Rbuck117

Adobe ace.dll Backdoor.Remcos

Reaching out to see if others are having a similar issue. We just started getting heavy E-mail notifications on an apparent backdoor Trojan on ace.dll for Adobe Acrobat. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\ACE.dll) 

My first reaction is that this is a false positive due to how many machines we're getting notified are infected. Anyone else getting these notifications? 

I am getting this notice on my personal computer - looking at the Malwarebytes log. I know nothing, however, and am totally out of my depth

Just downloaded a PDF from one of my vendors -- a reliable site, done it before.  Malwarebytes quarantined the backdoor.remcos.  

I'm getting this also. FIle hash: 9f82c4dda5943c508761166ce4a2fe1a32d23e7c20aba263134efd4cac1f32b3

Looks like a false positive.

I contacted Adobe and was told to uninstall DC,  disable my anti-virus, and download a new copy of Acrobat DC.  Hesitant to try that.

I’m getting a flood of these alert emails.  Looks like Monday might be a busy day for me releasing these from quarantine. 

The file being picked up is a core.dll from Acrobat Reader which is required to open PDFs within their 'Protected Mode' sandbox (confined execution environment). 

1 minute ago, Riggsbit said:

The file being picked up is a core.dll from Acrobat Reader which is required to open PDFs within their 'Protected Mode' sandbox (confined execution environment). 

Would it be wise to take the file out of quarantine and try to use adobe or reinstall?  

Same here, added exception of c:\program files (x86)\adobe\acrobat reader dc\reader\ace.dll and restored file from quarantine, acrobat worked fine after that.  Seems to only be affecting Reader DC

Yep Same here guys. Just created a PDF to test and as previously mentioned  File ACE.dll in acrobat... Can't be right.

Yes, I've just had that issue too.  When I tell it to take it out of quarantine it does so but when I try to open a PDF again, the same thing happens!

got to add c:\program files (x86)\adobe\acrobat reader dc\reader\ace.dll as an exception until they correct the definitions.  otherwise it will just keep re-quarantining 

7 minutes ago, azvortex said:

Would it be wise to take the file out of quarantine and try to use adobe or reinstall?  

You can restore the file from quarantine, but MBAM will keep quarantining it at runtime until MBAM updates their AV definitions. Alternatively, if you still want to run Adobe Reader in the meantime you can add an exclusion rule (Exclusion Wizard) within MBAM under Settings. 

1 minute ago, Riggsbit said:

You can restore the file from quarantine, but MBAM will keep quarantining it at runtime until MBAM updates their AV definitions. Alternatively, if you still want to run Adobe Reader in the meantime you can add an exclusion rule (Exclusion Wizard) within MBAM under Settings. 

Thank you for the tip!

Hello everyone,
I just had this problem on two computers too.
I made an acrobat repair thinking that ACE.dll was corrupt. Malwarebytes quarantines the ACE.dll file each time.

This issue is tied to Acrobat Reader DC. I thought it was a PDF at first, but then I tried to open the application directly. Once I put the ACE.dll in exceptions, I was able to use Reader as per usual.