Jump to content
MariuxReloaded

Malwarebytes Premium 3.7.1 doesn't start after booting my PC

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone¬†ūüėä

As the title says, every morning, when I turn my PC on, Malwarebytes Premium 3.7.1 doesn't start and I have to open it manually every time, with mixed results (sometimes it starts, sometimes not, until I restart my laptop many times, repeating this procedure).

I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2019, but, of course, I've added all the exclusions for Malwarebytes you've suggested (link at the end of this post), but nothing has changed¬†ūüėü

What else can I do?¬†ūüėē
Thank you very much in advance¬†ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

 

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:
 

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b
 

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

 

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

  • Renewals
  • Refunds (including¬†double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings,

Please try reinstalling the latest version over the top of your existing installation to see if it corrects the issue.  It can be downloaded from here.

Once that's done, if the issue still persists then it could be due to the fast startup feature in Windows.  This feature is known to cause problems with Malwarebytes and many other programs and drivers.  You'll find information on how to check and disable fast startup here and here.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Please try reinstalling the latest version over the top of your existing installation to see if it corrects the issue.  It can be downloaded from here.

Once that's done, if the issue still persists then it could be due to the fast startup feature in Windows.  This feature is known to cause problems with Malwarebytes and many other programs and drivers.  You'll find information on how to check and disable fast startup here and here.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks

Ok, I don't need to reinstall Malwarebytes, because the second option is the right one: the problem is the Fast Startup by Windows, since, on my desktop PC, which uses the same programs as my laptop, Malwarebytes opens immediately after booting, because my desktop is 6 years old, with an obsolete hardware, compared to my laptop, the Huawei Matebook X Pro.

I was suspecting that this could be the reason, but I was hoping for another origin. Now I don't know what to do, because Fast Startup is very useful and comfortable for my needs¬†ūüėē

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's up to you, however unfortunately because of Microsoft's implementation of Fast Startup it tends to cause problems with a lot of programs and hardware drivers.  The issue is in how they retain some components in memory (RAM) when the system is in its 'off' state vs shutting them down properly.  This is how it saves time on bootup, but it also has the unfortunate side effect of not initiating the full startup process for those components and other startups that are related to them normally.  This means that, because it keeps Malwarebytes' service and drivers stored in memory but terminates Malwarebytes' UI/tray process, once the system is started up again, the service never tries to start the tray/UI because the service itself is already running.  Normally the service loads, which loads the drivers and then loads the tray.  But because the service is already running uninterrupted (at least from the service's point of view this is how it appears), the service believes that it is already well past the initial startup process so it doesn't try to start the tray as it normally would.

Basically, Microsoft made a nice new feature but implemented it badly.  They didn't follow standard OS/service functions and APIs and selectively suspend certain components in memory to try and save on boot times.  It does save time, but it can lead to programs and system components behaving badly or even becoming corrupt.  In fact, if you have any software that for example has any kind of memory leak that would normally reset when the system is restarted, it will not do so if Fast Startup is enabled because the software just keeps running and consuming memory as though it had been active uninterrupted the entire time.  Obviously memory leaks are bad and technically a bug, but they do exist in some programs and drivers, and that's just one of the possible issues this feature can make worse.

Honestly, if you have a decently fast SSD then Fast Startup is unnecessary.  My Windows 7 system starts in a matter of just a few seconds, though I do have a decently fast CPU and a fast NVMe PCIe SSD (7th gen i7-7700K @4.6GHz and a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB) and 32GB of RAM.  For systems with slower CPUs, slower drives and less RAM where they have to use the paging file a lot it can definitely slow down boot times.  The irony is that Microsoft implemented this feature during a time when fast SSDs have pretty much become standard and relatively inexpensive as standard mechanical HDDs are on the decline, and over time this will render the Fast Startup feature obsolete.  It would have been far more useful during the Windows Vista and early Windows 7 era before SSDs became affordable for most consumers and before most system manufacturers started to offer most of their systems with SSDs for their OS/boot drives.  RAM is obviously still faster than an SSD so there is still some difference, but in real-world use the difference is quite negligible and the distinction in boot times is virtually unnoticeable under most circumstances.  That said, if you are using a mechanical HDD then I totally understand why you would want to keep this feature enabled.  Unfortunately it simply means you're going to have to deal with issues like this from time to time with software and drivers that aren't compatible/don't function properly with this feature.  You may be able to work around it by placing a shortcut to mbamtray.exe or mbam.exe in your Startup folder in the START menu or by creating an entry in one of the RUN keys in the registry for it but I'm not positive that would work either, but it might be worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, exile360 said:

It's up to you, however unfortunately because of Microsoft's implementation of Fast Startup it tends to cause problems with a lot of programs and hardware drivers.  The issue is in how they retain some components in memory (RAM) when the system is in its 'off' state vs shutting them down properly.  This is how it saves time on bootup, but it also has the unfortunate side effect of not initiating the full startup process for those components and other startups that are related to them normally.  This means that, because it keeps Malwarebytes' service and drivers stored in memory but terminates Malwarebytes' UI/tray process, once the system is started up again, the service never tries to start the tray/UI because the service itself is already running.  Normally the service loads, which loads the drivers and then loads the tray.  But because the service is already running uninterrupted (at least from the service's point of view this is how it appears), the service believes that it is already well past the initial startup process so it doesn't try to start the tray as it normally would.

Basically, Microsoft made a nice new feature but implemented it badly.  They didn't follow standard OS/service functions and APIs and selectively suspend certain components in memory to try and save on boot times.  It does save time, but it can lead to programs and system components behaving badly or even becoming corrupt.  In fact, if you have any software that for example has any kind of memory leak that would normally reset when the system is restarted, it will not do so if Fast Startup is enabled because the software just keeps running and consuming memory as though it had been active uninterrupted the entire time.  Obviously memory leaks are bad and technically a bug, but they do exist in some programs and drivers, and that's just one of the possible issues this feature can make worse.

Honestly, if you have a decently fast SSD then Fast Startup is unnecessary.  My Windows 7 system starts in a matter of just a few seconds, though I do have a decently fast CPU and a fast NVMe PCIe SSD (7th gen i7-7700K @4.6GHz and a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB) and 32GB of RAM.  For systems with slower CPUs, slower drives and less RAM where they have to use the paging file a lot it can definitely slow down boot times.  The irony is that Microsoft implemented this feature during a time when fast SSDs have pretty much become standard and relatively inexpensive as standard mechanical HDDs are on the decline, and over time this will render the Fast Startup feature obsolete.  It would have been far more useful during the Windows Vista and early Windows 7 era before SSDs became affordable for most consumers and before most system manufacturers started to offer most of their systems with SSDs for their OS/boot drives.  RAM is obviously still faster than an SSD so there is still some difference, but in real-world use the difference is quite negligible and the distinction in boot times is virtually unnoticeable under most circumstances.  That said, if you are using a mechanical HDD then I totally understand why you would want to keep this feature enabled.  Unfortunately it simply means you're going to have to deal with issues like this from time to time with software and drivers that aren't compatible/don't function properly with this feature.  You may be able to work around it by placing a shortcut to mbamtray.exe or mbam.exe in your Startup folder in the START menu or by creating an entry in one of the RUN keys in the registry for it but I'm not positive that would work either, but it might be worth a try.

Thank you very, very much, Exile, you've been really exhaustive¬†ūüėĀ

My Matebook X Pro mounts a Samsung SSD, because it's a laptop realised in 2018, so, after your explanation, I'll try disabling Fast Startup and I'll let you know¬†ūüėä

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok @exile360, nevermind: I've disabled Fast Startup, I've turned my laptop off, I've waited some minutes before turning it back on, I've passed the login process through my fingerprint, as usual, and the problem is still there¬†ūüėď

What I've noticed is that the only active Malwarebytes process after booting is "Malwarebytes Service".

Only after double-clicking on Malwarebytes icon to open it, all the other processes appear and the program starts running (this happens both with Fast Startup enabled and disabled)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then again I'd suggest trying a reinstall over the top with a fresh copy of Malwarebytes.  It may be that one of the startup components or drivers isn't installed/working properly for some reason and hopefully that will resolve it.

If it does not, then please do the following so that we may take a look at your installation to troubleshoot the issue further:

  1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Then again I'd suggest trying a reinstall over the top with a fresh copy of Malwarebytes.  It may be that one of the startup components or drivers isn't installed/working properly for some reason and hopefully that will resolve it.

If it does not, then please do the following so that we may take a look at your installation to troubleshoot the issue further:

 

  1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

 

Ok, I've performed the reinstallation over the preexisting program and now, even with the Fast Startup enabled, it seems that everything works well again¬†ūüėä

However, I'll continue keeping an eye on it in the next days.

Thank you very much, Exile¬†ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent, I'm glad that it helped :)

Yes, please let us know if you have any more trouble, but hopefully that takes care of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, exile360 said:

Excellent, I'm glad that it helped :)

Yes, please let us know if you have any more trouble, but hopefully that takes care of it.

Sure, but now that I've turned my laptop on, Malwarebytes has started without any problems, thanks¬†ūüėĀ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.