Can't add exclusions

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Is this a Dell computer?
Is it a laptop or desktop?
Which video card is in the computer? There appear to be drivers for both an AMD card and an NVIDIA card.

What is the exact Manufacturer, Model, Make, Express Tag or Serial number of the computer? - You can send me a private message for this if you want.

• Root Admin

I think it may be a good idea to create a new System Restore Point. Then follow the directions from the following topic and uninstall ALL your video drivers cleanly. Then get only the latest video drivers for the specific video card you have in your computer.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

• Root Admin

I would also like you to run the following fix once you get some rest.

It will remove a few other items that Avast left over as well as stop your RemotePC app from starting.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Ron

Ron

Here we go, this is a computer I built.  The attached file (Eds Computer) should give you all the information you might want.  If not, let me know what else might help you out.  Some of your instructions are getting are nearly over my head. I'll do my best to follow them.  I totally deleted all the AMD drivers and updated the NVIDIA drivers. I created a system restore point and have a cloned disk of my C drive. I ran First64 and then FIX.  There did not seem to be a problem.  I included the new FIRST and ADDITION files just in case you might need them.  Now I REALLY am going to try to get some sleep.  AGAIN, thanks for your continuing efforts.

Eds Computer.doc Fixlog.txt Addition.txt FRST.txt

• Root Admin

HP Support
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z420-workstation/5225033/model/5225035

This appears to be the UEFI BIOS when you got the system: UEFI: Hewlett-Packard J61 v03.91 10/17/2016

The logs indicate this is what is currently installed for your BIOS:
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard J61 v03.91 10/17/2016
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1589

So this is a newer version of your BIOS that HP recommends you update to.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z420-workstation/5225033/model/5225035/swItemId/wk-215123-1
HP Z420-Z620 Workstations System BIOS - 3.94 Rev.A  Jul 12, 2018
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp88501-89000/sp88961.exe

TITLE: HP Z420/Z620 Workstations System BIOS
VERSION: 3.94 REV: A PASS: 1

DESCRIPTION:
This package contains the System BIOS image and flash utilities for HP Z420/Z620 Workstations. These utilities can be used to restore or update the System BIOS. System BIOS is independent of the operating system. To determine the BIOS family and BIOS date, press F10 on the target workstation during Power On to run the Computer Setup Utility, and then select File/"System Information". This information can be saved into a text file on a USB flash media device by selecting File/"Save to Removable Storage Device".

PURPOSE: Critical
SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: SP88961.exe
SOFTPAQ MD5: 8077b61cdc43d2176a2898a70daf427b
SUPERSEDES: SP84163
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 12, 2018
CATEGORY: BIOS
SSM SUPPORTED: Yes

PRODUCT TYPE(S):
Workstations;Thin Clients
HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP Z420 Workstation
HP Z620 Workstation

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 All Editions (64-bit)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Emerging Markets
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

LANGUAGE(S): Global

ENHANCEMENTS:
The following enhancements have been made in BIOS version 03.94:
-Updates Intel processor microcode to 0x42D for Ivy Bridge-EP processors, 0x714 for Sandy Bridge-EP C2/M1 processors and 0x61d for Sandy Bridge-EP C1/M0 processors.
-Includes enhancement to mitigate CVE-2018-3639 and CVE-2018-3640.
-HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version.

Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) Enabled:
TPM1.2 PCR0 = F075B209C79AC56576B95F9B111941E96EE1C11E (SHA1)
Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) Disabled:
TPM1.2 PCR0 = 826FED70FD9663F791D9CB001CF01AE20AB465DF (SHA1)

The following fixes have been made in BIOS version 03.94:
-Fixes an issue where system could fail to boot after upgrading to Windows 10, version 1803.

PREREQUISITES:

HOW TO USE:
1. Insert a USB key into the computer that has the downloaded BIOS Softpaq. 2. Execute the Softpaq. 3. Select the Copy option from the GUI. Alternatively, the BIOS binary file is located in the following directory:C:\SWSETUP\SP88961\HPBIOSUPDREC 4. Copy the binary to the following directory on the USB key:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New 5. Insert the USB key into the workstation that is to be updated and reboot or boot the unit to the Startup menu by pressing Esc during POST (before the OS loads). 6. Use the arrow keys to select the "Flash System Bios" option. Follow the prompts to update the BIOS. Alternatively, the "Flash System Bios" feature is available in BIOS Setup from the Main menu.

Copyright Copyright (c) 2018 HP Development Company, L.P.

• Root Admin

Once you've updated your BIOS - please try to update Windows. The current release version for Windows 10 is 1903 you're on a build from 2017

Platform: Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 16299.1087 (X64) Language: English (United States)

image.png

Get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update

This will probably take an hour or more to complete the update. I'm going to be out tomorrow until late in the evening, but please post and let me know how things go.

Thanks

Ron

OMG, my age is showing.  I completely forgot which computer I was on.  The one I built is upstairs in the office.  I can't believe I am that stupid.  In any case, I'll do the BIOS Windows updates and let you know how I make out.  Have a great weekend and I'll talk to you later.

I managed to upgrade the BIOS without any problem. However, I can not update to the latest version of Windows.  It seems to go thru all the steps to update and finally says unable to install Windows 10 onto a USB device.  I had no USB device plugged in whatsoever.  I then get the message below.

image.thumb.png.a800f2f5e35a046e2ab83ddf00d58e43.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I will set up a ticket with HP later tonight.  I probably won't get an answer till next week.  Ron, I honestly do not remember what OS was on the system when I got it.  I think it was 7 or 8 and I installed Win 10.  I am sure I have the win 10 software and License Key.

• Root Admin

If you have an Acronis full image backup, and you have the license key both. Then what I'd like to try is backup all your personal data again, just in case. Then download the latest version of Windows 10 from Microsoft onto an 8GB USB thumb drive and install Windows 10 from scratch and see if there are any issues or not.

Let me know your thoughts

Ron, I REALLY would rather not do that.  With the raid configuration I am afraid there are just too many chances for a complete screw to happen.  Since the original web pages that I wanted to add as an exception are now working, if you can't come up with another fix I would rather live with the Malwarebytes problem.  Your thoughts?

• Root Admin

Agreed that RAID does add complexity. I agree with you that I would not make such a change for a single program issue on my computer. I apologize as I sometimes forget that this is not an exploration into what makes it tick and not everyone is quite into computers like I am and simply want to use them.

I would be concerned though with the Windows update error because at some point Microsoft will continue to keep making updates. Sooner or later without updates they will no longer support your computer.

As long as all is currently working aside from the exclusions add then yes, I would leave it alone.

Ron

• Root Admin

Unfortunately we were not able to come to a resolution to fix this issue. The computer is way behind on updates but even updates are having an issue updating. The user will contact HP and verify with them if his computer supports Windows 10 build 1903 and if so, then work with Microsoft to get the system updated.

Closing this topic for now, pending other possible solutions from HP, and Microsoft.

Thank you again @espilman for being such a great customer to work with.

Ron