Fake Microsoft Windows Movie Maker download

there's this webpage: 

https://www.topwin-movie-maker.com/

they said the download is movie maker for windows 10,

but they weren't anything to do with microsoft,

but when you click to install, it installs a third party video editor and literally spams the windows 10 install partition with bloatware.

i know microsoft ship windows 10 with a lot of garbage on a fresh install, but this was nuts.

the c drive went from 366GB free to 85.2GB free.

i had to reinstall my windows 10 to get the space back as when uninstalling the apps, the process of the installer, which copied itself to a hidden directory,

blocked the uninstall prompts, and when i went to task manager to end the process, it would bluescreen every time..

luckily my product key had tied itself to my microsoft account and i had a backup windows 10 installer disk on hand.

i hope something can be done to stop this,

and that the website's pages could be added as malvertising and trojan on malwarebytes web-block.

if you can help with this, i'd be grateful.

thanks 😃

p.s. for those who work to help the malwarebytes application itself, if you ask me I can send over a copy of the installer for closer examination,

and some screen shots of the program itself before my windows 10 install went kaputt.

pic1.jpeg

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed live hyperlink

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

It is not a fake.  It is a site that produced a Movie Rendering software for Windows.

They are not stating they are Microsoft, they are stating the product is for Microsoft Windows. ( WinXP ~ Win10 )

As for  bloatware, I use a DVD Authoring where the installer is ~2GB.

The only question is the site states " Copyright (c) 2008 - 2019 " but the web site was created December '17.

• 1 year later...

I have been using TopWinMovieMaker for over 3 years now.  Yes, you do pay to take if you don't want the watermark, but it is a one off payment and that's it so you can make as many films as you want, ie 1 - 100+.  Their support has always been good and there are many features to use, that are being updated.  I have made many videos which include stills and video clips in the same film.  

I was a total novice at the beginning, but through trial and error, was so pleased with my first one (with watermark), I paid the one off price.  If it had not been any good, I would not have bothered but, it spurred me on to make more. Over the 3 years, I have become more and more advanced, mainly due to the ease of the system. 

I think Movato is the other one, this also charges for no watermark and probably works the same as TopWin.

If you want a one off film, perhaps Windows Movie is the one to use, I didn't like it myself and I don't know if it still exists.  To be fair, I googled Windows Movie Maker and I thought I had it, but didn't realise it was Topwin, but I can't fault them..  

• Root Admin

Please note this topic is well over a year old now. The current download of the program has 2 detections

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1836e0d3b604a096216ab696488c0fdc69053bfc2217aafafd5dcb2a790f9666/detection

As the topic is very old I will go ahead and close this topic