Mac scan found keylogger

I did my first malwarebytes scan and it found the PUP.Aobo Keylogger it quarantined and deleted it automatically.  I never installed any keylogger so I'm wondering if this is a malicious program and what I should do. The only thing i can think of that could have installed this is that recently i installed some program and afterwards my browser would always hijack the search engine and i could never reset it to google. After i followed the malware removal process it told me to do a mawarebytes scan and i found this.

Also, If it is PUP, why did malwarebytes delete it?

It is only labeled as a PUP because it is commercially available and often installed for specific purposes (such as parental observation). If you never intended to install software that required such logging, then it probably was put there for malicious purposes.

Malwarebytes never deletes files until you go to Quarantine and click the “Clear Quarantine“ button with that file selected.

If you still have not been able to reset your search engine to Google, follow the appropriate instructions in this article: 

Edited by alvarnell

9 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

It is only labeled as a PUP because it is commercially available and often installed for specific purposes (such as parental observation). If you never intended to install software that required such logging, then it probably was put there for malicious purposes.

Malwarebytes never deletes files until you go to Quarantine and click the “Clear Quarantine“ button with that file selected.

If you still have not been able to reset your search engine to Google, follow the appropriate instructions in this article: 

Thanks. After the Malwarebytes scan was finished it showed "threats found and deleted" and listed the keylogger program and some adspigot thing. It said i needed to restart so I did.
I have quarantined files too, but I didn't clear those yet.

I got the search engine fixed

• Staff
2 hours ago, hota said:

I did my first malwarebytes scan and it found the PUP.Aobo Keylogger it quarantined and deleted it automatically.  I never installed any keylogger so I'm wondering if this is a malicious program and what I should do.

Any keylogger can be malicious; it all depends on the usage. In this case, Aobo is a "legitimate" keylogger that can be legally purchased. However, it would be illegal to install such a keylogger surreptitiously on someone else's computer.

This is not something that would be installed by an adware installer. Since you don't recall ever installing it, the most likely options are that either someone installed it on your computer without your knowledge (most likely someone you know, with physical access to your computer), or that you checked it out a long time ago out of curiosity and forgot about it, and there was still a component installed.

If you believe that someone may have installed it to spy on you, you should treat everything you have typed on that computer as compromised. Most particularly, any passwords you have typed should not be considered secure and should be changed.

Also, If it is PUP, why did malwarebytes delete it?

That is the Malwarebytes philosophy. PUPs - potentially unwanted programs - are only called "potentially unwanted" for legal reasons. We take a very hard stance against them, and will remove them by default. This includes all "legitimate" keyloggers.