Scan Complete report continues to come up

New user of Malwarebytes. I ran a scan to get rid of a bunch of PUP programs which identified 345 of them. I quarantined and then deleted them. Every time I start my computer, I get the same report Scan Complete popping up. After a delete, is that not the end of it? Why does the report keep coming back?

Hi Sheane.    :welcome:

The screen you describe is a summary - just a summary only - meant to just let you know.

Just look on the right top side of that small window, and click the Close  so that the display goes away.

Then you will see the standard display.

Regards,

Thank you Maurice. Yes, I could make the message box disappear by simply clicking on the X, but I thought it shouldn't reappear each time I started my computer. I have since done a Restart, and so far the message has not popped up. Would you believe I spoke too soon?? It just popped up and is both annoying and puzzling. It says "Scan Complete. One or more potential threats were detected. View the scan results and take action now". I have viewed the scan results multiple times, repeatedly quarantined and then deleted the same threats,  and still this message comes up as if I haven't done anything with the Scan Results. It would seem reasonable that once I have taken action that the prompt message would stop appearing. As it is, it seems that there is something else I should be doing, but I don't know what. 

Hi,

Have you checked in the program, as to how often the scheduled scan task is set to run ?

further, if there are the same set of re-ocuring tagged items, we need to take a deeper look.   Lets start out with a report.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

That is ok.   We all had to take baby steps when doing something new.

Did you run the Support tool?   if yes, and it completed, there would be a ZIP file with the name mbst-grab-results.zip  saved on your Desktop

Can you look on the Desktop for it ?

Then can you attach that file with your next reply.

Its great to have your grand daughter lend you a hand.  Brava.

Thanks for sending the Support zip file.  The scheduled scan is set for one run per day  ( when pc is up & on).   That is normal.

There is a lot of P U P  items ( potentially unwanted types) on Chrome browser.

[ 1 ]

I would like for you to use the Chrome browser &  go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[ 2 ]

I would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner.

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner from here:
Click the blue Download button.   ( do not pay attention to the other text displayed on that screen).

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click AdwcleanerGUI  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

4 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Its great to have your grand daughter lend you a hand.  Brava.

Thanks for sending the Support zip file.  The scheduled scan is set for one run per day  ( when pc is up & on).   That is normal.

There is a lot of P U P  items ( potentially unwanted types) on Chrome browser.

[ 1 ]

I would like for you to use the Chrome browser &  go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[ 2 ]

I would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner.

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner from here:
Click the blue Download button.   ( do not pay attention to the other text displayed on that screen).

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click AdwcleanerGUI  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thanks Maurice. It might be a couple of days before I get to it. Garth

I am happy to have the good news.  Glad to have helped you.

You my delete the support tool I had you download.

Safer practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Check in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com 
Windows Update and install any Important Updates offered.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

I wish you all the best.

Maurice

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks