstall/reactivate the product so Malwarebytes is finally able to properly enforce the 1 device per key licensing.

For anyone who hasn't done so already, I'd highly recommend creating an account at My.Malwarebytes.com, if possible using the same email address you used when you originally purchased your license as it makes importing your license key into your account much easier.  Instructions on doing so can be found in this support article and if you aren't able to use the same email address because you no longer have access to it or because it no longer exists then you can try adding the license key manually by following the instructions in this support article.

Once that's done, assuming you see your lifetime license key there you can then deactivate/reset your license key/available device(s) manually or using the Deactivate all function as shown in this support article.

If you are unable to see or add your license key to your account then you should contact Malwarebytes Support by filling out the form on the bottom of this page and they will assist you.  They will be able to manually add your license key to your account so that you may then manage and deactivate it yourself without having to contact Support every time, making the process much faster and easier to manage.

• Root Admin

If you had a license for 3 computers it would have said you purchased a quantity of 3 and they would have sent you 3 different licenses. We have never sold lifetime licenses that covered more than 1 PC per license. Every lifetime license only covered 1 PC.

Example invoice of a normal purchase. If you had purchased 3 the QTY column would say 3 and the price would be closer to $74.85 but in some cases there was a 10% discount if you purchased multiple licenses at the same time.

image.png

If you contact our Support they will be able to assist you further.

Thank you

Ron

From Paypers:

"Eighteen months prior to the launch of the 2.0 version of its anti-malware software, Malwarebytes began developing two key things: 1) a new product with increased value for subscribers and, in close cooperation with cleverbridge, 2) a successful subscription model strategy. The company decided to rename the acclaimed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and make it available from its online store for an annual subscription of USD 24.95. Malwarebytes built in added value by extending the subscription’s coverage for up to three PCs. They also offered free upgrades to users with existing lifetime licenses for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO."

• Root Admin

Yes, we did. For SUBSCRIPTIONS not for the Lifetime license. At the time you could only but 1 license that was good for 1 PC. When we switched to the yearly subscription model you could buy a single license that covered up to 3 computers. That was a yearly subscription and had nothing to do with modifying the license for the lifetime one.

That same model is available to purchase today under subscription licensing.

12 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, we did. For SUBSCRIPTIONS not for the Lifetime license. At the time you could only but 1 license that was good for 1 PC. When we switched to the yearly subscription model you could buy a single license that covered up to 3 computers. That was a yearly subscription and had nothing to do with modifying the license for the lifetime one.

That same model is available to purchase today under subscription licensing. 

I can not understand that. You need 5 years to change that?
And it was tacitly changed by the update. This is not a good way.
To do so is not confidence-inspiring. 

That's why I'm going to turn my back on Malwarebytes.

kind regards

I have 2 lifetime licenses bought long time ago from cleverbridge, it clearly says 1 Device only for one license.

Yes before it was easy that a key did allow for 3 installs with the same license. MWB did now recently remove this feature because scammers sold a lifetime key 3 times. It is because of this abuse that now many customers have problems mostly.

Hello Dexter B.

The PRO Lifetime license is a single seat license.  It is for one Windows machine.  If you have more than one device to protect, you need to be using a different license for that.

Premium subscription licenses can be purchased for one or for more seats.  yes, like Malwarebytes Premium for Home .

8 hours ago, Blanda said:

I can not understand that. You need 5 years to change that?
And it was tacitly changed by the update. This is not a good way.
To do so is not confidence-inspiring. 

That's why I'm going to turn my back on Malwarebytes.

kind regards

You were using the software illegally all these years and now you are upset that Malwarebytes is finally enforcing what you paid for.... I was in the same circumstance where I used it on more than just the one (back when a licensing website did not exist where I could activated/deactivate) and noticed the change and just decided to move on and only keep the premium on the important machines. You should have purchased more licenses to cover the ones you needed back then. Now you only have a subscription route or competitor. So far I have found less and less need of Malwarebytes since Windows started forcing windows 10 builds on people (already a more secure OS than 7 ever was) and Windows Defender keeps getting better and better with cloud/AI.

Oh and I wish Malwarebytes would offer an option to upgrade our lifetime single machine licenses and add on for additional machines a small one time amount. Good way for them to get a little extra money from the lifetime people because we know those people will never buy a subscription (hence why they had the lifetime).