Yang

MalwareBytes 3.6.1.2711 Freezes Windows 10 Home x64

Hello,

I need help to find out why Malwarebytes Premium 3.6.1.2711 keeps freezing up my box (Windows 10 Home x64). Once frozen, the mouse, keyboard, and screen will all be locked up for up to 15 seconds (CPU 100% across all cores). This freeze can also be triggered by starting a manual scan from Malwarebytes dashboard.

Malwarebytes version: 3.6.1.2711    Component package version: 1.0.508     Update package version: 1.0.10620

My computer is just several months old and it was working fine without Malwarebytes installed. To avoid conflicts with other virus scanners, I have also removed McAfee LiveSafe from my system, but it doesn't help at all.

Has anyone experienced similar situations? Is there any patch or workaround for this problem? 

Thanks

Greetings,

A new version of Malwarebytes is available, version 3.7.1.  Hopefully it will correct the issues you're experiencing.  To install it open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Application and click on the Install Application Updates button and allow it to download and install the new version, then once it completes restart your system and test to see if the problem is now resolved.

If that fails to resolve the issue then please try performing a clean install to see if that eliminates the issues:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once that is done, if the problem still persists then please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your system and Malwarebytes installation:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes and provide the requested ZIP file if the problems still persist.

Thanks

The issue persists on the latest version 3.7.1 as well. The new version is actually slower and freezes my computer more often. Then I tried to disable Malwarebytes. Everything ran smoothly after disabling it so far. 

Attached is collected log file

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi,

Thanks for running the support tool report.

It appears that you used the Clean re-install procedure just today ( the 18th) near 10:07 AM local.

Could you confirm ?

Keep in mind it may take a few rounds, trying different things to get this pc normalized.  Patience & focus is helpful.

There was one completed scan run with Malwarebytes today that reported no malware.

Lets please start with the following tweaks.   We can do more later, as needed.

Start Malwarebytes.   Click Settings.   Click the Application tab.
Scroll down to Windows Action Center.
Click the line for "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center".
When done, close the window.

My next suggestion is to double check Windows 10 "Windows Security".
Click on Open Windows Security.  Double check that Windows Defender is ON.

You want to re-check in your Premium Malwarebytes, the setting for the Start time of the scheduled auto-scan task in Malwarebytes.

You do not want to have it set for 02:55 AM.   The report shows that time  But rather for a more realistic time when your Windows has been logged-into & up and running, with an additional pad of added time so that the Malwarebytes scheduler has had time to kick in.  Point being, be sure the auto scan is not a task that kicks ON just at near the time Windows is loaded up.

Lets change the auto-scan time to 11:30 AM

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings button.
Click on Scan Schedule tab. Click the line *normal* ( column type) and click Edit button ( as needed) to view and make adjustment

One other tip, you may also benefit from this next tweak.

Start Malwarebytes.   Click Settings.   Click the Application tab.

Scroll down to the section "Impact of Scans on System".

Click the choice "Lower the priority of manual scans to improve multitasking".

Cheers,

Hi @Yang,

Does the freeze occur consistently occur with manual Threat Scans or only sometimes? Are there any other actions/events in particular that typically trigger the issue?
How long have you had a Malwarebytes product installed? Is this new behaviour that previously did not occur with Malwarebytes installed?

It's unlikely related, but I would consider uninstalling PCAPro and rebooting. We do not recommend using software of this nature.

-----

Let's see if we can narrow down the source of the issue.
Please disable all Real-Time Protection modules in Malwarebytes (Dashboard -> disable each module on the right). Once done, verify if the issue persists or not.
If it doesn't, re-enable one module and check again. Repeat until you identify which module is responsible.

I tried Clean and Reinstall tonight. It froze for ~10 seconds during the last step of reinstall ! After the installation, I started a manual scan from the dashboard, and it froze during Check for Updates for ~10 seconds. The after the scan was completed, it froze while I was getting back to the browser pages. All 3 freezing incidents happened within 10 minutes...

I was able to reproduce the freezing 100% of the time by forcing a manual scan and all of them freeze at either "Check for Updates" or "Prescan Operation" stages.

After changing the settings to "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center", I was able to run manual scan one time without freeze (this is the first time that I was able to do it without a freeze), the other time with ~3 seconds freeze. So it is an improvement. However, my screen froze within 1 minute after I closed the scan summary dialog for a duration of 3~10 seconds. So my conclusion is that the setting change helped but not completely resolved the issue.

Attached is a new log file since Clean and Reinstall.

This particular computer is a new HP Envy desktop purchased in February.

By the way, I didn't see PCAPro installed under Settings/Apps, is the log file saying it is installed?

mbst-grab-results.zip

Unrelated to the freeze issue, I found out PCAPro was installed accidentally by my kid on her account only. That explains why I didn't see it under Settings/Apps as Admin at the first place.

Thanks for the update.

Did you manage to check if a particular Real-Time Protection module is involved?

Please disable all Real-Time Protection modules in Malwarebytes (Dashboard -> disable each module on the right). Once done, verify if the issue persists or not.
If it doesn't, re-enable one module and check again. Repeat until you identify which module is responsible. 

-----

Could you also try configuring mutual exclusions in Malwarebytes and Webroot. The article linked below lists out the Malwarebytes files/folders to add as exclusions in Webroot:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1123

For instructions on configuring exclusions in Malwarebytes, please refer to: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1130

Folders to add:

• C:\Program Files\Webroot
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Webroot
  • C:\ProgramData\WRData

Files to add:

• C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\WRkrn.sys
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wrUrlFlt.sys

Ensure the computer is restarted afterwards and check if this has any impact.

First of all, this freezing issue has nothing to do with Webroot, which I installed several days ago. There is no Webroot in the first set of log files I submitted.

I just did another clean install of Malwarebytes, as before, it froze during the last stage of installation for 5~10 seconds.

Then I followed the instructions, added the exclusion directories and files, and then I tried more than six manual scans. 

Here is what I found:

1. With Real-time protections turned on, it freezes during Pre-Scan Operations for 10 seconds or so. This also happens when I simply turn on one of the Real-time protection option.

2. With Real-time protections turned off, manual scans run smoothly (only had a 1~2 second freeze in one of three scans)

3. However, for some reasons, after each scan completion (real time protections turned off), when I close the Scan Complete notification, switch out of the Scan Success dialog, go back to the dashboard. The screen freezes for 10 seconds.

Attached are the log files.

MalwareBytes.jpg

MalwareBytes2.jpg

mbst-clean-results.txt mbst-grab-results.zip