WesAlaska

Activation issue after upgrade to 3.8.3

After the upgrade this morning my malwarebytes also fails to activate.  I have gone into my account to get my license key to re-activate it and to my surprise, My life time premium key for up to 3 devices has turned into a key for 1 device and it says I'm already using it on too many devices and demanding I turn off licenses on my other devices to bring it back down to 1.

I have submitted a trouble ticket but thought I'd post that info here as well in case others were running into this same issue . 

Just to let you know, the PRO Lifetime licenses were always & are one license for one Windows pc.  They were one-time-only pay for just One Windows system.

They have never been meant nor intended nor legally for more than one Windows system.

The licensing system has been modified to insure original terms of licensing are observed.

I think people got a mistaken impression in 2014 or so when yearly subscription licenses were first offered, for one subscription license for 3 devices.

In any event, Support can check on your license & see what the license is entitled to.

Sincerely,

Well my license specifically used to say 3 devices. What other devices would I put it on other than my windows system (especially back then )   When it seems to me the mobile version of the app (at least last time I tried it) was a different license .

29 minutes ago, WesAlaska said:

Well my license specifically used to say 3 devices

The lifetime one are ONLY good for one computer at a time. The was NEVER a multi license key. You either were misled or misunderstood the purchase.

IT NEVER was a 3 device key, there was a flaw in the licensing system. 1 License is meaning 1 System. MWB 3.8.3 now just follow this rule harder.

I disagree. I bought mine in 2012 and always had three copies available. It's one of the reasons I decided to go with Malwarebytes.

I'm pretty much done with this company because of this craptastic revelation.

In addition, who the hell came up with the password requirements? This alone makes me very skeptical of the IT knowledge they possess here.

https://www.xkcd.com/936/

I agree with you scy, I bought my Lifetime License in 2014 from Cleverbridge and always had three copies available. Only used 2 for years and NOW they (exile360 & Maurice Naggar) say that purchase was for 1 computer only. (SEE Attachment) I've done numerous upgrades without problems for years until this one to 3.8. I Tried ALL the things they said and keep running around in circles. To me it's MBAM trying to increase revenues. VERY Disappointed with a company I've trusted for years.

1125146100_Neverexpires2.jpg.950d503e55c772fc3b8cea27e0f5da0f.jpg

Well you can disagree as much as you want, it will not change anything at all. I have some grandfathered lifetime license in use, and i do recall that you could use it on 3 systems even i bought it for one computer.  But i never did use it for more then one PC, yes it was easier this way if your PC all the sudden did not work anymore and had to reinstall windows.

Malwarebytes had to do this because scammers sold a lifetime key for one PC, three times!  All other antiviral products now on the market follow the same rule as Malwarebytes!! 1 License=1 Computer, or you can pay more for a 3 or 5 device key. But the lifetime keys where always for only one PC. The new 3.8.3 version now automatically kicks everyone that is using the same key on more systems, out. You can then in my-account reset your key and use it again anywhere, but on one Computer only. It does not allow more systems any longer. If you want to use it on another PC anyway, you have to deactivate it first, then you can use the key on another one.

So even if someone can read or steal your license, he can not use this or even take it away from you!! Because it is bonded tight to your account, and you stay in-control of it.

In addition the password requirements are in fact a good deal to protect people from themselves with idiotic passwords as 12345 or azerty, etc...And then come complain that someone had stolen their account...More and more websites take this rule over, and it forces you to use a more SECURE password.

As long you use the same email as you had bought the lifetime key then long ago, it still works as before! Just register it in my-account, and you are good to go.

Capture.JPG

I’ll belatedly chime in here, as I wholly concur with the two posters above who maintained that they had in hand a three-device *lifetime* license, which was altered after upgrade to 3.8.x.xxxx  to a *one-license/one device* status.  My experience exactly, and I don’t wish to relitigate this topic with MWB staff, as enough “ink” has been spent on this topic on another thread, but facts are facts, and I’ll leave it at that.

For the people having this issue, did you have three separate ID/KEY combinations or was the same ID/KEY used on three different machines?

Originally had same Key/ID for two Windows devices, as had no need for a third.  Second device added several years ago, and was maintained until the 3.8.x.xxxx upgrade.  I have to believe that there must be many other MBAM subscribers who are having this problem vis-à-vis “three-device lifetime license” and reversion to one-device/one-license after upgrade.  I have no objection to the policy that Malwarebytes management is enacting, but in all fairness there should have been way better communications to long-time “lifetime” license holders who had multiple-device coverage that this new policy is in effect, and to not try to put the onus on customers by denying that there ever was such a entity as “three-device/one license lifetime subscription”.  That is not the way to win hearts and minds!  Enough people have already appeared on this Forum with the same story as mine, and no doubt others will surface as well while subscribers work their way through the 3.8.x.xxxx upgrade.

If in the past anyone was using the same PRO (Lifetime)  license on more than one Windows machine, that was  a flaw.

The licensing system has been corrected to take care that the terms of the Lifetime licenses are observed.

1 PRO license = use on one Windows pc.   that is it.

The $25 for the PRO license will always be the best bargain ever.  Sorry and sad to see so many folks got mis-impressions about the original terms and the fact that the PRO license is a single seat license.

Let me add here that the Support agent I’ve been working with to sort out a variety of issues has provided me with a generous second-license offer for my other Windows device that lost Premium protection after upgrade.  I would suggest something similar be extended to other customers who lost multi-device coverage due to policy change, surely as a good-will gesture to reward/encourage product loyalty.

By any chance does anyone that thinks they had a lifetime license for 3 devices have any documentation of that?  Say the original purchase email or something?  Just curious.  

Edited by BillH99999

4 minutes ago, MrPNutts said:

In your example are there three ID/KEYs so each workstation has a unique ID/KEY, or just one ID/KEY used on three different machines?

For PRO Lifetime license, each has a unique ID / KEY   that is for use on just one Windows machine.

I just updated two lifetime licenses, they are trial, with no information about registered as such on the program. I wonder if this is confusing people and trying to fix it only confuses your servers.

@KenW

What was the previous MB version ?  Did you just upgrade to version 3.8.3 ?

Have you tried looking on My Account portal ?   Login into My Account.  For those 2 licenses you mention, do a Deactivate all  ( on My Acount).

Then go into the MB program and re-do the license activations.

Assuming you bought licenses directly from Malwarebytes, you would have supplied a Email at the original purchase.

That same email is what you should use to login to Malwarebytes MyAccount.

https://my.malwarebytes.com/en/login

If you have misplaced or do not have the password for that login, use the blue "Forgot password" link.

Keep in mind that the Email has to be valid and active.

3.7.1 think. I am going to wait to see what happens. When I last looked one of my licenses had one license that said I have too many activated, which is wrong. I believe the

last update had the correct registration after the trial period. I will wait.

I bought a Lifetime License through Cleverbridge on 17/10/2013 and still have the original email. It clearly states 1 License per PC.  

Lifetime Licence.png

This AM one laptop became registered overnight. So it works as expected.

23 hours ago, BillH99999 said:

By any chance does anyone that thinks they had a lifetime license for 3 devices have any documentation of that?  Say the original purchase email or something?  Just curious.  

If we did, they wouldn't be pulling this *****. This gambit is well thought out, well planned, well implemented, and well defended.

Unfortunately, I can no longer trust their integrity. This company is simply not trustworthy.

scy, so go away