CB114

ANSWERED Lifetime licence issue - CB114

Same issue on two laptops as mentioned in this blog. When upgraded to latest Malwarebytes version, it did not accept the license. Tried all fixes mentioned in post and still can not activate the license. Now when I log into my account, it shows my lifetime three device license as expired.

Did download trial, however it does not provide full protection for 14 days. Real time protection is disabled. Any ideas how to get a full functioning trial?  I have a feeling support will be backed up in responding to tickets.

Thank you.

Greetings,

You may try a clean install to see if that allows you to use the trial:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

If it works you should have the trial active for 14 days automatically.  Unfortunately if it doesn't work then I don't believe there is any other way to enable the trial.

32 minutes ago, CB114 said:

.... Now when I log into my account, it shows my lifetime three device license as expired.

@CB114   Just to be clear, there are no "PRO lifetime" licenses for 3 devices.   Not in actuality.  Not legally per the original terms of the Lifetime license sale.

1 lifetime license = use on just one Windows machine.

Beyond what my colleague has suggested, take a visual inventory into each of your Malwarebytes installations.   See how many use the very same license and what each one displays. 

Start Malwarebytes >> Settings >> click "Account Details " tab

what does it say for Edition ?     & what does it says for Status ?

It was so many years ago that I purchased the licenses, however it was purchased from a reputable vendor NewEgg.  It was registered with Malwarebytes and now shows expired  (see attached).

I am now running a trial license, so it shows no machines per the path you suggested.  I did try the clean tool, but the free license is now limited, it does not do real time scans.  I will wait on the Malwarebytes support team to respond to my ticket.  I hate running my laptops without the extra protection :).

Thank you for the quick response.

2_MWB.pdf

Posted (edited)

@CB114

Newegg is indeed a legitimate vendor.  My point is, a lifetime license would be for use on just one Windows.  Otherwise, if it is a subscription, it depends on how many seats the subscription is for.

@Butch73

How many machines have used the same license?

Edited by Maurice Naggar

4 minutes ago, CB114 said:

I did try the clean tool, but the free license is now limited, it does not do real time scans.  I will wait on the Malwarebytes support team to respond to my ticket.  I hate running my laptops without the extra protection :).

There are a few things you can do to augment your protection while you wait.  First, if you use Chrome (or any other Chromium based browser such as SRWare Iron, Vivaldi or Microsoft's new Chromium based version of Edge) or Mozilla Firefox then you may install the Malwarebytes browser extension beta.  It blocks bad sites similar to the Web Protection in Malwarebytes and has several additional features such as ad blocking, tracker blocking (for privacy), clickbait blocking as well as new behavior based blocking for certain categories of malicious sites such as tech support scams and phishing sites among others.  You can find out more and download it at the following links:

Chrome
Firefox

Additionally, you may install the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Beta and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta to get Exploit Protection and Ransomware Protection.  There will still be large gaps from the missing primary Malware Protection, heuristics, AI/Machine Learning, and cloud based protection components that Malwarebytes Premium includes, but at least you won't be completely unprotected while you wait.  You can get the Anti-Exploit beta here and the Anti-Ransomware beta here.

Beyond that you should also enable Windows Defender if using Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 or install Microsoft Security Essentials if running Windows 7, that way you'll have at least basic malware protection/virus protection while you wait.  That along with the other tools I recommended should be adequate for the time being as long as you are extremely cautious and limit your browsing and download habits to known safe sites and avoid opening any email attachments that might be malicious.  Obviously it's still no guarantee against infection, but at least it should help a lot until you get Malwarebytes Premium up and running again.

Thanks all for your excellent support.  Did install the beta for Chrome and activated Windows security essentials.  So I think I am good for now, till I hear back from my ticket.

I actually found my NewEgg receipt and it said my license was for three seats. 

Have a great July 4th weekend.

2 hours ago, CB114 said:

I actually found my NewEgg receipt and it said my license was for three seats.

I would love to see the outcome of your support case. Newegg like most online retailers also have 3rd party sellers (not all are legit sellers). Worried that what you purchased was misrepresented to be a 3 pc license unless you received 3 separate keys.

I checked into my license further and it was a yearly not a lifetime license 👶.  I paid for 3 new licenses and they went in just fine. Malwarebytes is excellent software that I have been using for years. Between it and Webroot, I feel my PCs have appropriate protection for browsing the web safely.  I appreciate everyone's help.

1 minute ago, CB114 said:

I checked into my license further and it was a yearly not a lifetime license

Thanks for the reply/confirmation on yours being a subscription.