Flawless upgrade from 3.8.1 👍

RE:  v3.8.1 context menu - old bug still a problem - S2D2

It is tiresome to have to toggle the setting for the Context Menu every time. 
If I can toggle the GUI setting to re-enable the functionality w/o rebooting, it can be done in the software w/o forcing a reboot.

2 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

RE:  v3.8.1 context menu - old bug still a problem - S2D2

It is tiresome to have to toggle the setting for the Context Menu every time. 
If I can toggle the GUI setting to re-enable the functionality w/o rebooting, it can be done in the software w/o forcing a reboot.

I forgot to look, Same here. I guess not so flawless.😞

I agree with Dave.  My test system's context menu MB3 entry was missing after the v3.8.2.2960 - 1.0.612 Beta2 update and was immediately corrected by toggling the Settings -> Applications -> Windows Context Menu Off & On again.

I applied the new beta version in situ.  My File Explorer has the Scan with Malwarebytes context  from before.   That is not an issue on this box.

Updated from 3.8.1 and had to re-enable the context menu item.

(Win10 1903 - Build 18362.207)

Posted (edited)

All issues I reported previously with the betas are still present in the RTM build.  For a reminder:

• Prompted for reboot at the end of installation/upgrade (from previous beta)
  • Forced uninstall of latest MBAE Beta even though it is newer than the version of AE including in MB 3.8 (known issue)
  • Unchecked option to create desktop shortcut but it created one anyway; I believe something is wrong with the Inno Setup installation script causing it to fail to honor this setting under advanced options during installation
  • Upon reboot Malwarebytes' main UI window launched for some reason (I suspect it has to do with registering the new version of the shell extension but I'm not positive); on subsequent reboots the issue does not repeat so it's just a one time thing that occurs after the first reboot during an upgrade

My shell extension/context menu has worked throughout and continues to work so I'm not seeing that issue though obviously others are.  I'm on Windows 7 x64 SP1, fully patched if that makes any difference.

Edited by exile360

1 hour ago, exile360 said:
  • Forced uninstall of latest MBAE Beta even though it is newer than the version of AE including in MB 3.8 (known issue)

I've not tested it myself, but from my understanding MBAE beta cannot/should not be installed alongside MBAM 3.x as it's not compatible.

I can follow up and verify though

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I've not tested it myself, but from my understanding MBAE beta cannot/should not be installed alongside MBAM 3.x as it's not compatible.

I can follow up and verify though

It can be as long as Exploit Protection in MB3 is disabled (which it was/is), but I understand why they have it removed by default just to avoid potential conflicts/issues.  You just don't want both active at once because you'll end up with two DLLs trying to inject into and monitor/shield protected processes.

Posted (edited)

Prompted for reboot at the end of installation/upgrade (from previous beta)

This is expected in some scenarios scenarios. The setup logs will help confirm exactly why the reboot was required in your case.

Forced uninstall of latest MBAE Beta even though it is newer than the version of AE including in MB 3.8 (known issue)

This is expected behaviour and whilst it is possible to run both programs in conjunction with one another (with Exploit Protection disabled in Malwarebytes), it's not a setup we officially support.

Unchecked option to create desktop shortcut but it created one anyway; I believe something is wrong with the Inno Setup installation script causing it to fail to honor this setting under advanced options during installation

We haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Do you have the setup logs from the installation that this occurred with?

Upon reboot Malwarebytes' main UI window launched for some reason [...]; on subsequent reboots the issue does not repeat so it's just a one time thing that occurs after the first reboot during an upgrade

This is also expected behaviour. After the reboot, the installer resumes silently in the background. As this installation is completely silent with the installer UI not being displayed, we opt to intentionally open the UI at the end of the installation to signify Malwarebytes is installed and running.

Edited by LiquidTension

Thanks. Are there any files named Setup Log {date} #{count}.txt (e.g. Setup Log 2019-06-28 #001.txt) in either %temp% or %systemroot%\temp? This is the log file we need.

The Malwarebytes Support Tool will grab all setup logs from both locations.

Thanks very much. We've reproduced the issue with the Desktop shortcut setting not being honoured and a defect has been filed.

The issue is specifically related to install scenarios that require a reboot (e.g. due to a Malwarebytes PFRO from a prior uninstallation) before file installation commences.