Applying Computer Settings... SLOW

OLEO

Hey guys and gals,

As the title says, at startup the applying computer settings page takes forever. There is a lot of disk activity and I'm just wondering what is going on, and if it really needs to be. It can take around 5 minutes sometimes.

I'm pretty sure if I have the wireless turned off and no ethernet it doesnt happen. I figured it was something with the network. So I have tried a few things...

- I had WinMediaPlayer sharing a ton of movies with my xbox. I turned off all the file sharing in MediaPlayer (as far as I know)

- I used to be on a work domain and I had a lot of old mapped network drives. I have been Workgroup for a while now, but I still had some old mapped drives around. I removed all of those.

- I checked my Event Viewer and found a few things. There are two services that fail to start and when I search them on google and the only results are my logs posted from an early problem. They are The awtfm service, and the bgjcb service. The event logs says:

The bgjcb service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

System:

Dell Latitude D830

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

T7300 @ 2GHz

3.5 GB of RAM

XP Pro

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi OLEO! you just came out of the HJK forum 2 weeks ago. Is this the same pc? Go to Start, All Programs, Administrative Tools, Component Services, Click on Services (local) -should be at the bottom on the left pane. Go to max view. Just see if the two services are in there? If they are what are they set to? Post back and let us know please..regards..

EDIT: you may want to dump all the cookies, Temporary Internet Files, and clean out the History Folder please!.. If you ever ran Ccleaner run that also with the default settings. Ccleaner can be found here: http://www.piriform.com/

Thanks for the reply yardbird,

- It is the same PC that I was having issues with a couple weeks ago

- No, Neither of the mystery services are in services.msc. And I have not see them in the task manager before either.

Thanks for pointing me to CCleaner. I ran the default scan and it picked up many things. I removed them all.

I also ran the registry scan. It too picked up a lot of software that I have since removed, etc. Fixed all of them up. Again, neither of the services were there.

After the clean, I did a full shutdown and restart. Same slow start up.

The event log shows that 3 errors happen over a 2 minutes stand. The first two are AWTFM and BGJCB failing to start. The third is OracleDBConsoleorcl service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).

The slowness doesnt seem to be something hanging though. There is disk activity the whole time...

Thanks for any and all help.

After consulting with one of the experts here, its best that you go back into the HiJackForum again! You may have traces left ... but that not for me to expand on... You also need to pay close attn. to the instructions of the helper please. Don't leave the HJK forum until you & the Helper are ok, that you are clean/fixed up.... I'll post the instructions again... also let them know you were in there at the end of last month. good luck!

follow these instructions & post it in the HiJackLog Forum please

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.