Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Didn't detect malware anymore - tried to remove, stuck in a restart loo

I'm happy to start the process all over again if it means I can get some peace of mind. Here's how it went:

A few days ago, I started getting aggressive popups that MWB wasn't scanning for malware, the protection wasn't "turned on". I'd try to do it manually, but to no avail. The slider just wouldn't move.

Tried downloading the mbclean tool, and it did try to start installing a new MWB - but also gave me the info that it couldn't run both at once.

Since then? I'm in a restart loop. I've downloaded a new one from the main page to try to install on my Windows 7 computer, but I have no idea what to do next to get this working. This is the workstation I'm used to, and I'd love to keep it protected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi,

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
Your pc has the report tool.  The same Support tool.

Open your Downloads folder
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi,

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
Your pc has the report tool.  The same Support tool.

Open your Downloads folder
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK

Thank you.

Here is the requested zip file. Thank you in advance for any help!

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thank you for the report file.

Your PC has the setup file already in the Downloads folder

mb3-setup-consumer-3.7.1.2839-1.0.586-1.0.10834.exe

Lets run that one more time.   Go to the Downloads folder.

1. Double click that file  to begin the setup.
  2. Follow the installation instructions to complete setup.

Watch all of the process. Have lots of patience.
Let me know how it goes. When setup has completed, my suggestion is always to do a Windows Restart.

Please let me know how this goes.

11 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thank you for the report file.

Your PC has the setup file already in the Downloads folder

mb3-setup-consumer-3.7.1.2839-1.0.586-1.0.10834.exe

Lets run that one more time.   Go to the Downloads folder.

1. Double click that file  to begin the setup.

Let me know how it goes. When setup has completed, my suggestion is always to do a Windows Restart.

I ran it. It wanted me to restart. I restarted (which was the automatic way after the program prompted me to do it), and now? Nothing. Literally nothing concerning MWB has happened. No errors, no "hey, run this". 

I appear to be out of the restart loop, but now I can't get MWB installed at all!

Sorry to hear that.  Just please do not make any changes on your own.

First thing I would like you to do is >  Use the Windows Start menu.

Look under the M section.   Look for Malwarebytes.

If you see it on the Start menu, then use that to manually start Malwarebytes program.

It may only be that the program does not ( now) have the Premium mode turned on.

Second ....also....need a fresh report, please.

Go to the folder Downloads

It has the report tool FRSTENGLISH.exe

Run Report with FRSTENGLISH

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2 logfiles on your desktop: _FRST.txt_ , _Addition.txt_ 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Thanks for the FRST reports.   I would also like to have the setup logs from the last install.   We can use the Support tool you already have.

mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe  is on the Downloads folder.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thanks for the FRST reports.   I would also like to have the setup logs from the last install.   We can use the Support tool you already have.

mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe  is on the Downloads folder.

Thank you.

I've just done this. Here's your zip file. Thank you for continuing to help me resolve this matter. 

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thanks for the last report set.  I had no idea that you had tried the install on your own so many times.  Looks like some 26 times.

Please do not do anything new on your own.  and if you have questions, stop and ask first.

We need to do some cleanups first, before we try anything else.

The following is 3 separate tasks.   To be done in order listed.

Always have lots of patience.  You should read all of the below all the way, just once, so you have a overall view.

[ 1 ]

I am sending a custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) in the Downloads folder 

The tool named FRSTENGLISH is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.bd863119398294a0393bf4f8874f7037.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

[ 2 ]

This is another cleanup.

Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) Clean Reinstall

• Open your Downloads folder.
  • Double click on mb-support-1.4.0.615     to run the tool.
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
  • Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
  • Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
  • Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.
  • After the reboot, please wait for the tool to reopen.  Have patience. Wait for it.
  • You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click NO.   <<< !

Then, when all is done, please lets do one  Windows Restart.   !!

[ 3 ]

the Malwarebytes installer is at this link

Please use this link

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first.

1. Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.7.1.2839-1.0.586 to start the Malwarebytes for Windows setup.

Please also  attach the Fixlog.txt in your reply.

Cheers,

fixlist.txt

22 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thanks for the last report set.  I had no idea that you had tried the install on your own so many times.  Looks like some 26 times.

Please do not do anything new on your own.  and if you have questions, stop and ask first.

We need to do some cleanups first, before we try anything else.

The following is 3 separate tasks.   To be done in order listed.

Always have lots of patience.  You should read all of the below all the way, just once, so you have a overall view.

[ 1 ]

I am sending a custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE AS and save it directly ( as is) in the Downloads folder 

The tool named FRSTENGLISH is already on the Downloads folder.

Start the Windows Explorer and then, open the Downloads folder.

Double click FRSTENGLISH to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.bd863119398294a0393bf4f8874f7037.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. Some machines take longer than others.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

[ 2 ]

This is another cleanup.

• Open your Downloads folder.
  • Double click on mb-support-1.4.0.615     to run the tool.
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
  • Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
  • Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
  • Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.
  • After the reboot, please wait for the tool to reopen.  Have patience. Wait for it.
  • You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click NO.   <<< !

Then, when all is done, please lets do one  Windows Restart.   !!

[ 3 ]

the Malwarebytes installer is at this link

Please use this link

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first.

1. Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.7.1.2839-1.0.586 to start the Malwarebytes for Windows setup.

Cheers,

fixlist.txtUnavailable

I can't begin, as the "fixlist" file is giving me a "forbidden" error when I try to download it from this site. I'll need that before I can begin. 

Regarding 26 or so times: this is around how much the computer rebooted. Again, it was a loop!

Okay, I finally got through to #2 on the list after @exile360 attached the newfixit. However - now when I click "clean" on step 2? It says "No Malwarebytes software found on your machine". 

Other than the sole reboot, I've done nothing else. What should I do next, since you've stressed I'm not to do any of this on my own, @Maurice Naggar?

Hi,

I understand that you complete suggestion # 1.   Good.

I understand you did do part # 2  & that it found no Malwarebytes.

Please proceed forward with part # 3  for a new install of Malwarebytes for Windows.

I expect a good new install.   When setup completes, start Malwarebytes from the Start menu.  Look at the display on the Dashboard   ( the first screen).

Thanks for your continued patience.

This time, I was halfway through install, and I got "An error occurred while trying to create a file in the destination folder: access is denied." The driver seems to be mbae64.sys, according to the error message. 

Pretty frustrating, as I thought we were almost done. Thanks for your continued help. What should I do now?

Sorry to hear that really.  Please continue to have Lots of Patience.

Go slow.  Take your time.  No rush.  This box has a pesky issue on the install.

Apparently due to multiple attempts to install, that leave things behind.

Our prior tasks 1 & 2 were intended to be cleanups.

Let's perform a clean re-installation of the latest Malwarebytes for Windows version using the Malwarebytes Support Tool.

This is designed to automate the clean uninstallation of the program, along with installation and activation of Malwarebytes for Windows Premium (if applicable).

•    Open your Downloads folder.
•    Double-click   mb-support-1.4.0.615     to run the program.
•    You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
•    Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
•    Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
•    Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.

Have loads of patience.

•    After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen.
•    You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click Yes.
•    Installation of Malwarebytes for Windows will commence shortly after.
•    Upon completion, Malwarebytes for Windows will automatically open.
•    Note: If installation of Malwarebytes for Windows does not commence, please let me know.

Then, when all is done, please lets do one final Windows Restart.

If you encounter any issues during the running of the tool, please let me know.
Please keep me advised after all this.

Thank you.

No.  Lets not do that.

Lets get a specific report for review.

Go to the Downloads folder.   There, is the tool FRSTENGLISH

Start FRSTENGLISH

Type the following into the search box exactly as show then press the Search Files button

SearchAll: mbae,mbam,malwarebytes

Please wait while the program searches for all entries relating to this program, when done a search.txt log will be saved to the desktop. Please attach this log to your next reply.

• Ried locked this topic