Unknown picture appeared on my desktop

An image named Hqdefault.jpg appeared on my desktop.
I didn't put it there.
I was doing some google searching and I clicked on a website were I remember seeing the photo.
I briefly scrolled the website and did not click on anything and then backed out.
I noticed the photo after booting the computer the next day.

I scanned with malwarebytes and nothing was found.
I trashed and deleted the photo.

Is this something to be worried about?

Hi CDC,

This sounds like a one off.   No, I would not be worried.   You report having deleted the JPG.   You report that the scan with Malwarebytes for Windows reported no malware.

Which web browser had you used on that occasion?   Which Windows version on this machine?

Cheers,

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi CDC,

This sounds like a one off.   No, I would not be worried.   You report having deleted the JPG.   You report that the scan with Malwarebytes for Windows reported no malware.

Which web browser had you used on that occasion?   Which Windows version on this machine?

Cheers,

Firefox 66.0.3, Windows 7

How can a image be saved to your desktop just by scrolling a web page?

Thanks for reply

Cant possibly tell how that one image file got  on the desktop.

Further to that, the file at issue has since been deleted.   No way to get any other info from it.

As to Firefox browser, the latest version is 66.0.5

Be sure to use the Firefox menu.   in Firefox, go to HELP About Firefox   and get the latest.

You may want to review all settings and Preferences on Mozilla Firefox browser.

I really don’t know for sure what website I was looking at.
I noticed the image on the desktop the next day after I turned on the computer.
I have my FF browser set to delete internet history when it closes, so I can’t look at previous internet history.
By using the image and the Google search keyword,  I was able to narrow it down to a website, but I’m afraid to click on the link.

I’m not for sure but I think this is the link.
“https://stopmodacruel.org/watch?v=iS_GvweY7_o”

Here is what the image looks like that was on my laptop.
https://img.youtube.com/vi/W9wzagWi8P4/hqdefault.jpg

I recall, the image was on the page just below a video player of what I think was  “Episode #44: Lyme Genomics with Dr. Bob Miller, CTN”.
I did not click on anything on the website.

I haven't updated Firefox to latest version yet because I'm waiting for the dust to settle after their add on certificate problem. 
I will review all settings and Preferences in Firefox.

Thanks for reply,.

Hi,
As I mentioned before, do check on all the Preferences and settings options on Firefox.

Also, take a couple of measures to help beef up Firefox.
[ 1 ]
Look at this Malwarebytes Labs Blog article
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Do the tips listed there for Firefox.
and if your pc runs Windows 10, do also the section for EDGE.

[ 2 ]
Get the beta Malwarebytes extension for Firefox
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/218646-malwarebytes-browser-extension-for-firefox-beta/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks