Trojan in boot registry?

While browsing in Chrome my computer was locked.  A pop up said call a number.

I shut down the computer and ran Malwarebytes.  Malwarebytes detected Pups that all got quarentined.

I'm getting pop up windows that are fishy (Get $100 from Amazon for taking a survey).  And a Yahoo! browser gets opened.

I'm thinking something is in the boot registry?  How do I get rid of it?  Malwarebytes is not detecting anything.

Thanks,

Doug

Similar to these ?

I have created a 1series of videos generated from these kinds of fraud sites for the purposes of recognition and education.  They are all  videos from real web sites.  ALL are FRAUDS.

All these have one thing in common and they have nothing to do with any software on your PC.  They are all nefarious web sites meant to defraud you of money. The objective is to, falsely, goad you to make the phone call and pay for some service contract for an incident that never happened.  From there they may continue to charge your Credit Card for other services, remote into your computer and do real damage and/or exfiltrate your personal data and they may use the information they obtain from you to commit additional frauds.

MalwareScam.wmv
MalwareScam-1.wmv
MalwareScam-2.wmv
MalwareScam-3.wmv
MalwareScam-4.wmv
MalwareScam-5.wmv
MalwareScam-6.wmv

I have also created a PDF ScreenShow of a myriad of FakeAlert screens - FakeAlert-Screens.pdf  /  Flash Version

Reference:            
US FBI PSA - Tech Support Fraud
US FTC Consumer Information -  Tech Support Scams
US FTC - Tech Support Operators Agree to Settle Charges by FTC and the State of Ohio
US FTC - FTC and Federal, State and International Partners Announce Major Crackdown on Tech Support Scams
Malwarebytes' Blog - Search on - "tech support scams"
Malwarebytes' Blog - "Tech support scams: help and resource page"

1.  Also located at "My Online Security" - Some videos of typical tech support scams

The point there is that the FakeAlert indicating to call a number and the $100 from Amazon survey are examples of malicious advertisements ( aka; malvertisements ) that exist as web sites and do not stem form software on your PC.

Malwarebytes is not detecting anything more than Potentially Unwanted Programs ( PUPs ) because malware is not the cause.  As such it is not about what software is on your PC but about what web sites you visit and one's browsing habits.   There are sites that don't care who they do business with when it comes to advertisement revenue.  Or when one marketing company outsources to another.  Then the malvertisement may be rotated in or randomly displayed.  As I have explained in other discussions I have seen fake Mozilla Firefox malvertisements emanating from the Weather Channel web site.

Malwarebytes is Beta testing Browser Extension software to help block the actions of FakeAlerts and possibly the scam sites that offer-up so-called surveys.

Edited by David H. Lipman