MBAM wont open no matter what amid weirdness

I've already made a post but I feel it wasn't very clear, sorry! My issue is no matter what I do, I can't get MBAM to run. I tried updating it, then uninstalling and then reinstalling, I even got the premium version and the set up for it seems to have cleared fine (I can see the licensing files), but no matter what I do I can't get it to open. I ran Chameleon as well just in case malware was preventing it from running, but it keeps failing the update and not getting much farther.

There has been slightly strange activity on my computer as of late (including attempted "updates" from rsgmpsp.exe and rsgprsdk.exe from "Remo Software" which don't seem to be totally safe- I'm not sure google isn't much help) and I do use an antivirus (AVG) which I know can sometimes interfere- but I don't feel it would be wise to turn off AVG to run MBAM, especially if I do have an infection.

I would truly appreciate help, as I need to conduct business and receive invoices for work but I'm like turbo wary of entering my paypal password.

Here are my txt docs and the log from Chameleon. Thank you very much!

(ps anyone know how to delete my previous topic? heh)

Addition.txt chameleon log.txt FRST.txt

Hi, 

I will be helping and guiding you, going forward.

Please put away the mbam-chameleon & NOT use it at all.

That standalone is a old version & is not to be used with Malwarebytes 3.

It just has no modern, up-to-date knowledge of version 3.x

This pc now has two ( 2 ) different Malwarebytes versions.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043 
Malwarebytes version 3.7.1.2839

I would suggest to start ( first) with Uninstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043 

Lets use the normal Windows Uninstall applet to do that.

1. Type the Windows key+R to open the Run command.

2. Type control appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.
The Programs and Features window will appear.

3. Locate Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043  and click once to select it, then Right-click that line & pick  the Uninstall button.

Let that finish.

Be sure to do one Windows Restart.

[ 2 ]

We need to get additional  information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.4.0.615.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Hi,  Thank you for the support tool report file.

Lets do a clean-reinstall of Malwarebytes for Windows.

before starting in, please close all open work. Also, lets please do a Windows Restart.

I also want you to watch the whole process and keep a eye out for on screen prompts, especially later on during this first run. Keep a lookout for prompts during the later phases of the run. It may ask for a Restart of Windows. If so, it is critical to reply with YES

Let's perform a clean re-installation of the latest Malwarebytes for Windows version using our Malwarebytes Support Tool. This is designed to automate the clean uninstallation of our products, along with installation and activation of Malwarebytes for Windows Premium (if applicable).

Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) Clean Reinstall

• Open your Downloads folder.
  •  Double-click   mb-support-1.4.0.615 to run the program.
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
  • Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
  • Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
  • Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.
  • After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen.
  • You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click Yes.
  • Installation of Malwarebytes for Windows will commence shortly after.
  • Upon completion, Malwarebytes for Windows will automatically open.
  •  If installation of Malwarebytes for Windows does not commence, please let me know.

Then, when all is done, please lets do one final Windows Restart.

If you encounter any issues during the running of the tool, please let me know.

Please keep me advised after all this. Thank you.

Edited by Maurice Naggar
updated detail for support tool

Hi Maurice, thanks for the clear instructions!

I did as described, and all went well including the installation. However, MBAM did not open automatically. I waited a bit, then decided to try opening via the desktop icon. It didn't open then, either. So I decided to do the restart, and waited awhile, but MBAM did not open automatically upon restart. So, I tried using the desktop icon again, and it still will not open.

I am glad to hear the good news.

This pc runs Windows 10, which comes with Windows Defender, a very powerful antivirus.  You just need that.   No need to buy a  3rd party add-on.

Be sure to check on Windows Defender on Windows Settings.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

Then look on the left, and click on Windows Security.

Then look on the new tab display.

Look at Virus & Threat protection.  Does that line have a green check-icon ?

Click on the button at the top "Open Windows Security".

Does that open a new display?   Do the items listed show green checks?

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks